River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

As a non-Anglo I am sorry to say I did not get the plot... Why are the biscuits in the gravy?

The American Biscuit – The Biscuit Bestiary

What the UK & Europe would call a "biscuit", we call a "Cookie"

In the US, especially the southern US, Biscuits and Gravy is a classic breakfast dish:

Country Biscuits & Sausage Gravy | Cooking Mamas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As a non-Anglo I am sorry to say I did not get the plot... Why are the biscuits in the gravy?

notamermaid

UK refers to biscuits as what North Americans refer to as cookies. This is a photo of American (not a Canadian thing) biscuits and gravy.  I've never tried it, looks very unappetizing to me, however in the southern states, it's very common. Guess they would look at some of our dishes and think the same - poutine anyone? 🙂  

Sausage-Gravy-and-Biscuits-SQ-2.jpg

First time I had biscuits and gravy, it was cooked by my buddies German wife.  After she browned the sausage, I was waiting for the grease to be drained off.  Nope, not in her recipe.  It was good, just not something I seek out.

She was raised in a small farming village outside Wertheim, and was living in farm country Illinois when she made it for us, so no idea where she picked it up from.

Get it, thanks. Kinda - weird. So what is the American biscuit? Savoury or made out of what we call a biscuit dough? It is always sweet as far as I know: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biskuitmasse

The only that I can think of that seems similar is Yorkshire Pudding in gravy but you would not normally have meat in it.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Get it, thanks. Kinda - weird. So what is the American biscuit? Savoury or made out of what we call a biscuit dough? It is always sweet as far as I know: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biskuitmasse

The only that I can think of that seems similar is Yorkshire Pudding in gravy but you would not normally have meat in it.

notamermaid

46 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Just regular biscuit dough, neither sweet nor savory.

Often with a taste of baking soda.

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Just to say I’ve never tried it - that’s biscuits with gravy, it just doesn’t look or sound very appetising. Although I’m sure there are things we eat in Europe that wouldn’t tempt an American palate.

The part of an “English” breakfast that I always skip - blood pudding

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Does anyone know where those removed parts end up, I dread to think.

Haggis? Bangers?

This topic has somehow made me think of the "huge suspicious looking sausages in a scarlet pimpernel sauce" in Mrs. Miggins Pie Shop (later coffee shoppe) and the desperate French aristocrat nibbling on, well, something. :classic_wink:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526725/characters/nm0040814

One of my favourite things for breakfast is liver sausage spread.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

UK refers to biscuits as what North Americans refer to as cookies. This is a photo of American (not a Canadian thing) biscuits and gravy.  I've never tried it, looks very unappetizing to me, however in the southern states, it's very common. Guess they would look at some of our dishes and think the same - poutine anyone? 🙂  

Sausage-Gravy-and-Biscuits-SQ-2.jpg

I am from the South.  I won't touch biscuits and gravy but my husband loves it.   I ADORE poutine.  😃  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

The closest thing for Europeans would be a savory scone.   In the US, the biscuit will most often be savory, but sugar can be added to the dough if you are using it for dessert like Strawberry Shortcake or a cobbler.  We also have scones, but they are also different from biscuits.  

3 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

The closest thing for Europeans would be a savory scone.   In the US, the biscuit will most often be savory, but sugar can be added to the dough if you are using it for dessert like Strawberry Shortcake or a cobbler.  We also have scones, but they are also different from biscuits.  

Peach-Cobbler.jpg

Strawberry-Shortcake.jpg

Edited by screwsmcernst

Full English includes sausages - link sausages big fat ones are no no for me I prefer chipolatas  that’s skinny sausages but Cumberland style. I cannot stand black pudding but all the guys do so that’s never left off Christmas breakfast. 
Another conundrum if you live out of the U.K. on a cream tea is it scone, cream, strawberry jam or scone, strawberry jam, cream? It is just a tad of a trick question!

Scones rise, biscuits don’t there flat.

44 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Full English includes sausages - link sausages big fat ones are no no for me I prefer chipolatas  that’s skinny sausages but Cumberland style. I cannot stand black pudding but all the guys do so that’s never left off Christmas breakfast. 
Another conundrum if you live out of the U.K. on a cream tea is it scone, cream, strawberry jam or scone, strawberry jam, cream? It is just a tad of a trick question!

Scones rise, biscuits don’t there flat.

I didn't know there was a "rule" but I always do scone, jam and then cream on top....no?