Let's talk The Retreat :-)

Presto2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Retreat  , if you compare the cost to upgrading to a bigger cabin or a suite for a big balcony then doesn't look that expensive.  Presume it will be £50 per day if there are two of you.

But as it is at front of ship, hang on to your rubbish,  don't want your detritus  blowing overboard and contaminating  a passing Cunard ship. 

We like the cabin and balcony - just don't want to sit in the shade for 3 days. I am not good on sea days - get bored easily. Am best on the balcony enjoying the sunshine, glass of wine and a good murder mystery on the kindle !

• Like 1

We've never used the Retreat but our last cruise was on Ventura during the August school holidays and as you'd expect the pool areas were always busy. Some people enjoy the commotion, music etc. of the central pool areas and good luck to them but we prefer things to be a bit more relaxing hence our preference for the Terrace pool aft but even that seemed busy.

As a result we spent little time on the open decks and often "retreated" (pun fully intended) to our cabin. With that in mind, and as Ventura is our least favourite P&O ship, we've booked a suite for our next cruise on her to offset our dislikes and make our time away from the crowds more enjoyable (as well as attempting to reduce our chances of cabin fever).

It sounds like a great idea for your circumstances but obviously only you can decide whether the cost is worth it dependent on whether you can book individual days or have to book the whole cruise.

Finally this was the only worthwhile, and in particular recent, review I could find online:

Is The Retreat on P&O Cruises worth it? - Tin Box Traveller

Fingers crossed we're sailing with some kind of normality by then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Presto, a tip we were given when we were on Azura worked really well.

If you want a swim, try going up to the pool before breakfast. It was really peaceful, and usually only us in the pool. Although, the sun worshippers did appear to start reserving the sunbeds. Then retreat to your balcony and enjoy the solitude. Then around 5.00p.m. You can return to the sun decks and lo and  behold all the sun worshippers have left the sunbeds to get ready for early dinner. Worked for us!!

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

Presto, a tip we were given when we were on Azura worked really well.

If you want a swim, try going up to the pool before breakfast. It was really peaceful, and usually only us in the pool. Although, the sun worshippers did appear to start reserving the sunbeds. Then retreat to your balcony and enjoy the solitude. Then around 5.00p.m. You can return to the sun decks and lo and  behold all the sun worshippers have left the sunbeds to get ready for early dinner. Worked for us!!

Hi Kittyonions - this made hubby laugh. I am not a morning person, so if I ever went for a swim before breakfast he would begin to wonder if I was really his wife. 😉  Good tip re the end of the day though - on Oceana we found that on the sea days the decks started to clear about 3pm and it was easier to find a sunbed so seems like the other ships are similar. Have to say, I do like the sunshine but need a decent breeze too, away from the pool area and a good book to read ------ oh and a cocktail 😉 That's why we love an aft cabin - peace and quite and that wonderful wake to look out on.

Oh to dream ------ I do think we've taken it all for granted and now realise how lucky we were to be there and have those wonderful experiences ....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DamianG said:

we've booked a suite for our next cruise on her

Just a thought. For the price of a suite on a mass market line, you could probably have a good cabin, (admittedly not a suite) , on Saga, Viking, Azmara etc. 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a thought. For the price of a suite on a mass market line, you could probably have a good cabin, (admittedly not a suite) , on Saga, Viking, Azmara etc. 

I'm very open to trying other cruise lines but for the forseeable future our bookings include our son (aged 10) and every year I compare prices but cannot beat P&O. I appreciate that they are not top of the range but just over £5k for a suite for 3 of us for 15 nights in August seemed like a good deal to us. We've paid more than that for standard balcony cabins in the main school holiday season in the past.

One day Rodney, one day......🙂

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

I'm very open to trying other cruise lines but for the forseeable future our bookings include our son (aged 10) and every year I compare prices but cannot beat P&O. I appreciate that they are not top of the range but just over £5k for a suite for 3 of us for 15 nights in August seemed like a good deal to us. We've paid more than that for standard balcony cabins in the main school holiday season in the past.

That is a very good price indeed for a suite, especially in school holidays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

Taking your Son obviously rules out Saga and Azamara is not suitable for children, nothing for them apart from the small pool.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Taking your Son obviously rules out Saga and Azamara is not suitable for children, nothing for them apart from the small pool.

Our son doesn't use the kids facilities onboard anyway but we always tell him he can change his mind and give them a try anytime.

4 minutes ago, JB9302 said:

On Ventura June 2018 for 14 nights Canary Islands , school hols so we booked the retreat after the 1st day for the duration , used our OBC to pay for it and would use the facility again (when we get to cruise )

Hi, just wondering if there are enough sunbeds that have the sun - don't want to pay to avoid a shady balcony to sit in the shade and the wind (am guessing it is windy up there). What sort of perks did you get and did you find enough sunbeds even if you didn't get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed up there?

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DamianG said:

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That is a very good price indeed for a suite, especially in school holidays.

It is a very good price, if you use the retreat for peace and quiet, and as a suite passenger you'll be first on board so front of retreat queue,  buy a Commodore collection wine package and also use the alternative dining whenever you feel like treating yourselves,  you will get a luxury cruise for very good money, less than the "more luxurious" lines.  Don't  down rate P&O

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, Presto2 said:

Hi, just wondering if there are enough sunbeds that have the sun - don't want to pay to avoid a shady balcony to sit in the shade and the wind (am guessing it is windy up there). What sort of perks did you get and did you find enough sunbeds even if you didn't get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed up there?

Thanks 🙂

Yes plenty of beds were available mainly because there weren’t many people using the facility , there were 2 stewards there all the time who looked after you and your bags etc if you wanted to wander off .

Limited choice for lunch but that suited us as we eat light at that time of day but once chosen you could have it del anytime that suits.

Plenty of room under cover with comfortable seats/beds if it got cool/windy .

Tea , Coffee , iced water available all day .

Very quiet and relaxing 👍

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JB9302 said:

Yes plenty of beds were available mainly because there weren’t many people using the facility , there were 2 stewards there all the time who looked after you and your bags etc if you wanted to wander off .

Limited choice for lunch but that suited us as we eat light at that time of day but once chosen you could have it del anytime that suits.

Plenty of room under cover with comfortable seats/beds if it got cool/windy .

Tea , Coffee , iced water available all day .

Very quiet and relaxing 👍

Hi, just to ask what time of the year you have to sail? Can you go out of school holidays as I am guessing there is less need for it then. 🙂

On 1/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, Presto2 said:

Hi, just to ask what time of the year you have to sail? Can you go out of school holidays as I am guessing there is less need for it then. 🙂

Only school hols for us as wife works in school .

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, jamiebarnzy said:

Good afternoon, do you know if you can help yourself to Juices/coffees/tea's in the retreat on Ventura, get a massages and if you can order bar drinks from the stewards there in the same way you can on Britainer retreat. 

Have used it on the Azura, and is same. There was a massage table set up, so guess if you book you can ask for it in there is you've a pass for the area . They did prefer to pour your water for you, bring towels and blankets . They did take orders for bar drinks . 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Deck 18. Sorry, but 10 seconds on Google would have given you the answer.

Thanks for the answer but I feel well and truly told off there wowzz

And we're usually friends. 😞

Sometimes I like to ask questions on here to keep the boards going

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks for the answer but I feel well and truly told off there wowzz 😞

Sorry, came over more brusque than I meant. Just was saying that the information was available on line.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wowzz said:

Sorry, came over more brusque than I meant. Just was saying that the information was available on line.

Thought it wasn't like you - had already changed my original response - check above as mine came over sharp too😉