The Daily for Monday Jan 18, 2021

richwmn

Debbie, glad the damage was confined to that one area.

I guess we were lucky to make both The Falklands and Ushuaia both times we have gone around the Horn.   The last time in 2015, the daily program had a note that while people were justifiably proud of their Falklands t-shirts to please do not wear them while ashore in Ushuaia.

When we were in the terminal in Ushuaia, we found a flyer giving their side of the war.  It made for interesting reading.

Lenda

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

100_5141.thumb.JPG.eb548860ab6a5eabfd97bda16e67199b.JPG

This is the sign we saw on the dock area in Ushuaia in Mar 2016.  Note it says "illegal occupation."

That billboard was still there in 2018. And there were several similar signs on a building in The Falklands.

• Like 3

It was recently announced that all the land mines had been removed from the Falklands. I remember seeing a sign on a jeep warning of the danger of land mines when we were there 4 years ago. Great cruise, no missed ports and the Drake Passage was amazing.  No waves. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I was surprised when they let you book this because they wouldn't let me do that.  We had a b2b from the 11th to the 25th that was supposed to be round trip Boston.  Then, they changed it to round trip Montreal, so we wanted to drop the last week and replace it with the sailing starting September 4th from Boston.  Because of the CDC 7 day ruling, they wouldn't let us do that.  So, we cancelled and now we've booked Norway for 14 days in the same time period.

The 25th doesn’t show up at all, in fact I can’t find where the Zaandam will be after that until December (on the HAL site). Your cruise would be round trip Montreal.  Ours was round trip Boston.  I booked it December 8th.  I would love to sail with you but I really don’t think this cruise will happen. Bummer, but I really think I’ve found a great replacement. 

• Like 2

DH just reminded me that on the 2015 cruise, our captain was British.  In order for us to be able to dock in Ushuaia, we changed to a non British captain before we got to the Falklands.  Sometime after, we left Ushuaia, our British captain rejoined the ship.  This was a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles since the ship could not go through the Panama Canal.  Needless to say, this was not a HAL cruise.

Lenda

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

A year ago we were headed to Auckland and on to the Maasdam and we did get into Norfolk Island on that cruise. Captain PJ van Maurik must have learned from the previous cruise. The ship crew built a structure to go between the tender deck and the Norfolk Island ferry boats. At the island tall strong Aussie guys hauled us up onto the pier.

We were glad to see Captain PJ in charge as he got us into Ushuaia on the Veendam 10 years ago after trying for several hours. He doesn't give up easily.

That morning of Norfolk Island day  when Captain PJ announced that "you go ashore at your own risk", we decided it was safer to stay on board Maasdam. Our planned HAL excursion was refunded.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tbay said:

It was recently announced that all the land mines had been removed from the Falklands. I remember seeing a sign on a jeep warning of the danger of land mines when we were there 4 years ago. Great cruise, no missed ports and the Drake Passage was amazing.  No waves. 

Hello & Welcome!

• Like 2