The Daily for Monday Jan 18, 2021

richwmn

Rich: Thanks for the fleet report. I like both meal suggestions.  Have also liked White Russians I once tried on a Veendam Alaskan cruise in 2002.  Thanks to all posters. Have a good MLK day, though Dr. King was born January 15, 1929

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon all,

Cool damp and misty in Ireland this morning.

We had a chicken dish with Dijon mustard on Saturday night and it was lovely.  It was a Rick Stein recipe that was on TV, but it was for rabbit.  We have lots of rabbits in our garden, but neither DW nor myself could bring ourselves to trap and prepare one of our nibbling friends, so we substituted chicken!

I enjoy watching NFL "American" Football 😁, but it takes so, so, so looooooong!   I record the games and watch them during the week, with the Fast Forward button in regular use.  So I have to ignore some of the postings here as I still have one of the wild card games to watch before I even start watching this weekends games!

Stay safe everyone!

Hockey is a much faster game and more exciting!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Celebrating MLK should be everyday.  And Elementary School Teachers, I taught K and 1 for almost 29 years.  Happy I retired before covid hit, I don't think I could teach remote.  We have a Thesaurus that we use occasionally.  I totally agree with the quote.  Will pass on the meal, having take out from our favorite Mexican place tonight.

Prayers for our care list.  Hedge of protection for our nation tomorrow.  🥤to toast our Celebration list.

Please stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Pumpkin Spice White Russian:

Ingredients
For the rim
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3 tbsp. crushed graham crackers

For the drink
2 oz. vodka
1 oz. Kahlua
1 1/2 oz. pumpkin spice creamer
Cinnamon stick, for garnish

Directions

Make the rim: On a shallow plate, combine pumpkin pie spice and crushed graham crackers. Dip the edge of each glass in water, then into the mixture, coating the edge of each glass.
Make the drink: Pour vodka and Kahlua into glasses filled with ice. Top with creamer. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.00.35 AM.png

I will take mine without pumkin spice.

• Like 2

good morning all, always great to celebrate MLK. elementary school teachers an if I look amongst my numerous bookshelves I bet I could find a thesaurus somewhere.  Been real busy trying to complete my puzzle that is driving me crazy, no defined colors and just a real royal PITA.  my sister sent me a video I thought I would share (if my dh can load it) and hope it will give you all a laugh. enjoy and stay safe everyone until we can all meet on a cruise someday.  Linda.         

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Love the collection of days, meals and drinks. @VMax1700 I had to look up Rick Stein’s rabbit stew because my husband loves rabbit. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rabbit_stew_with_dijon_05371
In fact, we have one in the freezer right now that he bought at our local meat shop. It’s a family run business that has been here for years. They have the regular meat counter but also have unusual and hard to find items in freezers like alligator, duck, rabbit, etc. I’ll have to show him that recipe. But for tonight I had inspiration to make a spinach quiche to serve with a ham steak I have in the fridge. 

@Overhead Fred I can tell you love flowers and I love all the pictures you post. 

I really don’t think that our September cruise will happen so I’m calling my PCC about a holiday cruise that I have my eye on. We shall see 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Big day here.   I am having the house resided.  I am thankful for all those home renovation shows that point out that when doing renovations on an older home, there is often damage that needs to be repaired.   I knew there was a problem around the bedroom window and had several people out to look at it and determine the problem so it could be fixed.  None could find a problem and just said to keep the gutters cleaned out.  I do have them cleaned on a regular basis.  But, look what we uncovered when we took the siding off.  No, I wasn't imagining anything.

I hope I'm not starting something new!

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

May it go as smoothly as possible, Debbie. Glad you found that mess!

• Like 7

Good morning all and a thank you to Rich for his devotion to keeping this thread active.  A good collection of days, I heard that today was Blue Monday - I will be looking this up.  The menu is a good one for adding to my list as tonight it’s leftover meat pie.  We never had a Thesaurus but I do see our Webster's dictionary still taking up room on a shelf in the basement - it's almost an antique!   Every time I watch the news and see that something else has happened in Indonesia I can't help but wonder and worry about the wonderful crew we have met.  I wish them and all those on Roy's list my very best.  The picture I am posting is a gift from our neighbours, it has taken a while to grow and bloom, but boy has it been worth the wait.

A3063537-2A02-4701-AE0F-E4CBA5C7B092.jpeg

• Like 23

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily!

MLK Day is to be celebrated! Elementary school teachers rock! (My Mom was one for 39 years).

Cold here today. It was icy this AM with accidents reported.

Pumpkin spice white Russian sounds tasty.

Prayers to those on the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, Be Well, Wear you Mask.

martin-luther-king-jr2.jpg

• Like 19

Good morning, all! A worthy collection of days today. (Worthy, deserving, admirable, justified?)  I certainly agree with the quote. Interesting that both meal suggestions are pork chops, as that’s what I got out of the ‘ice cave’ yesterday to thaw for tonight. A few days ago shepherds pie was suggested, but I accidentally made blueberry pie instead. DH was very brave about it, and we polished off the last of it for breakfast today.

The sky is clear and the sun is shining! At last! The polar vortex is likely on its way, but at least we have sunshine and can enjoy the mountain view.

Happy Monday, and I raise my coffee cup to our blue hulled beauties, and the Amsterdam at sea in the South Atlantic a year ago,today!

85DBB7F2-116E-4E7B-B1E9-6D34FDBF19F5.jpeg

• Like 19

42 minutes ago, gigianne said:

Good morning all and a thank you to Rich for his devotion to keeping this thread active.  A good collection of days, I heard that today was Blue Monday - I will be looking this up.  The menu is a good one for adding to my list as tonight it’s leftover meat pie.  We never had a Thesaurus but I do see our Webster's dictionary still taking up room on a shelf in the basement - it's almost an antique!   Every time I watch the news and see that something else has happened in Indonesia I can't help but wonder and worry about the wonderful crew we have met.  I wish them and all those on Roy's list my very best.  The picture I am posting is a gift from our neighbours, it has taken a while to grow and bloom, but boy has it been worth the wait.

A3063537-2A02-4701-AE0F-E4CBA5C7B092.jpeg

Gorgeous ❤️ 

• Like 6

Good morning all and Happy Martin Luther King Day.

We had heavy fog this morning, but that has lifted and no rain in the forecast for another 3 days -- yay!   (fingers crossed).

I had a thesaurus for years, it must have finally fallen apart.  I still do have a raggedy dictionary, although with the internet it isn't needed now.

DH would love the onions and Dijon pork chops, me not so much -- but pork chops do sound good.

Lots of elementary school teachers in the family -- 3 retired and 1 still working in Portland, OR.

Like Jacqui, I've enjoyed a glass or two of the Ruffino on a HAL ship. 🙂  

@dfishDebbie OMG you've had quite a start to 2021.  

@zigdilcruthat video had me laughing out loud!  So glad I've finished my coffee this morning or it would be all over the computer screen. 😂

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Saturday, started the big week here.  The Tyson Wells Sell-a-Rama and the big tent (aka the Sports, Vacation and RV Show) opened.  Wednesday, the rock and gem show, the Pow Wow,  that started all the January madness opens for five days.  For these two weeks or so, this town of about 3,000 plus the winter snowbirds swells to 100,000 + each year.  No, that last number is not a typo.  While the RV parks fill up, the majority of the visitors camp in the desert on BLM land.  There are four long-term visitor areas (LTVA) and  five free two week areas.

This year, there are still quite a lot of people in town, and most of the vendors seem to have returned, this is still not as big a crowd as in normal years.  Even the big tent is smaller with fewer vendors set-up outside the tent.

Some 30+ years ago I went with my parents in their RV. We stayed somewhere in nowhere on the BLM lands. Mom kept telling me it was a huge Pow-wow and insisting I go with them. (I was a regular attender at real pow-wows, and had taken her with me several times. She really enjoyed Grand Entry....) I was skeptical (as i had never heard anything about this one), and we had a good laugh when we arrived and got our tickets. We stayed maybe 3 nights- and I remember thinking it was "senior citizens on Spring Break" when we drove into town to dump our tank. There were numerous seniors sitting on folding chairs, in the backs of pick up trucks, with drinks in hand while the trucks slowly cruised along through the one stop light in town. I think it took an hour to go a mile. Fun memories.

@dfish Yikes on the damage. 

@kazu @ger_77 DH has firmly accepted cardboardeux, with the proof that we are checking all new refrigerator candidates to be sure a gallon of milk AND a box of cardboardeux properly fit. 🤨

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Good morning, all, not so Blue Monday, after all!  Maybe that's just in Canada...  The Ruffino pinot grigio would be fine for me,  but I don't like even numbers, so I would steer away from the 2018.  

We are due for some cold later this week - actually, it has been very mild here, my bulbs are popping up, and the winter pansies have never stopped blooming, so I hope they can all hunker down for the big freeze.  I know we have to get through February before I can even start to expect Spring.

Our (paperback) thesaurus is in shreds, we have to replace it every few years, as we do the cryptic crosswords in our newspapers, and some books.  The three of us work on them pretty well all day.  It has kept us from going crazy this last year.   Also sudokus and jigsaws...  

Borrowed from another thread...image.thumb.png.94398ad08329e5b8fa426ce022858db1.png.6eb3fc476fcf22bdeacb3ec296a72608.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

The journey continues:

January 18, 2013

The Beagle Channel, Chile

We awoke to a cloudy day as we slipped through the water fo the Beagle annel. This day held the promise of being one of the highlights of the trip, as we would sail through Glacier Alley in the morning and then dock in Ushuaia at noon. Our CC Roll Call had arranged a shorex to the National Park through a private vendor, and I had additional plans to try shop for local yarn with a member of our roll call and to replace a lost USB card reader.

The Beagle Channel is one of many passages that meander through the islands in this region and it ranks with the classical routes for cruising. Its name comes from the vessel that a young Charles Darwin sailed on during his early explorations of the area.

DSC_0773.thumb.JPG.455bc1fb024050f7d853ba9242d08fbb.JPGDSC_0774.thumb.JPG.8c3ad493f7c51f4d323408405d7101e4.JPGDSC_0776.thumb.JPG.6206d8deb956c52de7544fadfa5f620d.JPGDSC_0800.thumb.JPG.2378ec7e81ff8d9f9237b496617bf9b2.JPG

Around 10:00 we approached the stretch known as Glacier Alley as it is lined on both sides with glaciers hanging onto the mountain tops. Many of the glaciers are named for European countries, and each is remarkable different, providing a smorgasbord of glacier viewing.

DSC_0775.thumb.JPG.c65899de4016df9a41d12cbbd2eff895.JPGDSC_0791.thumb.JPG.4e3b42c70fa519701244609385325984.JPGDSC_0783.thumb.JPG.0b4cec4e2d71154542981b6d52685205.JPGDSC_0806.thumb.JPG.e3320bdd0d8e80012bfa4e17e88cb2de.JPGDSC_0788.thumb.JPG.2bd3f143743c15e9c7d3aabb60354fde.JPG

The route after the glaciers was just as scenic in its own way. As we continued to Ushuaia the low clouds lifted and we had sun and billowy, puffy clouds. DSC_0862.thumb.JPG.129df886c9486c963012451844656da2.JPGDSC_0864.thumb.JPG.b48b038008eb3ee1fc5b072ed3bc9de9.JPGDSC_0868.thumb.JPG.643dde0bc148cdc92937a3a48cb64b08.JPG

BeagleChannelPano.thumb.jpg.3cd691d670c4d78287835d2aa237a561.jpg

And the wind came up.

We passed the dock at Ushuaia where we were scheduled to tie up. The space left for us was on the windward side of the dock, and per Captain, the winds were approaching the maximum allowed for Veendam’s size. So the decision was made for us to drop anchor and tender in. As the winds usually decrease as the day wears on, we would then move to our space at the dock when it was safe.

DSC_0871.thumb.JPG.d67a6d4a6cf8b779b0c26470fa2e183f.JPGDSC_0884.thumb.JPG.4231233a09d9fe673dfd856fefbb9677.JPGDSC_0907.thumb.JPG.d77afbd0147854424ff187986f2b5777.JPG

So we anchored and the crew began to prepare the tenders. And the winds continued to increase. Whitecaps increased on the water. I had been on Veendam’s skydeck above the Crow’s Nest, and a gust caught me and sent me sliding backwards on the wet deck. So it wasn’t a surprise when the next announcement was that we would be recovering the anchor and heading to Port Williams to check out of Chile, then commencing the crossing of Drake Passage early. This would give us essentially an extra day in Antarctica.

And so our Antarctic leg began.

DSC_0779.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

• Like 26

40 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Some 30+ years ago I went with my parents in their RV. We stayed somewhere in nowhere on the BLM lands. Mom kept telling me it was a huge Pow-wow and insisting I go with them. (I was a regular attender at real pow-wows, and had taken her with me several times. She really enjoyed Grand Entry....) I was skeptical (as i had never heard anything about this one), and we had a good laugh when we arrived and got our tickets. We stayed maybe 3 nights- and I remember thinking it was "senior citizens on Spring Break" when we drove into town to dump our tank. There were numerous seniors sitting on folding chairs, in the backs of pick up trucks, with drinks in hand while the trucks slowly cruised along through the one stop light in town. I think it took an hour to go a mile. Fun memories.

@dfish Yikes on the damage. 

@kazu @ger_77 DH has firmly accepted cardboardeux, with the proof that we are checking all new refrigerator candidates to be sure a gallon of milk AND a box of cardboardeux properly fit. 🤨

The Pow Wow was what started the whole Quartzsite gatherings.  I never understood why the rock and gem show was called the Pow Wow.  I think the answer is lost somewhere in history.

I agree, it is like "senior citizens on Spring Break" only now, the seniors are running around town and the desert on their atvs and utvs.  We are getting a lot of families during actual spring break as they have discovered the desert and abandoned the sand dunes in southern CA.

You are correct, Quartzsite is in the middle of nowhere.  I always joke if you look up nowhere in the dictionary, it says Quartzsite. 

For those who have not been fortunate enough to discover Q, it is at the junction of I-10 and US 95 about 85 miles north of Yuma. 

During WWII, this entire area from Yuma to Q northeast to Bouse,  then west to Chiriaco Summit, CA, and north of Blythe to Twenty Nine Palms, was the training ground for General Patton.  It is a huge area, and you can still see tank tracks in the desert.  There are remnants of some of the temporary bases which are slowly being reclaimed by the desert.  There is a Patton Museum in Chiriaco Summit which is interesting.

The pilots among Patton's forces were stationed in Bouse.  To keep them from getting lost flying over the desert, the solders created the Quartzstie alignment.  It is comprised of white rocks forming the word Quartzsite in huge letters with an arrow pointing the way.

In the past 30 years, Q has changed some, but not much.  The biggest change is the addition of two more traffic lights, a blinking light, and widening Main Street.  Now, it does not take an hour to go from one end of town to another.  A few years ago before the road was widened, I made the mistake of taking the road south of I-10 and it took me 1 1/2 hours to get from halfway down the road to the Post Office.  Didn't make that mistake again. 😁

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Big day here.   I am having the house resided.  I am thankful for all those home renovation shows that point out that when doing renovations on an older home, there is often damage that needs to be repaired.   I knew there was a problem around the bedroom window and had several people out to look at it and determine the problem so it could be fixed.  None could find a problem and just said to keep the gutters cleaned out.  I do have them cleaned on a regular basis.  But, look what we uncovered when we took the siding off.  No, I wasn't imagining anything.

I hope I'm not starting something new!

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Oh no!   We had our front window removed two years ago due to an ice dam,  it appeared that one had been replaced with pressure treated lumber,  you never know what you will discover!  Hope you didn’t start anything!  

• Like 7