Princess Grill or Queens Grill

buchanan101

18 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

A great favourite of ours!

A couple of years ago, when we were served the shredded duck and pancakes etc., our waiter and his assistant turned up with tongs and stood at our table. I asked them what they were doing. He replied that they were going to make up each pancake for us.

I had to explain that making your own and getting messy is part of the fun and asked for finger bowls instead.

Delicious. And yes, finger bowls are essential. 

Were they going to make them all up once or wait until you had eaten one to then make you another? And then repeat? Would they have fed them to you as well I wonder? 😂 

If they have it on board, they will make it. In the days of the original Queen Mary, allegedly one dinner story goes that a man asked for elephant and the maître de replied ‘would sir like African or Indian?’ 

I do love dining on Cunard. My waistline does not. I don’t know how anyone does a world cruise! So many meals...

4 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Delicious. And yes, finger bowls are essential. 

Were they going to make them all up once or wait until you had eaten one to then make you another? And then repeat? Would they have fed them to you as well I wonder? 😂 

If they have it on board, they will make it. In the days of the original Queen Mary, allegedly one dinner story goes that a man asked for elephant and the maître de replied ‘would sir like African or Indian?’ 

I do love dining on Cunard. My waistline does not. I don’t know how anyone does a world cruise! So many meals...

Apocryphal or not, that was the famous Andrew Nelder. He was our very first Maitre'd.  A true gentleman. 

The Grills experience on the QM2 is very special indeed.  For us we find PG to be the sweet spot, a stateroom that is big enough (although the extra room in a QG stateroom is very welcome), all the perks that come with the Grills very nice and well used by us, and a pleasant dining experience, a bit more convivial than QG. But what makes it a sweet spot is that generally the cost is quite a bit less than QG so my bottom line is that the QG is not worth the extra expense.  But if you can get an upgrade to QG for a modest amount, and you want to have a truly special experience, try out QG.  Why not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

The Grills experience on the QM2 is very special indeed.  For us we find PG to be the sweet spot, a stateroom that is big enough (although the extra room in a QG stateroom is very welcome), all the perks that come with the Grills very nice and well used by us, and a pleasant dining experience, a bit more convivial than QG. But what makes it a sweet spot is that generally the cost is quite a bit less than QG so my bottom line is that the QG is not worth the extra expense.  But if you can get an upgrade to QG for a modest amount, and you want to have a truly special experience, try out QG.  Why not?

You're the second person in this post to say that PG is more convivial than QG.

Can you elaborate

I agree with everything that TV24 said. Our go to cabin grade is Princess Grill. We've done both. Although an upgrade to the Q'sG would be lovely and we would most certainly not turn it down, we've been very happy with the PG. I think it's a little less stuffy, passengers are friendlier and I think a shade younger. We do not care for the maitre'd in the Q's G, but that would not discourage us if we got an upgrade. I think the mood in PG is a little lighter, tho still very professional. More smiling, laughing and welcoming, but that's only my opinion. Yes, PG cabins are smaller but are truly spacious for 2 people.

As I said before, you can't go wrong with either.

8 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I agree with everything that TV24 said. Our go to cabin grade is Princess Grill. We've done both. Although an upgrade to the Q'sG would be lovely and we would most certainly not turn it down, we've been very happy with the PG. I think it's a little less stuffy, passengers are friendlier and I think a shade younger. We do not care for the maitre'd in the Q's G, but that would not discourage us if we got an upgrade. I think the mood in PG is a little lighter, tho still very professional. More smiling, laughing and welcoming, but that's only my opinion. Yes, PG cabins are smaller but are truly spacious for 2 people.

As I said before, you can't go wrong with either.

I hear that from people a lot, that PG isn’t as stuffy as QG. All my QG dining experiences have been fantastic. I have always dined at a large table and people have been convivial and not stuffy in the least. 

Quite the contrary, the worst dining companions I have encountered were in Britannia, from the grumbling penny pinching man from the Midlands who could never be pleased to the woman who appointed herself head of the table and tried to enforce a seating plan and told people what to order (I moved tables after two nights, the first and only time I have ever had to do that on Cunard). 

I am curious what experiences people have had in QG that led to this view of stuffiness...?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tv24 said:

'... and you want to have a truly special experience, try out QG.  Why not?'

Couldn't agree more tv24. Particularly your opening line.

1 hour ago, Austcruiser84 said:

I hear that from people a lot, that PG isn’t as stuffy as QG. All my QG dining experiences have been fantastic. I have always dined at a large table and people have been convivial and not stuffy in the least. 

Quite the contrary, the worst dining companions I have encountered were in Britannia, from the grumbling penny pinching man from the Midlands who could never be pleased to the woman who appointed herself head of the table and tried to enforce a seating plan and told people what to order (I moved tables after two nights, the first and only time I have ever had to do that on Cunard). 

I am curious what experiences people have had in QG that led to this view of stuffiness...?

Hi Austcruiser.

A little anecdote for you.

Some years back we sailed on QM2 Queens Grill, 56 nights Westbound to Sydney around Cape Horn and crossing the Pacific.

While we had the perfect table (pre booked) with the same excellent company  for the whole voyage, there were occasions when we felt a change of company and level of conversation would be nice. I'd already noted that the Maitre d' for the Britannia Restaurant had looked after us very well when in the Princess Grill so I approached him and asked was it possible we could have an evening dining in Britannia. 

Needless to say the answer was in the affirmative and we could just arrive at any dinner subject to the opening times.

So one formal night we did just that - having given our QG table companions the 'heads up' -  and the Britannia Maître d', by the name of Jamie, sat us on a table for eight with one British couple and two Australian couples. Needless to say we had a great evening and repeated the experience on one other occasion.

During the meal it was most interesting to note that our Queens Grill Maître d', who was also the Senior Maître d', arrived at the table and asked 'if everything was alright'?

I naturally assumed that, as a matter of course, Jamie had informed the Senior Maître d' that two of his guests were dining elsewhere. 

Edited by Solent Richard

6 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

First off, we would happily accept a Queen's Grill upgrade if offered one. There isn't a thing wrong with the Q's G, it's just a personal preference for us to choose the PG.

Stuffiness is hard to describe in words. Like a bad smell you've never encountered before. What it is, I don't know, but I do know I don't like it. Sorry to be so crass, but it's some sort of atmosphere that's hard to put in words. I know that probably doesn't help. 

I'll try for some examples...

People who obviously hear you when you say "Good Evening" and don't respond (not deaf, btw)

One upsmanship...(is that a word?!)...."oh we've been there before...it was awful..." " this is cruise 475 for us..."  "what wine are you drinking? oh, we've had that one, it isn't very good..."

The maitre 'd, never made us feel very welcome for some odd reason....all dealing were very curt...I have no idea why.

Of course these are all things that could happen in ANY dining room, but for the most part it was the Q's G. for us. On our last few cruises on the QM2 we opted to try the PG. It has been a  much better fit for us.

No matter what cabin grade you are in, we hope you all have a wonderful cruise when and if we get to go anywhere!

We have never encountered any kind of atmosphere or bad smell when we have been in QG only lovely like minded people who enjoy the luxury and ambiance of being in QG , but have in Britannia restaurant which is very sad because no matter where or what grade cabin you’re in Cunard give a first class experience to everyone and personally when it’s safe I can’t wait to be back on board in any grade of cabin.

1 minute ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We have never encountered any kind of atmosphere or bad smell when we have been in QG only lovely like minded people who enjoy the luxury and ambiance of being in QG , but have in Britannia restaurant which is very sad because no matter where or what grade cabin you’re in Cunard give a first class experience to everyone and personally when it’s safe I can’t wait to be back on board in any grade of cabin.

Not tried PG so can't compare but no complaints from us. Our preferred table isn't near the entrance on QE and QV and so as I walk though the restaurant, I always  and smile and say Good Evening or hello to all the tables we pass. If they answer, fine, if they don't initially, they usually do by the end of the holiday.  🙂

We met a Maître'd on one cruise who didn't float our boat but apart from that, no problem and none in the smells department either, apart from when some unkind table is having a fragrant  meal cooked tableside and we're not! 

• Like 1

We've  always had good company in QG, the only negative thing I can say about QG conviviality which is about the system not the people we've met , is drinks in your cabin encourages pre dinner sundowners on your balcony, not up in lounge or on deck with others. Once you've made friends can have a  in suite pre dinner get together,  but by then are getting ready to disembark

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Oh dear.... I never, ever ment that there was any kind of bad smell in ANY of the Cunard dining rooms...

I was trying (apparently, unsuccessfully) to try to convey some sort of atmosphere that is hard to put into words. I failed miserably. All apologies.

Trying to convey what we thought of what "stuffiness" is, obviously impossible to convey, unless you were there. 

As in most cases, it's the luck of the draw as to whom you're seated next to or near, that can make a wonderful impression or perhaps less so.

• Like 3

Anyway, we shall be looking forward to our next cruise which isn't until April 2022 in PG coming back from S.A..

I just hope the world is more normal by then and we are all having well deserved vacations. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Windsurfboy said:

You're the second person in this post to say that PG is more convivial than QG.

Can you elaborate

IMHO and in my experience, the senior staff in PG create a more relaxed and convivial atmosphere than the senior staff in QG.  And there are fewer food products being flambeed in PG!  The passengers in PG have been more open to cross-table chats, just more friendly and relaxed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Oh dear.... I never, ever ment that there was any kind of bad smell in ANY of the Cunard dining rooms...

I was trying (apparently, unsuccessfully) to try to convey some sort of atmosphere that is hard to put into words. I failed miserably. All apologies.

Trying to convey what we thought of what "stuffiness" is, obviously impossible to convey, unless you were there. 

Well said QG is Stuffy and together with the 50 ‘s stuck in the mud menus makes for a less than relaxed  atmosphere.👎

My experience in the Grills on the QM2 is not as extensive as many others: three crossings in PG and two in QG. (Both times in QG were an upgrade from PG – lucky us!)

I didn’t find it at all stuffy in Queens.  The most laughter we have ever experienced in the dining room of any ship in any “class” was our first time in QG. We had a table for seven and, unusual for the Grills, we all arrived at close to the same time for almost every meal. The only meal which did not have a full complement was lunch when we had six.

The only disadvantage to QG was the occasional delay in getting our main course if it was a flambé.  As one of our servers said: there are more flambéed items ordered in QG than in PG yet they have approximately the same number of trolleys available.

We have booked in PG for a QE Alaska cruise for June of 2022. For a moment I considered splurging on QG, but the minimum staterooms were about (Canadian) $2000 pp more than PG for the 10-day cruise so I hesitated. Those QG staterooms were soon sold out and I wasn’t tempted to pay considerably more for a so-called penthouse. So we are very happy to be in PG.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Well said QG is Stuffy and together with the 50 ‘s stuck in the mud menus makes for a less than relaxed  atmosphere.👎

Sorry, I must disagree. With 18 voyages in QG and I have yet to find my fellow diners stuffy. I have made long term friends from some of them. I suspect you get out of the experience what you are willing to put into it.  As for the menus they are pretty standard Cunard menus, and the ability to order off menu can open a world of options for the diner. 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, Mudhen said:

I'll try for some examples...

People who obviously hear you when you say "Good Evening" and don't respond (not deaf, btw)

One upsmanship...(is that a word?!)...."oh we've been there before...it was awful..." " this is cruise 475 for us..."  "what wine are you drinking? oh, we've had that one, it isn't very good..."

I find those people exist in Britannia too. It’s not just in the Grills. There’s also not that many of them and I find they stick out In a comedic way. Last Jan on QV there was a lady who always entertained and claimed to know all the crew etc. She went on and on about it every dining time. Very Hyacinth. But she provided entertainment for everyone else betting on how many names she would drop before main meals etc. Actually a very nice person all in all and  in reality many who do talk about the number of cruises/voyages are worth tapping for information, especially if not a seasoned cruiser. I take the showmanship with a grain of salt and have fun with it. If someone says a place was awful, I try to understand why that is so. And if they’re ever just snooty about it (only encountered that behaviour in Britannia) you can always have fun one upping them for laughs or just say ‘oh yes Hyacinth, you’re absolutely right’ while deliberately shaking your cup and saucer, while spilling your tea. Of course, requesting a table move the night after will probably be needed after that display 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

...or just say ‘oh yes Hyacinth, you’re absolutely right’ while deliberately shaking your cup and saucer, while spilling your tea. Of course, requesting a table move the night after will probably be needed after that display 😊

As just one more example of my culturally deprived education, I had to look up the reference for "Hyacinth." It is amazing the number of things I don't know.

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

As just one more example of my culturally deprived education, I had to look up the reference for "Hyacinth." It is amazing the number of things I don't know.

The reference of course was to Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet, by the lady herself) from the Brit Comedy Keeping Up Appearances which many  US PBS stations continue to show with reckless abandon, I suspect because the cost of running them is minimal. The QE2 actually played a role in one episode.

6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

The reference of course was to Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet, by the lady herself) from the Brit Comedy Keeping Up Appearances which many  US PBS stations continue to show with reckless abandon, I suspect because the cost of running them is minimal. The QE2 actually played a role in one episode.

I think that reference is easier being Brit or Australian. And my ritual before a Cunard voyage is to watch the QE2 episode of Keeping Up Appearances. 

As I pack the last things into my matching executive luggage with the leather embellishments, the episode always helps remind me to ask the post office to have all my mail redirected to the ship 😎

In seriousness, I am grateful to those with extensive cruising backgrounds on board as I’ve learnt so much that has helped me when in ports and to know the ins and outs on the ship itself. I do find QG passengers well educated and well travelled and the focus of dinner discussion more focused on those topics rather than on ‘how much did you pay for your room?’ and grumbling about everything under the sun, which seems to be the domain of old British male passengers in Britannia. I do feel sorry for their wives! 

• Like 2