Live music?

MIJOY

48 minutes ago, MIJOY said:

One of my favorite parts of cruising with Princess is dancing to live music every night.  I see on the newer ships there are no night clubs, is there anywhere to dance other than the piazza?

I think you should consider Take Five as such an opportunity.  There may be some in Vista Lounge, depending on night and the ED predilections. 

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I do not visit the nightclubs during the nightclub hours, but I thought the nightclubs played recorded "music", not live.  Am I wrong?  

Same here, but they always had a live performer in Crooners, so why not Take Five?

Honestly? No, not really. For vibe/ambience, space, lack of feeling singled out, etc. -- the Piazza is likely your best bet.  

I mean, of course, if you're with your significant other and you wanna slow dance in a more closed-off setting, then the Wheelhouse Bar on Royal-class ships have a small dance floor. And you could also do a little thing by the crooner at Crooners. But really, the Piazza seems like the best place to do it, based on the activities they arrange. 

On the Royal & Regal the only real dance location is the Piazza. You may be able to dance a little at the Wheelhouse Bar, but that dance area is actually in the corridor where people walk. It's similar with Crooner's, no real dance floor, but people do dace some in the walking areas. The last time we were on the Royal there were some dance sets in the Vista Lounge. Club 6 had a DJ later in the evening with a small dance floor area. The Sky (have not been on the Sky) should be similar, but no Crooners. The Vista Lounge on the Sky is more like a Club Fusion so there could be some dancing there. The Take 5 lounge may also have some dancing as well as a late night DJ. Princess Live was also redesigned, possible be some dancing there. The new ships Enchanted and Discovery have added Crooner's back and have all the other venues as the Sky. Can't comment on the Majestic. My bottom line is that Royal Class ships do not have the dancing venues that were so popular on Grand/Crown class ships. 

• Like 1

My wife and I love to dance on cruises, and we find it ironic that as main stream cruise lines build bigger and bigger ships, they reduce the dance venues, both in size and numbers.

The best Princess ship for dancing is the Coral.  The Island is okay too, but they did away with the Vista Lounge as one of the venues.  The Grand Class ships are reasonable, but not as good, and the mega ships are worthless.

We used to cruise on Celebrity, but the same thing:  the Century Class ships (now all sold) were good for dancing.  The Millennium Class are okay, but not near as good, and the Solstice Class ships are worthless.  So we've long since stopped cruising Celebrity and we had a very high status.

The Queens, of course, have huge ballrooms, and the two Crystal ocean going ships each have two spacious dance areas, so these five ships are among our favorites.

FWIW,

Bruce

3 hours ago, schnutz said:

Last cruise I was on there was no band at the sail away party and no band at the pool in the afternoon.  Is this a trend on all cruise lines?

Our last Princess cruise was a b2b2b in February 2020 on the Crown just before the shutdown. We had live music at each sail away. There were also some live music sets at the main pool during the afternoon. The Crown has the two outdoor main pool areas one with MUTS the other without. Ships that have MUTS at the main pool have less afternoon live music, more MUTS.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, schnutz said:

Last cruise I was on there was no band at the sail away party and no band at the pool in the afternoon.  Is this a trend on all cruise lines?

Interesting, on our Feb 2020 cruise we had a band at sail away.  And a couple of time, yes, the band was at the pool.  True, the DJ had moments too.  Also, we had a steel drum performance too.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, schnutz said:

Not at all!  Norwegian, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean have live bands throughout the cruise.  And there are probably many more.  Princess is now lacking with that, sadly.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:36 PM, brucedodge said:

My wife and I love to dance on cruises, and we find it ironic that as main stream cruise lines build bigger and bigger ships, they reduce the dance venues, both in size and numbers.

The best Princess ship for dancing is the Coral.  The Island is okay too, but they did away with the Vista Lounge as one of the venues.  The Grand Class ships are reasonable, but not as good, and the mega ships are worthless.

We used to cruise on Celebrity, but the same thing:  the Century Class ships (now all sold) were good for dancing.  The Millennium Class are okay, but not near as good, and the Solstice Class ships are worthless.  So we've long since stopped cruising Celebrity and we had a very high status.

The Queens, of course, have huge ballrooms, and the two Crystal ocean going ships each have two spacious dance areas, so these five ships are among our favorites.

FWIW,

Bruce

Holland America has all live music venues, It’s the main entertainment.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Mike45LC said:

I do not visit the nightclubs during the nightclub hours, but I thought the nightclubs played recorded "music", not live.  Am I wrong?  

The Wheel house bar and Explores Club usually had live music,  Quite often there would be 2 bands playing at once, those days may be gone forever.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mike45LC said:

The true nightclubs have a DJ and start up late evening. On Grand Class ships it's Skywalker's or One5. Royal Class ships do not have a true nightclub. A DJ did play late night in Club 6. From late afternoon until 11pm/midnight expect all live music in the venues. I have also seen some late night DJ in other venues such as Club Fusion, late evening.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:36 AM, brucedodge said:

FWIW,

Bruce

We loved the dancing on the Coral.  Living on the west coast, most of our cruises have been Grand Class ships, usually we are happy with the music and dancing.  If we ever get to cruise again, I will be spending the grandkids inheritance on Cunard cruises.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:36 AM, brucedodge said:

FWIW,

Bruce

Really? We danced until the wee hours on the Solstice class ships; had a great time, and we aren't usually the late night ones...it takes all sorts to make a cruise🍷