River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Jazz thank you. I used to prefer the Roll Calls section and recently have considered returning because of the plethora of Viking threads then realised that the more boats a company puts into the water the more questions from users there will be. Oh well less said soon as mended. As it seems several of my thoughts, rambling as they may be have been removed I expect this one will so could the Viking requests be put together so that all the other companies queries can be seen without having to wade through them?

Those on the East side of the Atlantic may be so engrossed in Euro2024 that they missed the start of Copa America with Argentina over Canada.  Issues with the pitch, grass installed over artificial turf just days ago. This may also be on issue at a few other venues with artificial turf. 

On 6/21/2024 at 9:46 AM, Canal archive said:

This may sound silly after the high water levels recently but please please please keep out of the sun in the next few weeks it’s going to be very very hot so protect yourselves.

Going to get hot here as well, high temperatures over much of Europe it seems. But basically just proper summer with us - 28 to 32 Celsius.

A weird June on the rivers with odd ship accidents, kind of jinxed it feels, lock problems, new shallows, more WWII bombs. Still too much water in the Rhine and Danube basins.

notamermaid

So .. cricket, still not so much.  But USA beating Bolivia 2-0 in Copa America:  ¡Olé!  

[As Flanders & Swann said in their satire about bull fighting:  'E 'as made an 'ole!]

Saw this photo on Facebook and had to chuckle---could someone let me know the Amsterdam location where the canals were filled in and planted with Keukenhof-quality tulip displays??

Photoshop out of control.

449088316_821642586729665_666191186499592881_n.jpg

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Saw this photo on Facebook and had to chuckle---could someone let me know the Amsterdam location where the canals were filled in and planted with Keukenhof-quality tulip displays??

Photoshop out of control.

449088316_821642586729665_666191186499592881_n.jpg

It’s not even Roy G Biv . . . no pride of workmanship 

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Just a bit late I know but have only just discovered that the water bottles Scenic provide are absolutely excellent for keeping water etc very cool. Very useful in our present heat wave.

You're certainly taking the name of this thread literally!  🤣

• Haha 1

Speaking of cooling down. I was wondering if I could ask for a bit of input. As part of my job I meet tourists but not that many and souvenirs - or as we in the trade call it, merchandise when we want to make money from it - are of interest to me. In this heat specifically baseball caps are a good thing to have to keep your head cooler. Is that still a thing to buy, you know, name of town x or a special place of interest printed on or sewn on it. It is regarded as a US-American thing mainly but other folks may buy the odd one, too. Do Canadians like them? British? Only men? What do you think? Is there even a collector among you folk?

Would be nice to hear from a few people out there in the Anglo-American world. :classic_smile: Australians welcome of course as well.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Speaking of cooling down. I was wondering if I could ask for a bit of input. As part of my job I meet tourists but not that many and souvenirs - or as we in the trade call it, merchandise when we want to make money from it - are of interest to me. In this heat specifically baseball caps are a good thing to have to keep your head cooler. Is that still a thing to buy, you know, name of town x or a special place of interest printed on or sewn on it. It is regarded as a US-American thing mainly but other folks may buy the odd one, too. Do Canadians like them? British? Only men? What do you think? Is there even a collector among you folk?

Would be nice to hear from a few people out there in the Anglo-American world. :classic_smile: Australians welcome of course as well.

notamermaid

I would think that for all men, regardless of nationality, that are follicularly challenged in the crainial area (such as yours truly), a ball cap is a necessity to avoid burning the top of one's head.

Edited by sharkster77

Judging by the souvenir stores everywhere I travel, baseball caps with the name of the city or country must be big sellers – unless I've been seeing the same tired stock year after year!  [But I think that only happens with church rummage sales...]

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

follicularly challenged in the crainial area

Now that is a nice roundabout expression I had not heard before. 😊

Makes a hat even more important for sure. I say hat, but it could be a cap of course. For me baseball caps are a modern thing, I do not think any male person in my family wore one before 1990 and I struggle to recall many occasions since then. We have hats and those caps that are more similar to the British type.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

baseball caps with the name of the city or country must be big sellers

Thanks. I have the suspicion that most of the ones in Europe all come from two factories in you know where.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

It has always been a thing for us Amis to wear such ball caps, but this pat two years I have seen many Europeans wearing baseball caps,often with American sports team logos, especially from the New York Yankees (sadly). Wish I saw a few more Red Sox "B" caps. Although the best American sports item I saw was a German guy from Regensburg I spoke to in Salzburg who was wearing a Boston Bruins ice hockey jersey.

On the other hand I bought caps for Jahn Regensburg and Pilsner Urquell while visiting their cities. 

RDVIK

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

I don’t think I have ever bought a baseball cap, but I have used Tilley hats brought from home for probably 20 years. (I am Canadian, but probably not typical.)

Tilley hats , ball caps and bucket hats each have their own fan base .  I will go out on a limb and say the older crowd with more monet go for Tilley and the younger fad followers embrace the at times more colourful bucket hats.

The biggest problem with ball caps is that they tend to blow away in strong winds. When hiking along the shore, I wear a bucket-type hat--no brim to catch the wind.

In cooler weather, the Irish-style flat caps are nice, as they don't tend to blow away as well.

(When you've been balding since your 20's, you pick up a lot of experience wearing hats...)

• Like 1