The Daily for Monday Jan 18, 2021

richwmn

January 2020 Maasdam - Norfolk Island, Australia

I looked forward to the oppportunity to visit this remote island.  I was so proud of myself when I found a local shore excursion and prebooked it in advance.  Many of my fellow travellers did so as well after I posted the info on the roll call.  I had researched their generous cancellation policy before I booked which turned out to be a good thing.  The island is often too windy with rough seas and missed by many cruises.  Sadly, ours as well.  The Australian government has provided them with special tenders that are better in rough seas.  They brought them out to the ship but the captain sent them back to land as it was too dangerous. I have pictures taken from the deck of the ship.  

Below is one of the special tenders.

20200116_071550.thumb.jpg.73b023590219daf0245f26afc4184122.jpg

20200116_073730.thumb.jpg.d655a51c72022e5da53b4754de93f971.jpg

20200116_073801.thumb.jpg.f067a0669a5539df8a28c0ac2f19ddef.jpg

The staff tried to raise our spirits and did a fantastic towel animal zoo around the pool.  

20200117_084343.thumb.jpg.310b2b9cc74d3935a87e7b5ac9e5cfef.jpg

20200117_084436.thumb.jpg.ebb7ecb074eddbb06f033db330897011.jpg

You can see from the water in the pool that the sea was a bit rough!

20200117_092345.thumb.jpg.1737778e1ff3fb79b04dc7d7a0995d01.jpg

Everyone always likes food pictures.  This was the gala dinner.

20200117_195021.thumb.jpg.4cde0be3755ae894f28ec86084b74699.jpg

Double surf, hold the turf for me.  I can get beef here in Iowa, but not lobster. 

20200117_201445.thumb.jpg.063be5a86266fd3f20805456733fac84.jpg

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich, Roy et al! 

Cheers to all the elementary teachers,  specially in such a challenging year!  My daughter is one and I’m so proud of all her efforts!

I enjoyed learning about Quartzite, we often visit Palm Springs so have been in the desert nearby. 

Our new grand dog is now nine months,  time flies! 

E00042C9-5393-47B9-B245-E2D9B37A6463.jpeg

• Like 23

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Rich, Roy et al! 

Cheers to all the elementary teachers,  specially in such a challenging year!  My daughter is one and I’m so proud of all her efforts!

I enjoyed learning about Quartzite, we often visit Palm Springs so have been in the desert nearby. 

Our new grand dog is now nine months,  time flies! 

E00042C9-5393-47B9-B245-E2D9B37A6463.jpeg

Gorgeous!

• Like 4

I did a little research and found a history of the QIA (Quartzsite Improvement Association) which hosts the Pow Wow.  The QIA was formed in 1965 and the first Pow Wow was held in 1967.  There is a history of Q and the QIA compiled by a long time resident, but it only goes through 1980 but does not tell how the Pow Wow got it's name.  If you are interested in learning more about this area, here is the link to the history, which is comprised or several PDF's.  

http://www.qiaarizona.org/History.html

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

The intelligence of any discussion diminishes with the square of the number of participants.
        -- Adam Walinsky

Will AI ever be able to make a joke? | by David O. | Medium

history jokes - Google Search | History jokes, Funny art history, History  cartoon

A Collection: Intelligent Jokes | The Gathering

Fitting Together Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

19 Intelligent Jokes That You Need To Read Twice To Understand

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, kazu said:

For the record, I’ve never used a straw with my cardbordeaux

Neither have I ... yet.   @TiogaCruiser, I'm happy to hear you're looking for a fridge replacement that holds your Cardboardeaux; that's very important to one's well-being!

BTW, I fill in for DH's thesaurus; when working on emails, he often calls from the other room:  "Ger, what's another word for __?"  I usually come up with 2 or 3 for him to choose from.   I'm also his speller.  A woman of many talents. LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The journey continues:

January 18, 2013

The Beagle Channel, Chile

And the wind came up.

We passed the dock at Ushuaia where we were scheduled to tie up. The space left for us was on the windward side of the dock, and per Captain, the winds were approaching the maximum allowed for Veendam’s size. So the decision was made for us to drop anchor and tender in. As the winds usually decrease as the day wears on, we would then move to our space at the dock when it was safe.

So we anchored and the crew began to prepare the tenders. And the winds continued to increase. Whitecaps increased on the water. I had been on Veendam’s skydeck above the Crow’s Nest, and a gust caught me and sent me sliding backwards on the wet deck. So it wasn’t a surprise when the next announcement was that we would be recovering the anchor and heading to Port Williams to check out of Chile, then commencing the crossing of Drake Passage early. 

And so our Antarctic leg began.

Same thing happened to me on Christmas Day 2018 on the Zaandam. We couldn't dock at Ushuaia, went to Puerto Williams, then on to the Drake Passage. I was disappointed. I wanted to go to "The End of the World"!

• Like 6

As primarily a “lurker” on CC, I must admit to loving the friendship and keen wit exhibited in these posts. We are all essentially in the same boat (pun intended!), waiting out this pandemic and dreaming of future cruises. But this morning, as I was waiting in a local mall for the stores to open, the memory of cruising came rushing back when the mall used the same “musical tones” to signal that it was opening time that HAL uses prior to making announcements. Oh to hear those distinct tones again at sea...

• Like 20

I spent a busy few hours this morning setting up a new computer.  My 7-year old HP hard drive failed yesterday for the last time.  I knew it was failing and managed to download all my files to a 2TB Seagate backup yesterday morning.  Then went to Costco and bought a new Dell with both a hard drive and a solid state drive.  Loaded about 7000 pictures into it this morning.  Now they are only sorted by date, so I will have to spend some time culling out the blurs and redundancies.  That will keep me busy for awhile.  I like the new keyboard that came with the Dell.  Feels much better to type on.  After inserting all the pictures and downloading Google Chrome and Gmail, I now have all my old email files and my home page has all the links it had with the old computer.  So I probably don't have anything important on the Seagate drive that I need to reinstall in the computer.

Not a bad day today here; cloudy, but dry so far.

Ray

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, cookingmom said:

As primarily a “lurker” on CC, I must admit to loving the friendship and keen wit exhibited in these posts. We are all essentially in the same boat (pun intended!), waiting out this pandemic and dreaming of future cruises. But this morning, as I was waiting in a local mall for the stores to open, the memory of cruising came rushing back when the mall used the same “musical tones” to signal that it was opening time that HAL uses prior to making announcements. Oh to hear those distinct tones again at sea...

Well Hello & Welcome. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, cookingmom said:

Hey, welcome to posting here!

Those chimes are one of my ring tones for my iPhone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Same thing happened to me on Christmas Day 2018 on the Zaandam. We couldn't dock at Ushuaia, went to Puerto Williams, then on to the Drake Passage. I was disappointed. I wanted to go to "The End of the World"!

The first time we were supposed to see Ushuaia we had just been to Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was in 2012 which was the 30th anniversary of the Falklands "conflict" with Argentina.  The harbor master denied our ship entry to the harbor because of where we had just been.  Big grudge holders!  We just went on to view all the glaciers in Glacier Alley during the daytime hours instead of later that night which was the original schedule, so it worked out nicely.  We have visited Ushuaia three times since then with no problems and I've enjoyed every visit.  I hope you can get there someday.🙂

• Like 7

A little coronavirus humour!

Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace. 

To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. 

I looked through my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished,

So I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how  fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!

• Like 10
  • Haha 17

First of all,  both videos are priceless.  Certainly our laugh of the day.  It is a cloudy day with snow flurries forecast.  We shall see.  We need moisture so badly.

@Sharon in AZ, I think we are on the same September cruise, and I, too, am wondering how soon it will be cancelled.  

Today is a day that I have been in Hawaii frequently.  Always a large parade in Waikiki.  Sure the MLK celebration is very subdued this year.  

Love Pinot Grigio, and also the price tag for today’s offering.  Will look for it the next time I am wine shopping.

Have a great day everyone.  Prayers for those in need.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The first time we were supposed to see Ushuaia we had just been to Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was in 2012 which was the 30th anniversary of the Falklands "conflict" with Argentina.  The harbor master denied our ship entry to the harbor because of where we had just been.  Big grudge holders!  We just went on to view all the glaciers in Glacier Alley during the daytime hours instead of later that night which was the original schedule, so it worked out nicely.  We have visited Ushuaia three times since then with no problems and I've enjoyed every visit.  I hope you can get there someday.🙂

I remember reading about that occurring with several ships. And there was the ship that was boarded by protesters ( I think it was Veendam.) 

In his announcement concerning cancellation of Ush, Captain Bos mentioned that stop would allow us to stop in The Falklands, as that would mean we would be going to Chile, then The Falklands, and not directly (via Antarctica) from Ush to the Falklands.

I don’t know if that is still in effect, as no one mentioned it, but on my 2018 cruise we took a circuitous route from the Falklands, to Punta Arenas and then to Ush.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ironic as we got to Ushuaia but couldn’t tender to the Falklands 😞 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Ironic as we got to Ushuaia but couldn’t tender to the Falklands 😞 

Oh no!  People say it's 50-50 but we have made it every single time the Falklands was on our itinerary.  You need to sign up next time I'm headed there!😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Big day here.   I am having the house resided.  I am thankful for all those home renovation shows that point out that when doing renovations on an older home, there is often damage that needs to be repaired.   I knew there was a problem around the bedroom window and had several people out to look at it and determine the problem so it could be fixed.  None could find a problem and just said to keep the gutters cleaned out.  I do have them cleaned on a regular basis.  But, look what we uncovered when we took the siding off.  No, I wasn't imagining anything.

I hope I'm not starting something new!

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Oh no - that doesn’t look like an easy fix.  I think some stuff is going to have to come out 😞. I remember when we were going to re-side our house.  We were warned that if they saw this, the price went up.

Luckily we apparently did ours in time or lucked out.  No complications underneath.

So sorry for you 😢 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh no!  People say it's 50-50 but we have made it every single time the Falklands was on our itinerary.  You need to sign up next time I'm headed there!😉

We’ll have to do that.  😆 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cookingmom said:

Welcome aboard cookingmom.

Roy

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Has anyone heard from @Seasick Sailorlately?  I don't think I've seen her here on the Daily for a bit.  Hoping all is well with her and DH.🤞

On 1/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Getting too political for me. Watching off for now.

I hope we didn't offend her/

Roy

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I hope we didn't offend her/

Roy

Well, discussing politics here can be stressful because many of us are trying to avoid that.  I know how she feels!  But I am more worried about her DH's health because she mentioned his allergies to the kitten causing some problems.  Hoping all is well with them.

• Like 8