Caribbean Excursions

Oceangoer2

We're booked on Silhouette Nov. '21.....trying to book special dining and review excursions, but showing unavailable except for one tour in St Martin.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Very unusual to not be available.  Even though it's months away, the tours and dining have been available in the past a year in advance.  With cancellations of Edge and other ships, and the unknown re covid, I'm wondering how secure this cruise is to go and perhaps they don't want to undo more than they have to until they have a better commitment as to which ports will be open to cruise ships?

I have the same with all 3 of my cruises (Caribbean in November and December 2021, Europe in 2022). All were itineraries released in the last couple of months, so I'm thinking they've been more worried with the overall schedule than what to do during each cruise. I'm trying (semi-sucessfully) to be patient. 😉

It's unlikely that you can do any planning at this point for any cruise even if there are excursions listed.  No one knows the rules for entering these port cities, so no one can make a real plan.  In addition, many of the tour providers may have gone out of business during the pandemic.  If you choose to go on any of the early cruises after COVID, you need to be flexible and make last minute plans or just be prepared to spend most of your time on the ship.

• Like 2

At least one of the main excursion companies that the ships use is in receivership and looking for a buyer so that may have something to do with it. The smaller companies are probably out of business completely. In our city which is a Canadian cruise port they are sadly dropping like flies, as well as the relating shops on the harbourfront.  

• Thanks 1

I don't think the lack of shore excursion options at this time is any indication of the cruise not sailing.  I think it is more a reflection of the Covid situation.  The cruise line is more focused on all the cancellations and changed bookings than on arranging tours at the end of the year.  I also agree that it could be a case of uncertainty which tour operators will be available, and equally important, which can meet the Covid safety requirements the cruise line will have.  I expect that won't be more fleshed out until months from now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't think the lack of shore excursion options at this time is any indication of the cruise not sailing.  I think it is more a reflection of the Covid situation.  The cruise line is more focused on all the cancellations and changed bookings than on arranging tours at the end of the year.  I also agree that it could be a case of uncertainty which tour operators will be available, and equally important, which can meet the Covid safety requirements the cruise line will have.  I expect that won't be more fleshed out until months from now.

Agree.  First you need an agreement that the ports will accept COVID positive passengers.  Difficult as most ports have VERY few beds.  Almost no ICU beds.  Then you need tour operators to organize and offer tours that limit contact with locals.

Until fall or later this will be difficult.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree.  First you need an agreement that the ports will accept COVID positive passengers.  Difficult as most ports have VERY few beds.  Almost no ICU beds.  Then you need tour operators to organize and offer tours that limit contact with locals.

Until fall or later this will be difficult.

"Until fall or later this will be difficult.".....my thoughts exactly and no excursions listed may only be one  hint.  If ports can't open, cruising as we know it won't happen. Just thinking ahead and may book a Nov. '22 cruise in case '21 is cancelled and they allow a L&S.  Being a Nov. cruise, it will be a close X decision. 

• Thanks 1