What if we do not want Medallion Class on PCL ?

skidroe

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But these days nearly all the Smartphones are compatible with systems around the world.  For those that use T-Mobile their phones will work in over 210 countries.  Most T-Mobile accounts include all that coverage (with no additional monthly fees).  Other cell phone providers such as Verizon and ATT have extra cost options for those that need to expand their coverage when on a trip.

I am well versed in mobiles and have used them around the world, however we don't have T-Mobile here and many phone companies make it a hassle to get overseas roaming. I used to get it automatically but I know my provider in Australia (Telstra, the largest provider by far) are changing access to overseas roaming. They haven't told me what the new options are going to be as yet, in relation to how I pay for their service. I refuse to go on a plan and I always just pre pay in advance.

I use wi-fi connections everywhere to connect to the Net and make video calls, but if you need a wi-fi connection at the port (assuming you do not have mobile coverage) to bring up your booking, then that will be chaos. I was on a Medallion cruise in Alaska last year and had downloaded our boarding passes on the phone prior, but many people will be unfamiliar with how to do that.

There will always have to be other options. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leck57 said:

I am well versed in mobiles and have used them around the world, however we don't have T-Mobile here and many phone companies make it a hassle to get overseas roaming. I used to get it automatically but I know my provider in Australia (Telstra, the largest provider by far) are changing access to overseas roaming. They haven't told me what the new options are going to be as yet, in relation to how I pay for their service. I refuse to go on a plan and I always just pre pay in advance.

I use wi-fi connections everywhere to connect to the Net and make video calls, but if you need a wi-fi connection at the port (assuming you do not have mobile coverage) to bring up your booking, then that will be chaos. I was on a Medallion cruise in Alaska last year and had downloaded our boarding passes on the phone prior, but many people will be unfamiliar with how to do that.

There will always have to be other options. 

On one trip I took to Europe,  I was able to buy a relatively inexpensive sim card to put into my phone which connected me to the local network provider.  Can's that still be an option?

All this discussion about smart phones is a bit confusing....

even if Princess requires you to have the Medallion....I don't think that means you are required to have a smart phone.....? I thought you could set it up online and just not use all the features. Onboard you can used those big screens they have everywhere if you want to use the functionality.

I have a smart phone, so no issues for me, but I think this might be confusing to others.

...Unless I missed something in this very long thread?

5 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Nope.  Actually physically turning off the mobile phone shuts down all electronic operations.  A totally "off" phone is not trackable.  A phone that is simply not in use, but "on," can be tracked.

There is malware that can get installed on your phone without your knowledge.  Some of this malware is designed to simulate the phone being turned off.  The only to know for sure is to remove the battery.

3 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

All this discussion about smart phones is a bit confusing....

even if Princess requires you to have the Medallion....I don't think that means you are required to have a smart phone.....? I thought you could set it up online and just not use all the features. Onboard you can used those big screens they have everywhere if you want to use the functionality.

I have a smart phone, so no issues for me, but I think this might be confusing to others.

...Unless I missed something in this very long thread?

Correct (at least it was on my 2 medallion cruises).

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

There is malware that can get installed on your phone without your knowledge.  Some of this malware is designed to simulate the phone being turned off.  The only to know for sure is to remove the battery.

How do you remove the battery on a Samsung S9?

44 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Correct (at least it was on my 2 medallion cruises).

How do you remove the battery on a Samsung S9?

Here is a link to the owner manual

Samsung Galaxy S9 | S9+ G960U1/G965U1 User Manual

If it's not possible to remove the battery from your device, I'd remove the SIM card to disable the phone.

I'm not suggesting that this be done each time you want to turn the phone off, but if you find yourself in a position where you need to be sure the phone cannot be tracked I suggest doing more than merely powering down the phone.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That is known as malicious rumormongering.  Yes - malware can be hidden on an Android phone that makes it appear to be off.  Usually such attacks are directed at specific individuals working in or on sensitive/classified areas and projects.  The Israelis are well know for this type of targeting of American officials in Israel.  Which is why Americans attached to the embassy there are forbidden to have phone and those that are must leave the phones outside any sensitive building.  The "average" person with a mobile phone really has no worry about being "tracked," especially on a ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

On one trip I took to Europe,  I was able to buy a relatively inexpensive sim card to put into my phone which connected me to the local network provider.  Can's that still be an option?

Yeah this is definitely an option. The only trouble with this option is that you don't have your usual number so no one can call/text you on the usual contact number.

31 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

That is known as malicious rumormongering.  Yes - malware can be hidden on an Android phone that makes it appear to be off.  Usually such attacks are directed at specific individuals working in or on sensitive/classified areas and projects.  The Israelis are well know for this type of targeting of American officials in Israel.  Which is why Americans attached to the embassy there are forbidden to have phone and those that are must leave the phones outside any sensitive building.  The "average" person with a mobile phone really has no worry about being "tracked," especially on a ship.

I'm sure there are any numbers of victims of domestic violence and stalking who would disagree with your assessment.  There's a very good reason why I'm so sure of that.

Referring to me as a malicious rumormonger has made me feel very bad.  I hope I get to sleep tonight.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:24 AM, Hlitner said:

It can be difficult for we ole folks to adjust to new gadgets.  But Smartphones have become such an important part of our lives that they are almost as important as putting on your clothes.  Consider the state of things regarding phones.  When DW was visiting our home her phone vibrated because her sophisticated alarm system (in her NYC Condo) was triggered.  She simply checked her phone and within a few seconds had an enlarged picture of a large NYC Cockroach crawling across her bed (which triggered a motion detector).  When folks are away they can monitor the climate control systems in their homes, whether their fridge and freezer are properly functioning, who is at the front door, etc.  If somebody needs to get in your home you can remotely open your garage door, turn on the lights, turn off the alarm, etc.  

When I plan a long two month driving trip in Europe I can book my air, hotels, rental apartments, rental car, meal reservations (after reading reviews), plan itineraries, etc. without ever doing anything but using my phone.  When I get to some hotels I can skip the front desk and go directly to my room using my phone as the electronic room key.  If I get lost in a strange city (anywhere in the world) my phone can quickly plot my location and give me directions to the nearest bathroom (if need be).

I am still an old fogie and think of phones as something sued to make a call.  But the reality is that I cannot imagine life without a working Smartphone.  And the best benefit is that our Grandchildren know what we look like, how we sound, etc :).  And that,  my friends, is all it takes to make the darn phone invaluable.

Hank

Hi again Hank:

Like I said, happy you enjoy all these features.  My DH is 88, because of his age, we are not traveling nearly as much, even though both of us are very healthy for our ages.  We have slowed down a bit.  We were independent travelers for many years.   Now we are content to do a cruise down to Mexico round trip from San Francisco, simply take a taxi to the ship.    I retired in l999 for the first time, over 20 years we traveled 2-3 times a year.  I worked part time just to support our travel budget.  I retired again in Feb 2020, with virus, plus my DH age I don't plan to go back to work again.   We have only one international trip we want to make from San Francisco to Israel when this virus passes.  I maintain a land line because friends and family in Israel know our number and to be honest hearing calls a flip cell phone does not work for me.  I actually have a prepaid flip phone, so that tells you I don't use it much at all.   My life style is simple, prefer doing business the old fashion way.  When we go to the bank staff know us personally. Rarely stand in line because I go when the bank is not busy.  I don't use an ATM either, figure it puts folks out of work.  My DH was originally from Paris, has been here 55 years.  When I first met him he paid all his bills in cash, shopping and personal business was a social activity (LOL).  I did get him to get a credit card at some point but he has never been on or near a computer.  While technology has it benefits it is also is complicating people lives at lot.  Now folks work 24/7 with very little down time.  I use as little as possible  of all this technology and only what I really need, I prefer to keep it simple.  Works for us, just like all this technology obviously works for you too.  There is room for both life style approaches in this day and age.    Happy travels to you and wife. 

• Like 1