Celebrity cruisers considering Oceana

DENIE

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Just saw this thread and replying to the OP.  IMO the best way I can explain the difference between Celebrity and Oceania (even though we've only sailed O twice on the Riviera) .....Oceania is currently what Celebrity used to be when we first sailed them in 1993 on the Horizon and stayed that way until RCI bought them out and, little by little, chipped all the luxuries that made Celebrity a Premier cruise line.

I'm sure those of you who have been sailing Oceania for as long as we've been sailing Celebrity, some also might feel that since NCL now owns Oceania,  O luxuries have been chipped away as well. 

Thank you Loracpin2!

We did book the Oceania voyage that we were considering about a month ago, and we cannot wait.  Rather than the Baltic, we decided to do a 10-night Rome to Barcelona on the Riviera. The advice on this thread has been very helpful!  🙂

Edited by DENIE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I'm sure those of you who have been sailing Oceania for as long as we've been sailing Celebrity, some also might feel that since NCL now owns Oceania,  O luxuries have been chipped away as well. 

Not really

a few things have changed  but they still have the good quality food & amenities

Denie and others,

Ok, we have been on X  and in Blu when it was first introduced. Your O Class experience will definitely be superior.  We are Platinum Level on O, means 20 + cruise credits so our next 14 day cruise will be our FREE one. Not a bad perk.

You did not mention your Riviera stateroom level but I will share a few more thoughts. Consider Concierge Level Veranda A1-4, because you have your own Private Concierge Lounge, the laundry room is provided FREE, you will receive three FREE Oceania Laundry services for up to 20 items each, Room Service is from the Grand Dining Room, Spa access and the thalosotherapy  pool (misspelled) is FREE instead of $30, AND FOR THISE WHO LIKE THEIR WINE, BRING YOUR OWN ABOARD. We travel with friends who have a custom suitcase for 12 bottles. Even if you have to pay a $25 corkage, that is nothing when you are drinking a fine bottle from Napa Valley or Bordeaux with your dinner in GDR or the Premiums. Bring your bottles of hard liquor and have your drink in your room or just fill your glass at “home” and take it with you , just leave the bottle behind. Your room steward will keep you stocked with wine glasses or order the 2 for 1 drinks every night in the bars, take the extras with you to dinner.

When we have been able to step up to a Penthouse, your Room Service for dinner is from the Four Premium Restaurants and there is no limit on the number of times you can “Dine In”. Premium dinners are always FREE. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN EXECUTIVE LOUNGE AND CONCIERGE. Need dinner reservations? Your Butler will handle it.  We always travel with friends so we arrange dinner parties in the Premiums and invite them so we all benefit. Of course any amenity offered to the Concierge Level guests are included with the additional perks for the PH. 

One thing we ALWAYS do when on Riviera or Marina with our friends and other guests, we book a night or two depending on the length of the cruise(s) in Prive for a private party for up to 10. It does cost $300 but it is a wonderful evening for Birthday and Anniversary and whatever Celebrations. For $30 a head, check it out on line; your own Wait staff, Sommelier, visits with the Chef and Maitre d and you never know who else will drop in. 

Oh yes, ALWAYS BOOK FUTURE CRUISES WHILE ON BOARD. The O Club Ambassador is your Best Friend! Another Free Cocktail party too.  

We are on Riviera beginning October 18 so we have 🤞🙏. Well that is it for now and we know you will really enjoy Oceania.  If you need more reason why or encouragement, feel free to send an email, bgesker@gmail.com. 

Gerry and Bonnie

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Other than the change to the Oceania Club benefits no. On the last cruises I took in the fall of 2019(3, one on Marina and two on Riviera) the on board experience was as good as ever. That's a conclusion that a lot of people jumped to when the merger happened, but in my experience just didn't happen. 

Having said that, if you look hard enough and know what you're looking for, there are some little things, but I see it more as changes as opposed to downgrades

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Other than the change to the Oceania Club benefits no. On the last cruises I took in the fall of 2019(3, one on Marina and two on Riviera) the on board experience was as good as ever. That's a conclusion that a lot of people jumped to when the merger happened, but in my experience just didn't happen. 

Having said that, if you look hard enough and know what you're looking for, there are some little things, but I see it more as changes as opposed to downgrades

I remember the speculation.  It's very good to hear that was wrong and that Oceania hasn't suffered from the widespread 'death by a thousand cuts.'

22 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Just saw this thread and replying to the OP.  IMO the best way I can explain the difference between Celebrity and Oceania (even though we've only sailed O twice on the Riviera) .....Oceania is currently what Celebrity used to be when we first sailed them in 1993 on the Horizon and stayed that way until RCI bought them out and, little by little, chipped all the luxuries that made Celebrity a Premier cruise line.

NCL is owned by Genting & Apollo mgt. Apollo bought Oceania & Regent before buying into NCL. NCL was later organized into "NCL Holdings". Oceania/Regent are not owned by NCL. They are all part of the holding company. I think the lines will remain "separate". Celebrity did get dumbed down by RCCL. I hope the line starts to differentiate itself from the parent co. The edge class seems to indicate it wants to go more upscale. Same with Oceania. The new ship coming out in the next year or so seems more akin to Regent in my opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rbtan said:

NCL is owned by Genting & Apollo mgt. Apollo bought Oceania & Regent before buying into NCL. NCL was later organized into "NCL Holdings". Oceania/Regent are not owned by NCL. They are all part of the holding company. I think the lines will remain "separate". Celebrity did get dumbed down by RCCL. I hope the line starts to differentiate itself from the parent co. The edge class seems to indicate it wants to go more upscale. Same with Oceania. The new ship coming out in the next year or so seems more akin to Regent in my opinion.

Getting and Apollo sold out in December 2018.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Apollo-and-Star-cash-out-of-NCLH

22 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Denie and others,

Ok, we have been on X  and in Blu when it was first introduced. Your O Class experience will definitely be superior.  We are Platinum Level on O, means 20 + cruise credits so our next 14 day cruise will be our FREE one. Not a bad perk.

You did not mention your Riviera stateroom level but I will share a few more thoughts. Consider Concierge Level Veranda A1-4, because you have your own Private Concierge Lounge, the laundry room is provided FREE, you will receive three FREE Oceania Laundry services for up to 20 items each, Room Service is from the Grand Dining Room, Spa access and the thalosotherapy  pool (misspelled) is FREE instead of $30, AND FOR THISE WHO LIKE THEIR WINE, BRING YOUR OWN ABOARD. We travel with friends who have a custom suitcase for 12 bottles. Even if you have to pay a $25 corkage, that is nothing when you are drinking a fine bottle from Napa Valley or Bordeaux with your dinner in GDR or the Premiums. Bring your bottles of hard liquor and have your drink in your room or just fill your glass at “home” and take it with you , just leave the bottle behind. Your room steward will keep you stocked with wine glasses or order the 2 for 1 drinks every night in the bars, take the extras with you to dinner.

When we have been able to step up to a Penthouse, your Room Service for dinner is from the Four Premium Restaurants and there is no limit on the number of times you can “Dine In”. Premium dinners are always FREE. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN EXECUTIVE LOUNGE AND CONCIERGE. Need dinner reservations? Your Butler will handle it.  We always travel with friends so we arrange dinner parties in the Premiums and invite them so we all benefit. Of course any amenity offered to the Concierge Level guests are included with the additional perks for the PH. 

One thing we ALWAYS do when on Riviera or Marina with our friends and other guests, we book a night or two depending on the length of the cruise(s) in Prive for a private party for up to 10. It does cost $300 but it is a wonderful evening for Birthday and Anniversary and whatever Celebrations. For $30 a head, check it out on line; your own Wait staff, Sommelier, visits with the Chef and Maitre d and you never know who else will drop in. 

Oh yes, ALWAYS BOOK FUTURE CRUISES WHILE ON BOARD. The O Club Ambassador is your Best Friend! Another Free Cocktail party too.  

We are on Riviera beginning October 18 so we have 🤞🙏. Well that is it for now and we know you will really enjoy Oceania.  If you need more reason why or encouragement, feel free to send an email, bgesker@gmail.com. 

Gerry and Bonnie

Mauibabes...thanks for all the information you provided.  We did decide on an A3 Concierge class stateroom.  It is a bit more than we usually do, but it felt good to "spoil" ourselves.  Can't do suites just yet.  But, yes, some of the additional amenities for this level definitely sold us.  Although we enjoyed all of our Celebrity cruises, there are some things about Oceania that may make us not to want to go back! 🙂

On 1/30/2021 at 6:05 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

When comparing similar O and X itineraries, may I suggest you compare O's balcony cabin price with that of a Sky Suite on X. You might be surprised how similar they are. And it's for that reason, among others, we mostly sail with X now.

We very much enjoyed our 10 cruises with O, but really enjoy are X cruises in a SS and all the perks that go along with it!

Celebrity does a good cruise with a large number of guests. There has been crowding that you seldom see on Oceania. Cabin size is important. Small cabins are uncomfortable. However, there's more to a cruise than just a good cabin.  Space in the main venues, service, food, and itinerary are all important.  Oceania beats Celebrity on most of that.  Oceania has excellent service and food.  O balcony on Marina or Riviera is really a suite on most ships.    On Oceania, everyone has access to all bars, restaurants, pool space, and lounge area.  Oceania fare includes specialty restaurant with a equitable advance reservation system.  Cost for Oceania is more than Celebrity...and it's worth it.  

On 4/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, rbtan said:

NCL is owned by Genting & Apollo mgt. Apollo bought Oceania & Regent before buying into NCL. NCL was later organized into "NCL Holdings". 

40 minutes ago, LHT28 said:
Edited by RetiredLifer

Just checked NASDAQ for institutional investors and could not find Apollo or Genting holding NCHL stock. Went down as far as 34,000 shares ownership (less then $1,000,000)  NCLH has 370 million outstanding shares.  

Edited by RetiredLifer

9 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Just checked NASDAQ for institutional investors and could not find Apollo or Genting holding NCHL stock. Went down as far as 34,000 shares ownership (less then $1,000,000)  NCLH has 370 million outstanding shares.  

Frequently, in situations like this former investors will maintain a tiny holding. They probably have less than $1million, but you'll have a hard time finding if they own any or not. That all being said, I think if NCL tries to reduce the quality on O it will be noticed. Remember, we're talking a small line with a dedicated group of pax. We jumped to O when quality on Celebrity dropped as much as it did in 2017. We're in the food industry & Celebrity was normally very good. Their specialty restaurants still are. When a Maître D has to drag the head chef into the dining room & have him apologize for the food quality, says a lot! I think their Edge class is a tryout to get back to the premium image they used to have. The 3 lines we've been on in the last few years have been O/Celebrity/Princess. We found the following in our opinion: O, easily the best food(by far)good itineraries & the ability to go more into ports due to ship size. Celebrity, I feel may be trying to rebrand itself, since the homogenization with parent RCCL. I do feel the virtual balconies are really kind of dumb. They generally have good entertainment, but a lot has gone to RCCL's mega ships. Princess: We love the staff. Kindest & most concerned about your well being really does matter. Not necessarily the most professional, but the most friendly. Food quality on the Grand class is pretty poor, but they can really do it if they try. The ultimate balcony dinner last year was excellent. They seem to be trying to upgrade the quality of the specialty rest. on the Royal class. We do like the Club Class minisuites. A tad larger than the Cabins on O. We are booked next Jan. 14 on Riviera, but will be more thoroughly scoping out Celebrity & Princess in 2023.

• Like 1

I believe the three biggest changes I’ve noticed since the take over is:

1. I believe on our last 2019 cruise we were told that the cabin attendants now were assigned 21 cabins each, which was a significant increase than in the past. Service was still excellent, however one could tell the staff was much more hurried and rushed.

2. The Terrace is for Teatotallers. This has been commented on by multiple other cruisers besides myself. Definitely a reduction in beverage wait staff and service, especially in the Terrace. The beer and wine service there is very poor. All the more reason for us to avoid the buffet. Teatotallers wouldn’t notice the change.

3. On the plus side, the new free laundry packages for Concierge and above has been a hit.

Edited by pinotlover

On 4/7/2021 at 4:06 PM, LHT28 said:

On Oceania   afternoon tea takes place EVERY day except embarkation day 😉

Thanks, LHT, you're so right!  I'd forgotten since it's now been over a year since I've been on one of those beautiful ships.  Next one up is Jan 14 2022 on Riviera for fourteen glorious days.  During this past year five of my reservations have been cancelled.  I know, I'm a glutton for punishment - each time one got cancelled I'd take a leap and book another two months further out.  Our upcoming cruise in Jan is the furthest out in time.  Got tired waiting for FCC's to show up, but Jan cruise is fully paid with FCC's.