Black Sea Cruising

Supershot

Azamara & Oceania seem to be the only lines going there, & both are expensive. Azamara have a comprehensive one that covers east & west. It's in & out of Athens & starts July 20th 2021. Don't think they're showing 2022 yet.

I wondered how difficult getting visas for Russia & Turkey is going to be. 

I've been looking at Azamara's itineraries. I like that one, but the timing unfortunately doesn't work for me as I have a standing work engagement in early August.

The Turkey visa is not an issue, as your cruise doesn't start or end there. When you are just on a cruise "in transit" you do not need to obtain a visa for Turkish ports. Even if you overnight. 

https://www.visasturkey.com/evisa-for-turkey-on-a-cruise/#:~:text=Tourists who arrive in Turkey,3 days (72 hours).&text=Nationals of more than 100,the UK and the US.

Even if you plan to spend time in Turkey before or after, the visas are easily obtained; everything is done electronically. (Info is at the link above.)

The last time I checked on Russia for Black Sea itineraries (admittedly a couple of years ago), it was the same as for the Baltics -- i.e., you don't need to obtain an individual visa IF you take one of the ship tours; however, you cannot wander off on your own. I know that for St. Petersburg there are several well-known companies that will also arrange to cover you under their visa if you book a private tour with them (despite the cruise lines doing their best to discourage it).  But I don't know if this practice is as common for the Black Sea Russian ports.

Given the COVID situation, though, if you're planning on a 2021 cruise, you may not have a choice to take any excursion other than what is offered by the cruise lines.  That was the case for the limited European sailings in the 2020 season.

When we cruised in the Black Sea (3 times) we visited ports such as Yalta, Odessa and Istanbul.  Our favorite port (and one of our favorite places to visit) was Istanbul.  Odessa has also become a pretty decent port (we first visited shortly after the end of the USSR).  But these days politics have really encroached on potential Black Sea itineraries.  While DW and I still consider Turkey a terrific place to visit, the politics of Turkey now create some major problems.   Ukraine also has its issues but that country still welcomes most visitors.  The one port we never wish to see again is Constanta which would rank as one of the worst ports we have ever visited (and we have been to over 150 ports around the world).  If we were ever on a ship that took us back to Constanta it would take some major prodding to get us off the ship.  

Hank

My sole Black Sea experience was during my 2008 Grand World Cruise on the Amsterdam.  Istanbul was a delight and where HAL had a party for the full world cruisers that was like none I have ever experienced!  Sochi, Sevastopol, and, I think, Yalta were the ports.  Sochi was the highlight.  When we arrived, the site had just been announced as the place for the next Olympic Winter Games.  We visited the area where the games were to be held.  What had to be done by Russia to prepare that area for the games was a massive undertaking by them.  A sole two lane road led to that area from Sochi.  A scenic area and the Russian citizens with whom I encountered were friendly and our guide's English was very good.

Sailing on the Black Sea was no different from sailing on any other of Earth's seas.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The one port we never wish to see again is Constanta which would rank as one of the worst ports we have ever visited (and we have been to over 150 ports around the world).  If we were ever on a ship that took us back to Constanta it would take some major prodding to get us off the ship.  

Constanta itself isn't world-changing but I found it far from the worst place I've visited. It's a good jumping off spot to visit Istria and has an excellent archaeological museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histria_(ancient_city)

The yacht marina is also a nice place to walk and maybe eat lunch or have a beer on a sunny day.

6 hours ago, Supershot said:

Azamara & Oceania seem to be the only lines going there, & both are expensive. Azamara have a comprehensive one that covers east & west.

The Black Sea is one place I’ve never cruised but if it comes down to a choice between those 2 lines, I whole heartedly recommend Azamara. Been in both and A is the better line. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41

2 hours ago, Kylie said:

Viking also does this itinerary.

I'd love to consider Viking, but I just tried to look on their website and couldn't find any Black Sea itineraries. Using "Black Sea" in the search didn't seem to help. Do you happen to know what the itinerary or itineraries are called?

Edited to add:  Your avatar is adorable.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 hours ago, Kylie said:

Viking also does this itinerary.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/ukraine/index.html

Just booked this itinerary on a flash sale that ends today:  

https://www.viking.com/promotions/us/river/FLSH/20201211/kiev-black-sea-bucharest.html?contid=30002957178_1027004546&utm_id=email_vrc.53848402&cid=EML|RSP|999|vrc.53848402&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email#

Edited by Kylie
add more information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

Ahh -- I was only thinking ocean cruises. Thanks, hadn't thought of a river cruise. *facepalm*

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ahh -- I was only thinking ocean cruises. Thanks, hadn't thought of a river cruise. *facepalm*

Although on researching the river cruises, they only do a small portion of the Black Sea. I'm actually looking for a cruise that will also include Bulgaria, northern Turkey, Russia, Georgia, etc.

• Like 1

We sailed the Black Sea a few years ago, started in Athens & ended in Istanbul - a great cruise, and DIY cheap & easy in the ports.

A couple of Greek ports, then

Canakkale, on the Dardanelle Strait (Turkey). Ferry & taxi to Anzac Bay & other WW1 sights on the Gallipoli peninsula (to Troy is an alternative).

Daytime sail up the Bosphorus & into the Black Sea.

Nessebar (Bulgaria). Small and quaint historic town on a little peninsula.

Odessa (Ukraine). Wonderful panorama from the Potemkin Steps,  boulevard and Tioschin Bridge (aka Mother-in-Law bridge). We also took a private guided tour in the maze of tunnels under the city - originally cut to provide building blocks, used by partizans during WW2. 

Highlight was Sevastopol (Ukraine at that time). Wonderful waterfront, & Crimean War diorama. From there we also took a side-trip to Balaclava (Cold War submarine tunnels) via the Sapun Heights & the Light Brigade's "Valley of Death"

Yalta (was Ukraine) A quiet but pleasant little port, and a short & attractive coastal drive for a tour of the Livadia Palace - venue for the Yalta Conference, where in Feb 1945 Joe Stalin, Churchill & Roosevelt re-drew the map of Europe.

Istanbul A favourite city of mine, been there a few times on cruises & city breaks. never tire of the place. Blue Mosque, Roman hippodrome & Cisterna (remember that in James Bond "From Russia With Love"?), Hagia Sofia (various spellings) (was open to the public at the time, I think its now a mosque) & other sights of Sultanahmet, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, the restaurants under the Galata Bridge, the waterfront of Eminonu with cheap & frequent ferries up the Golden Horn, to Buyukada in the Sea of Marmara, across to the Asian Side, and up the Bosphorus.

Bear in mind our cruise was a few years back & things have changed.

After the Ukraine / Russia grief in the Crimea we though we thought that such a cruise would no longer be possible. Politics in the area are still problematic, but glad to see that the Black Sea is back on the cruising agenda. But the Crimea is the highlight, a Black Sea cruise would be so much less appealing without it.

All JMHO as always.  

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Although on researching the river cruises, they only do a small portion of the Black Sea. I'm actually looking for a cruise that will also include Bulgaria, northern Turkey, Russia, Georgia, etc.

True - not that itinerary.  

On 12/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, Cruzaholic41 said:

The Black Sea is one place I’ve never cruised but if it comes down to a choice between those 2 lines, I whole heartedly recommend Azamara. Been in both and A is the better line. 

Looks like NCL is doing this cruise the next few years too if you are interested in that cruise line - not as upscale as the ones you mentioned though.  

19 hours ago, John Bull said:

We sailed the Black Sea a few years ago, started in Athens & ended in Istanbul - a great cruise, and DIY cheap & easy in the ports.

A couple of Greek ports, then

Canakkale, on the Dardanelle Strait (Turkey). Ferry & taxi to Anzac Bay & other WW1 sights on the Gallipoli peninsula (to Troy is an alternative).

Daytime sail up the Bosphorus & into the Black Sea.

Nessebar (Bulgaria). Small and quaint historic town on a little peninsula.

Odessa (Ukraine). Wonderful panorama from the Potemkin Steps,  boulevard and Tioschin Bridge (aka Mother-in-Law bridge). We also took a private guided tour in the maze of tunnels under the city - originally cut to provide building blocks, used by partizans during WW2. 

Highlight was Sevastopol (Ukraine at that time). Wonderful waterfront, & Crimean War diorama. From there we also took a side-trip to Balaclava (Cold War submarine tunnels) via the Sapun Heights & the Light Brigade's "Valley of Death"

Yalta (was Ukraine) A quiet but pleasant little port, and a short & attractive coastal drive for a tour of the Livadia Palace - venue for the Yalta Conference, where in Feb 1945 Joe Stalin, Churchill & Roosevelt re-drew the map of Europe.

Istanbul A favourite city of mine, been there a few times on cruises & city breaks. never tire of the place. Blue Mosque, Roman hippodrome & Cisterna (remember that in James Bond "From Russia With Love"?), Hagia Sofia (various spellings) (was open to the public at the time, I think its now a mosque) & other sights of Sultanahmet, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, the restaurants under the Galata Bridge, the waterfront of Eminonu with cheap & frequent ferries up the Golden Horn, to Buyukada in the Sea of Marmara, across to the Asian Side, and up the Bosphorus.

Bear in mind our cruise was a few years back & things have changed.

After the Ukraine / Russia grief in the Crimea we though we thought that such a cruise would no longer be possible. Politics in the area are still problematic, but glad to see that the Black Sea is back on the cruising agenda. But the Crimea is the highlight, a Black Sea cruise would be so much less appealing without it.

All JMHO as always.  

JB, 

This brings back memories of a similar route about 10 years ago, but also including Sochi.  It does have the hallmarks of the now-defunct Voyages of Discovery - was that the line?

It was our first visit to Istanbul, and covered many of the sights you listed, except the Topkapi Palace.  The reason being that, on the day we were there, the Government had closed the Palace to tourists in order to make a promotional film to attract more tourists!  Pure irony! 

However, we did get to see the Palace on a subsequent visit.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, Sekhmet said:

JB, 

This brings back memories of a similar route about 10 years ago, but also including Sochi.  It does have the hallmarks of the now-defunct Voyages of Discovery - was that the line?

Yep, you guessed it. :classic_smile:

Well, sort of.

We booked Discovery with Voyages of Discovery (had sailed her 3 times previously), but by the time this cruise came round she'd been sold to C&M.

Nothing wrong with C&M or the new crew, but the "extra mile" of  shoreside entertainers, "proper" port talks, local dishes, cabin TVs showing port-appropriate films, deck barbies,  etc etc wasn't there. 

Nor was there the same rapport with the new crew. You may recall that all the hotel-side crew had been from one village in the Philippines - and they were brilliant. The C&M crew were perfectly "OK", but lacked that certain special something.

We recognised one of the deck crew - C&M had offered him and a few others good money to stay on in order to provide a bit of continuity. He didn't like the switch either.

But I won't knock the cruise - those aboard who'd never previously sailed Discovery wouldn't have missed what they'd never experienced. Very satisfactory cruise, exceptional itinerary :classic_smile:

Both lines are now defunct, plus a couple of others that we've sailed.

But please keep that to yourself - I don't want a reputation as the Jonah of the cruising world :classic_ohmy::classic_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

We recently booked Azamara Journey, 12 Day Black Sea cruise from Athens 05JUN22.

This will be our first foray into the Black Sea and I am loving you all's conversations! Please keep it up! I have a ton of questions and don't know where to start asking! 

BlackSea.JPG

45 minutes ago, bobbyd6363 said:

We recently booked Azamara Journey, 12 Day Black Sea cruise from Athens 05JUN22.

This will be our first foray into the Black Sea and I am loving you all's conversations! Please keep it up! I have a ton of questions and don't know where to start asking! 

BlackSea.JPG

I would love to book the itinerary that Azamara offers in June 2021, as it doesn't seem to be offered again either in 2021 or 2022. Instead of 14 days, they seem to be moving to shorter cruises. And the 2022 itineraries do not include the eastern half of the Black Sea.

Here's a snapshot of the 2021 itinerary I like, for comparison:

image.thumb.png.56abae1157b744a4dec566c3e1fbaecc.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would love to book the itinerary that Azamara offers in June 2021, as it doesn't seem to be offered again either in 2021 or 2022. Instead of 14 days, they seem to be moving to shorter cruises. And the 2022 itineraries do not include the eastern half of the Black Sea.

That is a very comprehensive Black Sea cruise!  

We have been to Ephesus and Athens a couple times and will probably look for something else to do.  However, the rest of the ports are new to us. I have read some so-so things about Constanta. I am still researching everything so maybe I will get more positive about that port 🙂

Edited by bobbyd6363

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

image.thumb.png.56abae1157b744a4dec566c3e1fbaecc.png

I am booked on the 2021 cruise although I doubt if it will go or that I will be willing to do it under the probable limitations for cruising at that time.  I agree with you about the 2022 cruise.  It sounds like a lousy cruise and I will not take it.  I am not going to waste my money on lousy cruises just to get on a boat.  After all, I can fly to NYC and cruise on the Staten Island ferry as much as I want for free  and also see my kids and grandkids at the same time -- LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

28 minutes ago, bobbyd6363 said:

That is a very comprehensive Black Sea cruise!  

We have been to Ephesus and Athens a couple times and will probably look for something else to do.  However, the rest of the ports are new to us. I have read some so-so things about Constanta. I am still researching everything so maybe I will get more positive about that port 🙂

For Ephesus, if you haven't visited the sites of Priene, Miletus and Didyma, I highly recommend these as an option. Reasonable distance from the port; you need a bit over a long half-day to see all three (although I could take a full day as I love ancient sites). They are usually offered together by private tour operators and (rarely) by ship tours. 

Aphrodisias is another nice site to visit but a much longer drive. And still further (my favorite, which I hope to get back to again) is the site of Hierapolis/Pamukkale.

Lots of great choices if one wants to branch out from Ephesus...

I've also done many things in and around the Athens area if you are looking for ideas: Corinth, the Peloponnese, Elefsina (ancient site where the Eleusinian mysteries took place), etc.

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I am booked on the 2021 cruise although I doubt if it will go or that I will be willing to do it under the probable limitations for cruising at that time.  

DON

What do you hear from Azamara about their possible start-up?  How long are you going to hang on to your booking?  I'm just curious as the cost cost right now is pretty low and I believe that if I book now the cancellation policy is fairly generous...