Pride - Port or Starboard

cellfree

If you really want to have the experience, get an Extended Balcony on the rear of the ship. deck 4 if you want shade. Deck 5-7 if it doesn't matter.  Deck 8 is under the Serentiy area so can be noisy.

Karen

Edited by yogibear

Why would you use a ships name to reference port or starboard? I guarantee you, no matter the name of the ship or the cruise line, port and starboard are the same. Too many variables at various ports on any itinerary to know which side will face the dock. I've got to think that you asked this question in jest. Certainly not with serious intent. I will say this, if the ship is going backwards from north northwest  to south southeast it's a whole different ballgame.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

33 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Why would you use a ships name to reference port or starboard? I guarantee you, no matter the name of the ship or the cruise line, port and starboard are the same. Too many variables at various ports on any itinerary to know which side will face the dock. I've got to think that you asked this question in jest. Certainly not with serious intent. I will say this, if the ship is going backwards from north northwest  to south southeast it's a whole different ballgame.

Well I did not ask my question "in jest." I realize all ships have a port and a starboard. I was investigating the Pride and hence that became part of my topic line. I have always heard the expression "no question is a stupid one" but apparently you think mine was.

• Like 1

Cell free, this question is asked many times, often with the same range of answers.  I submit that the main difference is in sunrise/sunset, so when going south, the port side will face the morning sun and starboard will give you the setting sun.  That will reverse when you go north.  You can choose your sun exposure accordingly.

As far as dock and sea views when in port, many who ask that question seem to prefer facing the port.  I had a sea view in St Croix perhaps in Jan/Feb., where I spotted 3 whales, 2 adults and a calf, maybe 200 yds away.  If I were facing the land, I would have never seen that magnificent sight!  I would of course seen any pier runners, but the whale sighting was so unexpectedly special!

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Because the answer can vary depending on homeport and itinerary, so mentioning the ship accounts for those factors in a general way.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Because the answer can vary depending on homeport and itinerary, so mentioning the ship accounts for those factors in a general way.

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

But mentioning the itinerary would help so much more.  EM

Ah great suggestion, it is as follows:  TPA, Grand Cayman, Mahonany Bay, Belize, Cozumel, TPA, realizing ports can change any time. We are not really port people, we enjoy "enjoying" the ship.

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

Ah great suggestion, it is as follows:  TPA, Grand Cayman, Mahonany Bay, Belize, Cozumel, TPA, realizing ports can change any time. We are not really port people, we enjoy "enjoying" the ship.

Grand Cayman and Belize are tender ports so the side really doesn’t matter there in my opinion. We have been to Mahogany Bay a half-dozen times or so. The pier has always been on the starboard side of the ship when we have gone there, but the views are good on both sides.  We have been to Cozumel countless times and similar to Nassua, there has been no consistency on how ships anchor to the pier there. 

When leaving the Port of Tampa, the port side gives you a view of Hillsborough County while the starboard side gives you a view of Pinellas County. Both views are good in my opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Never really mattered to me as long as we were on a Boat. Never had a bad cabin with most of them being inside.    

I agree, we have never had a bad cabin either, and until now have always booked Interior Cabins. First time starting to book Balconies (decided may as well spend our kids inheritance and have lost a year of cruising and yada yada yada) and so asking out of curiosity what Balcony Cruisers thought.

We have sailed 10 times on the Pride and all but one time we were on the starboard side.  Based on our experience sailing on the Pride most of the time the starboard side was pier side, but it depends on the port and how many ships are entering the port.  We have stayed in obstructed view to the larger extended balcony staterooms and would agree with others most balconies are great, but I would try to stay away from inside corner balcony staterooms of possible, for example staterooms 7206 & 6220.   

Many years ago, when ships stayed close to the mainland just in case, there was a rule for traveling from Europe to the East. If you could afford to, you would book port cabins traveling outbound and starboard when traveling back home--thereby securing great views of the land, cities, etc at all times. Some people believe that this was the origin of the the word POSH-----Port Out, Starboard Home.

1 hour ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Many years ago, when ships stayed close to the mainland just in case, there was a rule for traveling from Europe to the East. If you could afford to, you would book port cabins traveling outbound and starboard when traveling back home--thereby securing great views of the land, cities, etc at all times. Some people believe that this was the origin of the the word POSH-----Port Out, Starboard Home.

Interesting, so I looked up the etymology of posh and found numerous entries like this:

posh (adj.) by 1914 (1903 as push), a word of uncertain origin, but there is no evidence for the common derivation from an acronym of port outward, starboard ...