Have heard negative things about Viking

sjde

23 hours ago, sjde said:

I don’t think all cruise lines offer room service. 
I think Viking only had round tables whereas other lines I’ve been on had square or rectangular tables that could be separated for smaller groups at brft/lunch ( though you were quite close to your neighbors) and put together for dinner. 

Avalon does have full room service now. We haven't tried it, but it is available. Their tables are a mix, 2 seaters along the wall, 4-6 along the windows and a couple of large round tables used mostly for groups. Avalon also has dining for lunch & dinner in the lounge where you can sit quite easily on your own, even if you are at a table for 4. On nice days, you can take your plates outside to the front area and eat out there. We sailed on one of the 110m ships and sat at a table for 6, however the couple that sat down with us sat with a space between so we basically had our own table.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, cruisestitch said:

I picked up one of the tourism magazines that had been sitting on the desk.  Out fluttered a card that said “your travel agent sent you a gift of OBC

I have never seen a tourist magazine on Viking

On 8/18/2024 at 4:10 PM, INSIDERS CABIN said:

Viking, in our experience,...most American and fewest international passengers

There are some cruise dates that are only in the USA brochure and website. That accounts for those cruises being 100% or mostly US/Canadian passengers, plus any other nationality that doesn't have a dedicated Viking website.

One year we decided very late to have a river cruise, and the cruises were all booked up on the UK site, but when I phoned Viking they offered me a date that didn't appear on the UK site. It was a US cruise that wasn't full. In such cases they open up bookings to rest of world. When the boat sailed there were 3 couples from the UK and all the rest were from USA & Canada.

On 8/19/2024 at 8:42 AM, sjde said:

I don’t think all cruise lines offer room service. 
I think Viking only had round tables whereas other lines I’ve been on had square or rectangular tables that could be separated for smaller groups at brft/lunch ( though you were quite close to your neighbors) and put together for dinner. 

Not to get picky but VIking's tables are Oval and Rectangular.  The Ovals are for 6 people, and the Rectangular tables are for 6, 8, or 10.

I do not believe that the Viking rectangular tables can be separated.  I believe that they are one table, not 3 or 4 pushed together.

On Viking Douro River there were 2 tops - 3 or 4 of them, but on all other Viking Longships I have never seen 2 tops.  All tables are 6, 8, or 10.

I concur with an above statement, that River Cruising is not for you if you are not a social being.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Not to get picky but VIking's tables are Oval and Rectangular.  The Ovals are for 6 people, and the Rectangular tables are for 6, 8, or 10.

I do not believe that the Viking rectangular tables can be separated.  I believe that they are one table, not 3 or 4 pushed together.

On Viking Douro River there were 2 tops - 3 or 4 of them, but on all other Viking Longships I have never seen 2 tops.  All tables are 6, 8, or 10.

I concur with an above statement, that River Cruising is not for you if you are not a social being.  

My wife and I are not social butterflies by any means, but on both cruises ended up finding like-minded people that we enjoyed having meals with.  Flip side, we quickly determined who we did NOT want to hang out with!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

My wife and I are not social butterflies by any means, but on both cruises ended up finding like-minded people that we enjoyed having meals with.  Flip side, we quickly determined who we did NOT want to hang out with!

I hear you with this.

We "made friends" with two female friends travelling together on the first day in the hotel (part of the cruise itinerary) and their luggage was delayed.  They seemed lots of fun and very jovial.  

They found us at lunch and dinner each day and for the first couple of days, they were fun to eat with, but the stranger side of their personalities came out and it was a challenge to sit with them.  We tried to move tables, but they 98% of the time would either flag us as we walked into the dining room, or would find us and sit with us.

It can work both ways.  You can find those that you have common ground and enjoy and then you can also find those that you want to distance from.

On this same cruise we saw what we think was a "tactic" by one couple.  We had sat with them a couple of times in the dining room, and in the lounge.

After the port talk, when most are running to the dining room to nab the table that they take every night, this couple would hang back.  We would see them enter the dining room when the major crowd had already seated.  Our table was full, and they would say hi as they walked by, but then they would find a table with two seats open and sit there.

We saw them sit with different people almost every meal.  This couple was very pleasant to talk to and had a very welcoming aura around them, but they chose to sit with different people every day.

I think that we may take that approach on our next river cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I hear you with this.

We "made friends" with two female friends travelling together on the first day in the hotel (part of the cruise itinerary) and their luggage was delayed.  They seemed lots of fun and very jovial.  

They found us at lunch and dinner each day and for the first couple of days, they were fun to eat with, but the stranger side of their personalities came out and it was a challenge to sit with them.  We tried to move tables, but they 98% of the time would either flag us as we walked into the dining room, or would find us and sit with us.

It can work both ways.  You can find those that you have common ground and enjoy and then you can also find those that you want to distance from.

On this same cruise we saw what we think was a "tactic" by one couple.  We had sat with them a couple of times in the dining room, and in the lounge.

After the port talk, when most are running to the dining room to nab the table that they take every night, this couple would hang back.  We would see them enter the dining room when the major crowd had already seated.  Our table was full, and they would say hi as they walked by, but then they would find a table with two seats open and sit there.

We saw them sit with different people almost every meal.  This couple was very pleasant to talk to and had a very welcoming aura around them, but they chose to sit with different people every day.

I think that we may take that approach on our next river cruise.

At one meal on our tulip cruise this past April, we sat with 2 other couples, one gentleman asked an appropriate icebreaker question, "so, how did you meet?"  We gave a short answer, and but the husband of the 3rd couple went into a rambling, 20 minute answer full of religious references and divine intervention in the online dating scene---came across as very bizarre. The wife never said a word, and seemed to totally defer to him.   A couple of days later, at dinner we saw a table with only 2 people at it---it was them--we did a 180 and found another table!!

On the same cruise we were befriended by a lovely couple traveling with their daughter and her partner--we ate several times with them, and on disembarkation day they invited us to join them for breakfast.  As they were traveling as a family, we didn't want to intrude, but they insisted!  Very nice folks.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 4

On 8/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, pontac said:

There are some cruise dates that are only in the USA brochure and website. That accounts for those cruises being 100% or mostly US/Canadian passengers, plus any other nationality that doesn't have a dedicated Viking website.

One year we decided very late to have a river cruise, and the cruises were all booked up on the UK site, but when I phoned Viking they offered me a date that didn't appear on the UK site. It was a US cruise that wasn't full. In such cases they open up bookings to rest of world. When the boat sailed there were 3 couples from the UK and all the rest were from USA & Canada.

We too have spoken direct to Viking to book in the UK.  On finding our chosen room grades full they have been forthcoming with additional dates.  

Initially the web site often shows a selection of dates with an option to click Show all dates.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2024 at 6:32 AM, CDNPolar said:

Hi all -- I've just stopped in here because my spouse and I are "river cruise curious." This thread seemed a good one to acquaint myself with the topic. I like to read negative reviews to see if the comments will matter to us -- a good barometer for how we might feel, if you will.

I'm wondering about this particular comment, which I did see repeated several times in this thread. Years ago, we feared that river cruising would not be for us since the vessels are smaller and it's not as easy to "blend in." We travel for the adventure of exploring new spaces and the romantic aspect of traveling together. We prefer to spend meals alone together to talk "amongst ourselves." I fear that from the comments on this thread, we'll have a tough time on any river cruise, regardless of cruise company, of obtaining a table for two. It's not that we aren't social. We'll chat with plenty of folks during various times of the day. But when it's time to dine, we just like holding hands and having a romantic meal together.

PS: We take about 2.5 hours to have a 2-course meal, with lots of pauses for conversation and consumption of adult beverages. Am I nuts to even consider a river cruise??

Edited by Best Cat Mom

2 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Hi all -- I've just stopped in here because my spouse and I are "river cruise curious." This thread seemed a good one to acquaint myself with the topic. I like to read negative reviews to see if the comments will matter to us -- a good barometer for how we might feel, if you will.

I'm wondering about this particular comment, which I did see repeated several times in this thread. Years ago, we feared that river cruising would not be for us since the vessels are smaller and it's not as easy to "blend in." We travel for the adventure of exploring new spaces and the romantic aspect of traveling together. We prefer to spend meals alone together to talk "amongst ourselves." I fear that from the comments on this thread, we'll have a tough time on any river cruise, regardless of cruise company, of obtaining a table for two. It's not that we aren't social. We'll chat with plenty of folks during various times of the day. But when it's time to dine, we just like holding hands and having a romantic meal together.

PS: We take about 2.5 hours to have a 2-course meal, with lots of pauses for conversation and consumption of adult beverages. Am I nuts to even consider a river cruise??

I don't think that you are nuts to consider a River Cruise, but there is not comparison in my experience to Ocean.

We are Viking loyal and have been on both Viking Ocean and River.  Viking Ocean are 930 guests but we always feel "space" on a Viking Ocean ship, and dining for 2 is abundantly available and never an issue.

On River, the space is much more tightly packed.  Only one dining venue (most ships and lines for the main dining room). One lounge for per and post dinner and if everyone is there it is tightly packed too.

Generally one seating for dinner, and the courses tend to come for the table all at once.  Not that you cannot take your time, but they tend to serve the table rather than the individual.  So, if you are going to take more time the table will all be taking more time.

Again, you are not nuts, you are doing the right thing to consider and read and look for the negative and not just the positive.

Interestingly, given a choice I would choose Ocean, and my husband would choose River, but I will go on any cruise I am invited to go on...

• Like 3

Just now, CDNPolar said:

I don't think that you are nuts to consider a River Cruise, but there is not comparison in my experience to Ocean.

I really appreciate your perspective. We have a wonderful "home" for ocean cruises in MSC Yacht Club. The experience is full on Italy -- our favorite holiday place. And the flexibility to be alone and romantic or engaged with others is always there.

We're of the Italian mindset for dinner -- late. We usually start around 8pm and end around 10:30pm for two courses. If river cruises only have one seating, do they accommodate European styles? I know that in Spain even 8pm is early for dinner.

Just now, Best Cat Mom said:

I really appreciate your perspective. We have a wonderful "home" for ocean cruises in MSC Yacht Club. The experience is full on Italy -- our favorite holiday place. And the flexibility to be alone and romantic or engaged with others is always there.

We're of the Italian mindset for dinner -- late. We usually start around 8pm and end around 10:30pm for two courses. If river cruises only have one seating, do they accommodate European styles? I know that in Spain even 8pm is early for dinner.

Most all river cruises have the one seating and it is generally 7pm.  You can arrive 10 or 15 minutes after others, but like I said, they serve the table and the food is prepared by course.  Viking River would not like you coming in at 7:30 or later for sure.  The appetizer service would be done and they would be on the main courses.  

The galleys of river ships are very small and the number of Chefs are limited.  They don't have a galley that can produce on demand at any time.  The resources are engaged with the course going out at the minute.

Likewise, the serving crew are limited.  You will see the same crew serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

River cruises are not set up for multiple seatings.  Pretty much you sit for lunch and dinner at the same time.

Breakfast is more open as you get those coming and going depending on their plans for the day.  We are always first into the dining room for breakfast at 7am and we always have a table to ourselves for breakfast, but we are not lingering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you able to dine in your cabin with course-by-course Butler service on most river cruise lines? That might take care of us most evenings instead of the cattle call that the dining room sounds to be. 😞

PS: I think this question belongs in another thread. My apologies...

Edited by Best Cat Mom
PS

4 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Are you able to dine in your cabin with course-by-course Butler service on most river cruise lines? That might take care of us most evenings instead of the cattle call that the dining room sounds to be. 😞

PS: I think this question belongs in another thread. My apologies...

My experience on River is not on lines with Butlers, there are probably some, but I am not aware, or have not looked at them.

Viking for instance only offers room service for breakfast and only in the two suites.  That's it, there is not room service on most river lines.  Again, limited kitchens and staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

I clearly have to do more research. Grazie, danke, and thank you so much!! 😁

Hmmmm... I guess that I have to look more myself.

Here is what ChatGPT says about Butlers and Room Service on River Cruises:

Yes, several luxury river cruise lines offer butler service and/or room service for all meals. Here are some of the top options:

1. Uniworld Boutique River Cruises

• Butler Service: Uniworld offers butler service to guests staying in suites on their ships. The butlers are trained to high standards, providing personalized service, including packing and unpacking, arranging excursions, and serving in-suite meals.
  • Room Service: Uniworld provides 24-hour room service, including the option to have meals from the ship’s dining menu delivered to your suite, allowing you to enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner in your room if you prefer.

2. Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours

• Butler Service: Scenic offers butler service to all guests, regardless of cabin category, ensuring personalized attention and assistance throughout the cruise. Services include in-suite dining, laundry, and more.
  • Room Service: Scenic offers complimentary in-suite dining for all meals, meaning you can enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the comfort of your suite.

3. Crystal River Cruises

• Butler Service: Crystal River Cruises provides butler service for every suite category on their ships. The butlers handle everything from serving breakfast in bed to planning shore excursions.
  • Room Service: Crystal offers 24-hour room service, allowing guests to enjoy any meal in their suite, with options from the main dining room menu available for in-room dining.

4. AmaWaterways

• Butler Service: While AmaWaterways doesn't offer butler service for all cabin categories, guests in the highest suite categories on select ships may have access to butler service.
  • Room Service: AmaWaterways offers room service for guests staying in certain suite categories, particularly for breakfast, but it is not available for all meals across all ships.

However.... note that if you are docked on a River Ship, you may be "rafted" which means that you could be arms reach to the folks on the ship beside you and their balcony.

You could have a beautiful suite balcony, but be rafted to another ship and if you wanted to eat dinner over a beautiful sunset, and have no view but the ship beside you.

There you go - positive response above with a negative chaser!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

I don't think that a river cruise is a great fit for you.

River cruises operate by a very regimented time line and process.  It really is about you adhering to what the cruise line offers with very little flexibility.  Our dinner experience was we couldn't speed up the dinner time by not ordering certain courses and I don't think that you will be able to slow it down either.

There are very few options outside of the main dining room.  On Avalon you can order room service, but it isn't served course by course.  It all arrives at the same time by a dining room wait staff.  Avalon also opens up a casual fare in the Lounge after the main dining room opens.  It's a smaller version of the main dining room menu and is offered buffet style.  The main dining room opened at 7:00 and the lounge dining opened at 7:15 and will close at 9:00 as that is when the main dining room closes and people are directed to the lounge for after dinner drinks.  At 9:00 you could take your plates and beverages out of the lounge to the small outside area that is adjacent to it.  This of course is less than satisfactory with you interrupting your meal to move to a different location and the location is impacted by weather.  Being outside it is obviously very casual.

• Like 1

Thanks for the perspective. I guess we'll stick with the land holidays that we're accustomed to in Europe. A river cruise really seemed like an easier itinerary, with none of the intense planning that I've had to do in the past. We're not land tours people (and is probably obvious from what I've mentioned so far). I guess my days of planning are not quite done yet. LOL Luckily, most hotels will have staff to help coordinate transfers, etc. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

t dinner you will have to be with others. At brft and lunch , some lines have 2 tops but even those that don’t, well people don’t all arrive at the same time so you could be alone at a 6 or 8 top. 

31 minutes ago, sjde said:

t dinner you will have to be with others. At brft and lunch , some lines have 2 tops but even those that don’t, well people don’t all arrive at the same time so you could be alone at a 6 or 8 top. 

That matches our experiences on multiple AMA and Scenic river cruises.  I don't think breakfast and lunch will be an issue for those who like to dine alone.

We have found that the ambience on river cruises is what you might call "English country house party."  The small number of like-minded passengers leads to easy acquaintances that carry over naturally to sharing a table at dinner.  We do like eating alone-together but, as our cruises tend to be sandwiched between days on land which are 100% two-top dining, we also really enjoy sharing a dinner with new friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having just returned from something just maybe along those lines in Cornwall I concur. Making new acquaintances during a river cruise is part of the enjoyment and if you don’t want to then don’t it’s also definitely not a requirement. If it was essential to your appreciation of your cruise choose Scenic your assigned Butler will serve you in your cabin with anything you require regardless of level. There may be a slight delay during the assigned dinner time but I’m sure you would be able to accept that. Although we have not just once but many times sat in the restaurant with a new group putting the world to rights over a glass of Port until quite late whilst the staff clear around us and including them in our discussions. Memorable times and yes just ask your server (an Americanism I’m not to happy with) they will bring you any digestive at the end of your meal. Remember you paid for the privilege of cruising with the company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Are you able to dine in your cabin with course-by-course Butler service on most river cruise lines? That might take care of us most evenings instead of the cattle call that the dining room sounds to be.

River cruising may not be for everybody. I too did not like the sound of sharing a table but it was no big deal and if you enter the dining room late - after the others have seated - you'll find tables where you can be distant from others or even have one to yourself if the boat is not fully booked.

I do not consider dining to be a cattle call in any way.

River ships are of a necessity small and space is limited. You can pay more for a larger room, but if you are relying on in-room dining check what space you have for dining.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pontac said:

River cruising may not be for everybody. I too did not like the sound of sharing a table but it was no big deal and if you enter the dining room late - after the others have seated - you'll find tables where you can be distant from others or even have one to yourself if the boat is not fully booked.

I do not consider dining to be a cattle call in any way.

River ships are of a necessity small and space is limited. You can pay more for a larger room, but if you are relying on in-room dining check what space you have for dining.

Agree---on both of our river cruises (both sold out, on Viking), we both attended the port talk and then walked to the dining room, never witness the cattle call/stampede and never had trouble finding a round table along the windows.  Of course, we were not looking for "our table", as some do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found that many people vacation in groups of 4-6 and so will always choose to sit together. Also, after the first night or two there seem to be groups who have become acquainted and want to always sit together. 

• Like 2