Saga cruise pricing trends?

comcox

I've not sailed with Saga before I wonder how their pricing tends to go over time.  Some cruise lines start high and then decrease over time; others make their best offers up front and then prices increase as the ship fills.  With the new all-balcony ships, 2022 prices are quite high for solos--over £350 per day on a cruise I'm looking at.  I did do a Channel Islands tour with Saga a few years ago and loved it so I would like to try their cruise experience IF I can afford it.

You need to remember that if the price goes down after you have booked, you are refunded the difference. So, really there is no downside to booking early. By waiting, you may pay more, but you certainly won't pay less.

Usually the first people to book always get the best price with Saga.

They allocate a number (unspecified) of cabins with a 35% discount, as the cabins get sold the discounts reduces by 5% a time.

At the very end, they may sell the last few cabins on "run of ship" basis, meaning that you choose the grade for a reduced price,  but you will not know what cabin you will get.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever discovered that the people who booked last with Saga got a better price than those who booked first.

If you know you want a specific cruise with Saga, then the earlier you book, the better the price.

+++++++

Wowzz:  bear in mind that their price-promise is nowadays rarely a cash refund, it is an upgrade or other benefit.

11 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Wowzz:  bear in mind that their price-promise is nowadays rarely a cash refund, it is an upgrade or other benefit.

Thanks for that. We have booked two Saga cruises, both virtually at launch, and the prices have constantly increased from launch.

To the OP, given that you are a solo traveller, the number of solo cabins are limited, and I would be amazed if you found them dropping in price.  

Indeed, but unless you need a specific cabin or suite, I'm not sure if the advance payment is really necessary. Just booking a day after release will still give you the optimum fare.

Edited by wowzz

The £90 is fully  refundable if you choose not to go, and is taken off price of cruise, so it seems a good investment to ensure You get maximum discount.  I didn't know about it, for first cruise but from now on will do it. The difference between discounts is 5% steps. Which is a hell of a lot more than £90.

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The £90 is fully  refundable if you choose not to go, and is taken off price of cruise, so it seems a good investment to ensure You get maximum discount.  I didn't know about it, for first cruise but from now on will do it. The difference between discounts is 5% steps. Which is a hell of a lot more than £90.

Good point. Will definitely do it when the 2023 cruises come out. Nothing like thinking ahead!

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, but unless you need a specific cabin or suite, I'm not sure if the advance payment is really necessary. Just booking a day after release will still give you the optimum fare.

Not always, especially for the more popular cruises.

Rung Saga and paid up our £90 

By pre-booked I suppose I should have said pre-registered because the 2023 itineraries are not out yet 🙂

Sorry if I caused a misunderstanding.

The sooner you pre-register the sooner you get your phone call when they release the itineraries to those registered.

How long ahead can you pre-register,  not going with Saga in 2023 as we have substantial FCC with Cunard to use up and hope they repeat their Japan and Alaska cruise.  Also have decided variety is good. However will definitely go with Saga in 2024 , if our month on adventure in 22 is as good as I hope it will be.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

How long ahead can you pre-register,  not going with Saga in 2023 as we have substantial FCC with Cunard to use up and hope they repeat their Japan and Alaska cruise.  Also have decided variety is good. However will definitely go with Saga in 2024 , if our month on adventure in 22 is as good as I hope it will be.

I think you could probably register for 2030 if you wanted too 😂

I was told by a Saga rep that some people often register 2 or 3 years in advance 🙂

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

I was told by a Saga rep that some people often register 2 or 3 years in advance 🙂

Thanks. I guess that we will wait until just before the 2023 release date and register then. No point handing money over in the current environment until the last possible minute.

14 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Thank you, am I right to understand from your earlier post Saga contact people in the order of pre registration.  Do high teir Brittania club members jump the queue or is it simply time of pre registration 

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thank you, am I right to understand from your earlier post Saga contact people in the order of pre registration.  Do high teir Brittania club members jump the queue or is it simply time of pre registration 

They call you in order of registration.

It makes no difference whether you are Britannia club or first time with Saga - it is when you register that makes the difference.

This means that if a lot of people pre-register, want the same cruise as you, and take up their option to book, those who registered late find that the discounts have already been substantially reduced.

If you leave it until just before the release date, you may find your pre-registration does not get you any benefits.

If you pre-register as soon as possible, then you have a good chance of getting the cruise, cabin, and discount that you want.

If you change your mind at any time, the registration can be rolled over to another season or refunded (your choice) and if you book it counts as part of your deposit.

And yes, you can register several years in advance.

2 hours ago, nosapphire said:

They call you in order of registration.

It makes no difference whether you are Britannia club or first time with Saga - it is when you register that makes the difference.

This means that if a lot of people pre-register, want the same cruise as you, and take up their option to book, those who registered late find that the discounts have already been substantially reduced.

If you leave it until just before the release date, you may find your pre-registration does not get you any benefits.

If you pre-register as soon as possible, then you have a good chance of getting the cruise, cabin, and discount that you want.

If you change your mind at any time, the registration can be rolled over to another season or refunded (your choice) and if you book it counts as part of your deposit.

And yes, you can register several years in advance.

Thank you. Most useful.

Just noticed on Saga website that the cruise price promise wording has changed.

It now makes it clear that it is not a refund, but "we will pass on the value.. in the form of a higher grade cabin, or other added value benefit".

So no longer an actual cash refund - which I can well understand at the current time.

This does not change the fact that (as far as I can see) those who book early will still get the best price - so the price promise is usually immaterial anyway.

And, just for the record, for those who prefer their money back if the cruise is cancelled, Saga have so far been exemplary in the speed of refunds.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, nosapphire said:

Just noticed on Saga website that the cruise price promise wording has changed.

It now makes it clear that it is not a refund, but "we will pass on the value.. in the form of a higher grade cabin, or other added value benefit".

So no longer an actual cash refund - which I can well understand at the current time.

This does not change the fact that (as far as I can see) those who book early will still get the best price - so the price promise is usually immaterial anyway.

And, just for the record, for those who prefer their money back if the cruise is cancelled, Saga have so far been exemplary in the speed of refunds.

That's interesting,  like you say we will still book early as we can.

I wonder how thus will work if you don't want an upgrade.  I know it's unlikely that prices will drop. However  we book a midships suite, on a lower deck. Mid ship and low is most stable place in ship, and best place for my wife who gets sea sick. We would refuse a forward or aft or higher suite for those reasons. 5% of our cruise price would be a lot of money to spend on a all inclusive ship. Have to order some expensive wine

To the best of my knowledge - and I have done at least 10 cruises with Saga over the past 6 years or so - it never was a cash refund.  This is in line with most other cruise lines, I think.

My impression is that booking as early as possible does actually work for you with Saga;   rarely do they have special late offers.  We did once benefit when actually on a ship a special offer at a hugely reduced price came up if you booked and paid on board, and it worked at almost half price.  A chap I spoke to in the queue to see the onboard booking person had paid full price, months before, but was not able to get the reduction.  He did not mind; I would have been pretty cross.