What if we do not want Medallion Class on PCL ?

skidroe

I fully expect Princess to come out at some point in time and state that the OM is MANDATORY - so people with pacemakers, other medical concerns, or other tinfoil hat worries about 'tracking' should start looking at other lines or other methods to spend their vacation $$$

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I fully expect Princess to come out at some point in time and state that the OM is MANDATORY - so people with pacemakers, other medical concerns, or other tinfoil hat worries about 'tracking' should start looking at other lines or other methods to spend their vacation $$$

The medallion disk may be the only on board option at some point, but I don't believe use of the medallion app, pre cruise or on board will be the only options for at least 10 years. 

So you are saying that Princess will basically tell all its current and potential customers with medical concerns that their business is not wanted.  Highly unlikely or even within the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tgwabd11 said:

The only thing that I did not like about the medallions, was that when ever you passed one of the screens on the stairs or public areas, you name and picture would pop up on the screen..

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I believe you can eliminate that feature from appearing on any screen either with your cell phone or asking them at the PSD.

If you use the Ocean Medallion app (I don't remember what it is called.) to set up your account, you have the option of capturing two photographs.  One, as is mentioned in Post #93. is the "Security Photo," the one that appears on the a crew persons device when your use the Medallion for functions like purchases or leaving/boarding the ship.  The second photo (and I do not recall what that was called, either) is, basically, an avatar that will display on the public screens or on your cabin door as you approach.  My wife used a picture of our cat for her second photo.  I used a terrible picture of me on an Alaska cruise in bright sunlight wearing sunglasses and a cap--hiding my baldy pate.

I was unaware of the option mentioned by MissP22, but that sounds effective.

My one experience on an Ocean Medallion cruise is that the public boards were pretty intermittent about displaying our avatar picture.  Sometimes it did, an sometimes it didn't.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Potstech said:

customers with medical concerns

in the context of wanting a card instead of an OM only - which I'm not sure what those would be other than a pacemaker or other inserted medical device, of which I have no clue what those would be

help me out here ...

in the context of wanting a card instead of an OM only - which I'm not sure what those would be other than a pacemaker or other inserted medical device, of which I have no clue what those would be

help me out here ...

A card fits in my wallet

• Like 1

My medallion fits in my pocket or on a clip with 3' lead, never needed to unclip it, and my picture is my avatar. Also I do not believe the medallion interferes with pacemakers. So IMHO this is all about Fear of Change ..... and change is here (just sped up due to Covid-19)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:
5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

mainly

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Even on shore excursions?

yep, mainly - wife puts DL in her RFD tinfoil lined cross body with locks and sirens purse

Edited by voljeep
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

My medallion fits in my pocket or on a clip with 3' lead, never needed to unclip it, and my picture is my avatar. Also I do not believe the medallion interferes with pacemakers. So IMHO this is all about Fear of Change ..... and change is here (just sped up due to Covid-19)

My last cruise was on Regal with OM.  I kept the medallion in a belt clip and I frequently had to remove it and pass it over to a sales clerk or bartender.  I personally don't have any problem with the medallion, but I can understand why some people want to keep using the card.  BTW, we had to replace DW's medallion twice on a 7 day cruise.  The battery wasn't strong enough to make it work.

32 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My last cruise was on Regal with OM.  I kept the medallion in a belt clip and I frequently had to remove it and pass it over to a sales clerk or bartender.

My clip has a 3' lead so I never had that issue. Here's an online sample ----

20201209_133930.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

help me out here ...

No can do..  You can dig your own hole all by yourself. Again

On 12/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, Ombud said:

20201209_133930.jpg

Just in case you want a prettier one but it only extends 21" whereas mine goes 3' 

https://www.brighton.com/product/necklaces/36956-155785/contempo-contempo-clip-on-badge-clip.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuJLG-8_I7QIVWzgBCh2s6g5aEAEYASACEgKUSvD_BwE

Edited by Ombud

Yes, big brother is watching :).  We have done a few Medallion cruises and it was no big deal.  DW usually does not even bother with her smartphone which is usually turned off and locked in the cabin safe.  I will normally take my phone but don't even bother to turn it on unless I need to use it for something (such as unlocking the cabin door or buying a drink).  On our last Princess cruise (prior to COVID) we didn't even turn on the phone to buy most drinks since the bartenders got to know us or they simply ask our name/cabin number and entered it into their system.  

But i do think folks need to accept that carrying a Smartphone is quickly becoming the norm and is often a necessity for travel (on land or sea).   It sounds like many of the airlines will soon agree to use a Vaccine Passport App in order to ascertain that all their passengers have been vaccinated against COVID.  Those that don't want to use this app (assuming this is adopted) will just not fly.  The government of Japan is considering the use of a mandatory smartphone app for all tourists/visitors to their country.  This app will track your whereabouts and require you to submit a daily health status report.  China seems to be moving that same way.  Those that do not own a SmartPhone will likely need to rent one at their port of entry.

I should also mention that even hotel have been adopting smartphone technology.  When we go to just about any Hilton product everything (booking, checking in, getting a room assignment, etc) is done on our phone HIlton app.  Once at the hotel we do not even need to stop (and wait in a slow line) at the front desk.  Our phone also serves as our room key...so we simply walk in the hotel and go directly to our room (totally contactless).  In many restaurants the only way to get a menu is to use your phone to scan a QR code which brings the menu up on your phone (contactless).  When we fly our airline apps give us immediate information regarding our luggage location, flight changes, etc.  When we rent a car anywhere in the world we can use our phone as a GPS system.  In many parts of the world we can use our phone's contactless systems to charge items without having to dig out a credit card.   And of course the most important use of all is that we can Facetime with our Grandchildren from just about anywhere in the world :).

Hank

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 4:41 PM, Ombud said:

20201209_133930.jpg

This is exactly the style both my wife & I use, clips to my belt and hers to her purse. She enjoys the smartphone feature of being able to just order her drink without getting up to get it, but after a few of those... well most of you know how that story can go..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, big brother is watching :).  We have done a few Medallion cruises and it was no big deal.  DW usually does not even bother with her smartphone which is usually turned off and locked in the cabin safe.  I will normally take my phone but don't even bother to turn it on unless I need to use it for something (such as unlocking the cabin door or buying a drink).  On our last Princess cruise (prior to COVID) we didn't even turn on the phone to buy most drinks since the bartenders got to know us or they simply ask our name/cabin number and entered it into their system.  

Huh?

In your paragraph above you imply, if not explicitly state, that your smartphone is required on a Medallion cruise in order to unlock your cabin door or to buy a drink.  That is not correct.  The cabin door lock responds to a signal directly from the medallion, not your smartphone.  Similarly, the bartender's reader responds to a signal from the Medallion, not any smartphone.

There is a function in one of the Ocean apps to use your smartphone to order drinks, but your comment above seems to state that you are placing the order directly with the bartender.

This just dawned on me, I'll bet that you meant to say that you do not turn on your smartphone unless you want to use one of the Princess@Sea functions such as checking your folio or checking the schedule of ship activities.  I know that sometimes I get sidetracked in my writing and end up way off base,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have 34 cameras at work.  The system keeps video for 21 days.  It was under $100,000.  You can highlight a person and the video can track the person in the building.  I am sure hotels and cruise ships, can do the same and have much better equipment than we do at work.  It’s everywhere now.  No escaping it even by locking your medallion in the safe.