If Cunard offered you a shakedown cruise would you go?

Lanky Lad

As it is going to well over a year since the last Cunard cruise, I was wondering if they shout start off with some shakedown cruises rather than just jump back into "normal" service. 

Do you think this would be a good idea and would you offer to be on a shakedown cruise?  I know I would.

26 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

As it is going to well over a year since the last Cunard cruise, I was wondering if they shout start off with some shakedown cruises rather than just jump back into "normal" service. 

Do you think this would be a good idea and would you offer to be on a shakedown cruise?  I know I would.

If the itinerary were attractive, why not.  Every first cruise of a new ship is a “shakedown” - some problems sure to come  up - but also the likelihood of a “can do” attitude — which I would see as an adequate trade-off.

A few years ago I booked an MSC trans-Atlantic from Italy to New York - I believe on Poesia - as a way home from travel in Italy. It was to have been their first real itinerary.  Unfortunately final construction delays resulted in that first itinerary being altered to a sailing from Hamburg (I recall).  Not wanting to have to get all the way up there, and thinking about the first (November) days being in the North Sea and Channel rather than the Mediterranean, I cancelled and re-booked on HAL sailing from Rome.

That was my closest to a “shakedown” cruise. But, for the right itinerary, why not?

Edited by navybankerteacher

I would go if the covid restrictions were over.   But one has to book with the anticipation that the first sailing to return to service will encounter a lot of problems.   Who knows how many crew members familiar with the ship will return.    The sailing out of Hamburg following the  "Remastering" refit was a shakedown run.  I didn't have bathroom towels until after dinner - in PG.  Even the waiters who had been on board pre-refit had to learn the new dining room configurations. 

13 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

We'd be very happy to be guinea pigs on a short shakedown..

I suspect Cunard are hoping that by the time they start again the restrictions will have been lived due to vaccination.  It makes sense not to go to a lot of expense putting in extra measures which might be unnecessary shortly after.

20 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Heard the QV sailing 17 May 2021