Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

On 4/17/2022 at 9:04 AM, sippican said:

Any other "short gals" out there that can add information about the pants provided? I am 5'3" and even some petites are miles too long. Was it an issue for anyone?

Another hint for finding reasonable insulated wear for under the pants is to shop in the activewear departments of TJMaxx or such. Some of the ladies exercise/yoga pants are fleece lined. I use them under my ski pants.

Just roll the cuff up.  You'll be wearing the provided waterproof boots every time you wear the pants.  My wife rolled her pants up with no problem.  They got wet during shore landings and when getting boots washed of guano upon return to the ship, but the drying closet in each room had them ready for the next day.  

• Like 2

I hope this is the right thread to ask this, but I couldn't find a Viking Expeditions forum, yet. 

We had an Antarctica Expedition scheduled for this past January on Atlas' World Navigator. 45 minutes before we were to board our charter from Orlando to Ushuaia they canceled the cruise. The prior cruise had several COVID cases and Argentina was requiring a thorough cleaning and inspection of the ship, and Atlas did not feel they could turn around the ship quickly enough. We rebooked for January 2023, but Atlas has made several changes that we aren't happy with, so we are cancelling the cruise.

We've been looking for a replacement expedition and like much of what Viking offers with the Octanis and Polaris Antarctica sailings. What's keeping us from booking is our concern with the large passenger count. Can anyone that sailed Octanis to Antarctica this past season give feedback on how having almost 400 passengers on an Antarctica expedition ship impeded your ability to get on excursions while in Antarctica. I know Viking guarantees one landing per day (subject to weather), but I would like to do multiple outings each day. Were you able to do multiple outings each day and how difficult were the additional outings to arrange?

Thank you,

Kevin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kml246 said:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this, but I couldn't find a Viking Expeditions forum, yet. 

We had an Antarctica Expedition scheduled for this past January on Atlas' World Navigator. 45 minutes before we were to board our charter from Orlando to Ushuaia they canceled the cruise. The prior cruise had several COVID cases and Argentina was requiring a thorough cleaning and inspection of the ship, and Atlas did not feel they could turn around the ship quickly enough. We rebooked for January 2023, but Atlas has made several changes that we aren't happy with, so we are cancelling the cruise.

We've been looking for a replacement expedition and like much of what Viking offers with the Octanis and Polaris Antarctica sailings. What's keeping us from booking is our concern with the large passenger count. Can anyone that sailed Octanis to Antarctica this past season give feedback on how having almost 400 passengers on an Antarctica expedition ship impeded your ability to get on excursions while in Antarctica. I know Viking guarantees one landing per day (subject to weather), but I would like to do multiple outings each day. Were you able to do multiple outings each day and how difficult were the additional outings to arrange?

Thank you,

Kevin

Most days we did a Zodiac landing and one of the other activities (kayak, Special Ops Boat or Zodiac cruise)  See my previous about the submersibles.  We were the last cruise of the season and had 6 days in Antarctica, so that may not be typical and the ship was not at passenger capacity.  One day was a hybrid, I kayaked and went to shore in my dry suit, then Zodiac back to the ship.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, LadyVol1 said:

Sunflower & The Scientist - I don’t know your UV answer. We live in Lee’s Summit. I would love it if you would email me a copy of a sea day daily program and take a photo of the non-treadmill cardio equipment in the gym in August. (Does each piece have a tv with it?) I’m interested in free “sweaty” fitness classes (if there are any) and the daily program should show this. Thanks in advance! janet AT haskett DOT org

We were on the Octantis last week. I didn't use the gym, but we walked in at looked at what we were taking a vacation from 😉 There are no TV screens on the equipment, but most of it does face the windows with a fabulous view of the water outside. No exercise classes were offered, and there were no sea days planned for our Milwaukee --> Toronto voyage. We got a sea day when we missed Alpena due to high winds, so they added a couple of lectures in the Aula, and scenic sailing of Lake Huron.

If you search Octantis on YouTube, several people have posted video of a walk-through of the ship, including the gym, so you can look for yourself at what is there. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, talltexan said:

We were on the Octantis last week. I didn't use the gym, but we walked in at looked at what we were taking a vacation from 😉 There are no TV screens on the equipment, but most of it does face the windows with a fabulous view of the water outside. No exercise classes were offered, and there were no sea days planned for our Milwaukee --> Toronto voyage. We got a sea day when we missed Alpena due to high winds, so they added a couple of lectures in the Aula, and scenic sailing of Lake Huron.

If you search Octantis on YouTube, several people have posted video of a walk-through of the ship, including the gym, so you can look for yourself at what is there. 

Hi..we're going in June same cruise:  my wife has some mobility issues...thinking the zodiac would not be a good idea since she had 2 knee replacements and can't lift her legs that far.  What about the Sep. Ops boat?  Viking says it's filled up but we should ask when onboard.  Are umbrellas provided?  Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated.  One difference betw. Cele and V...celebrity will pay for hotel and meals to a limit, if you contract Covid while onboard and must debark.  Viking says we're on our own under the same circumstances.

On 5/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, CTLeeA said:

Hi..we're going in June same cruise:  my wife has some mobility issues...thinking the zodiac would not be a good idea since she had 2 knee replacements and can't lift her legs that far.  What about the Sep. Ops boat?  Viking says it's filled up but we should ask when onboard.  Are umbrellas provided?  Any hints or suggestions will be appreciated.  One difference betw. Cele and V...celebrity will pay for hotel and meals to a limit, if you contract Covid while onboard and must debark.  Viking says we're on our own under the same circumstances.

I did not get in a Zodiac, or watch one launch, so I can't speak to that.

The Special Ops vessel is not hard to get into. There is a step down from a platform into the boat of less than a foot, and I imagine help could be given to get your wife up and down that one step. Since the boat is still inside the hangar of the ship, it is not rocking in the water during boarding. There are several videos on YouTube that show it in use. This one shows the door in the side that opens, and the platform you'd be stepping from, at about 55 seconds on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfmJ-c0j7E

Viking has umbrellas available, as well as binoculars in each cabin.

It's my understanding that trip insurance would reimburse you for hotel and meals if the local laws demand that a Covid positive passenger be put off the ship, rather than quarantined in a cabin on board. It is not Viking's decision, but they must abide by rules of the location.

10 hours ago, talltexan said:

I did not get in a Zodiac, or watch one launch, so I can't speak to that.

The Special Ops vessel is not hard to get into. There is a step down from a platform into the boat of less than a foot, and I imagine help could be given to get your wife up and down that one step. Since the boat is still inside the hangar of the ship, it is not rocking in the water during boarding. There are several videos on YouTube that show it in use. This one shows the door in the side that opens, and the platform you'd be stepping from, at about 55 seconds on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfmJ-c0j7E

Viking has umbrellas available, as well as binoculars in each cabin.

It's my understanding that trip insurance would reimburse you for hotel and meals if the local laws demand that a Covid positive passenger be put off the ship, rather than quarantined in a cabin on board. It is not Viking's decision, but they must abide by rules of the location.

Thank you very much...very thoughtful of you.  We were told to  ask when we board the ship to see if anyone might have cancelled.  I was going to do the submarine but with covid so rampant, the thought of being shumshed into a small space with 5 strangers for 45 minutes makes if less appealing.  

6 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

Thank you very much...very thoughtful of you.  We were told to  ask when we board the ship to see if anyone might have cancelled.  I was going to do the submarine but with covid so rampant, the thought of being shumshed into a small space with 5 strangers for 45 minutes makes if less appealing.  

Submersibles can not operate in US or Canadian waters due to Canadian and US Coast Guard regulations so that isn't a consideration.  

6 minutes ago, eylarson said:

Submersibles can not operate in US or Canadian waters due to Canadian and US Coast Guard regulations so that isn't a consideration.  

I was in a submersible off Waikiki beach.

3 hours ago, eylarson said:

I don't know if your statement is accurate or dependent upon a license or permit but that's a better question for Viking to respond to.

22 hours ago, eylarson said:

Mini-Sub will operate in Great Lakes in Canadian waters on current cruise.

23 hours ago, eylarson said:

Can't say about Canadian regulations, but these submersibles are covered by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1994, and Subchapter T of 46CFR for USCG regulations.  Passenger carrying submersibles have been operating in US jurisdiction since 1987.  Subchapter T applies to "small passenger vessels", those carrying 6-12 passengers.  Any vessel (submersible or not), that carries less than 6 passengers for hire are considered to be "uninspected vessels", and fall under 46 CFR Subchapter C.   The 1994 Act initiated the inspection of foreign vessels for compliance to carry passengers in US waters, and this includes the submersibles.  The submersibles are considered to be no different from the tender boats on foreign flag cruise ships.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Can't say about Canadian regulations, but these submersibles are covered by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1994, and Subchapter T of 46CFR for USCG regulations.  Passenger carrying submersibles have been operating in US jurisdiction since 1987.  Subchapter T applies to "small passenger vessels", those carrying 6-12 passengers.  Any vessel (submersible or not), that carries less than 6 passengers for hire are considered to be "uninspected vessels", and fall under 46 CFR Subchapter C.   The 1994 Act initiated the inspection of foreign vessels for compliance to carry passengers in US waters, and this includes the submersibles.  The submersibles are considered to be no different from the tender boats on foreign flag cruise ships.

All that may be, but we were on Octantis from 9 March to 7 May.  There were limited sub ops in Antarctic waters and at two locations in the Caribbean.  None from there to Milwaukee and the reason given was the challenge of compliance with regulations. 

Given our experience, I would not recommend booking an expedition cruise because you must go in a submersible.  The operating envelope is so small, the opportunity so limited and you will miss other events while waiting for your turn to dive.  One couple was scheduled four times and never left the ship.  My wife, once and missed an outstanding snorkel excursion.    

7 minutes ago, eylarson said:

All that may be, but we were on Octantis from 9 March to 7 May.  There were limited sub ops in Antarctic waters and at two locations in the Caribbean.  None from there to Milwaukee and the reason given was the challenge of compliance with regulations. 

Given our experience, I would not recommend booking an expedition cruise because you must go in a submersible.  The operating envelope is so small, the opportunity so limited and you will miss other events while waiting for your turn to dive.  One couple was scheduled four times and never left the ship.  My wife, once and missed an outstanding snorkel excursion.    

Thx for the words of advice! You surely have experienced so much on your 60 days! I hope you’re happily home and back to normal life. 

I finally found the reviews of Viking Octantis on CC. All except one  raved but this expedition ship. One talked about the grille in the buffet, when you can order a number of various steaks. The public space  and especially the theater  now  at the back of the ship with windows  has been really thought out for comfort and viewing. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I finally found the reviews of Viking Octantis on CC. All except one  raved but this expedition ship. One talked about the grille in the buffet, when you can order a number of various steaks. The public space  and especially the theater  now  at the back of the ship with windows  has been really thought out for comfort and viewing. 

I don’t know about you, but I think in all 49 of my previous cruises, I’ve ordered steak … hmmmm … perhaps never! Nor do I enjoy dinner at a buffet. But it’s certainly good to have choices!

7 minutes ago, May B said:

I don’t know about you, but I think in all 49 of my previous cruises, I’ve ordered steak … hmmmm … perhaps never! Nor do I enjoy dinner at a buffet. But it’s certainly good to have choices!

Here is the review , this person has  eaten  steak in  World cafe .. I have done it very rarely. Like a MDR for dinner.

But her review is very informative.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686486

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:54 AM, eylarson said:

Most days we did a Zodiac landing and one of the other activities (kayak, Special Ops Boat or Zodiac cruise)  See my previous about the submersibles.  We were the last cruise of the season and had 6 days in Antarctica, so that may not be typical and the ship was not at passenger capacity.  One day was a hybrid, I kayaked and went to shore in my dry suit, then Zodiac back to the ship.  

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your reply. I got involved reading your blog (well done!) and forgot to reply. In any event, your blog was helpful in making our decision. We did cancel the Atlas Antarctica cruise for January, but we're going to go with Silversea. We're concerned with the number of people on Octanis and Polaris and there just hasn't been enough actual cruises yet to get adequate feedback. I'm so glad you had a great time. I hope you have an even better time on your World Cruise next year!

Kevin

3 hours ago, eylarson said:

As Octantis is new to US operations, it likely has not had its "certificate of compliance" inspection by the USCG, or got it during your time onboard, if there were any US ports, as the ship itself needs the certificate, and the submersibles would be covered under this certificate.  This can be done overseas, if the line is willing to pay for the travel and overtime for the USCG inspectors to go abroad.

Not sure why there would be regulatory issues in the Caribbean, but I'm sure the Polar Code may have had something to do with working the submersible in Antarctic waters.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As Octantis is new to US operations, it likely has not had its "certificate of compliance" inspection by the USCG, or got it during your time onboard, if there were any US ports, as the ship itself needs the certificate, and the submersibles would be covered under this certificate.  This can be done overseas, if the line is willing to pay for the travel and overtime for the USCG inspectors to go abroad.

Not sure why there would be regulatory issues in the Caribbean, but I'm sure the Polar Code may have had something to do with working the submersible in Antarctic waters.

I believe, weather permitting, the submersibles did see some use in the Caribbean, although demand exceeded capacity.

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Here is the review , this person has  eaten  steak in  World cafe .. I have done it very rarely. Like a MDR for dinner.

But her review is very informative.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686486

Thx for posting this! It amused me somewhat, since I personally happen to adore corned beef hash for breakfast, and I certainly don’t cruise to eat Mexican food. But heck, choice is good, and I expect I’ll find plenty. 

The ramped up offerings of steak and roast beef at the buffet could take a nice amount of pressure off The Restaurant, each evening, where I hope to dine, six of my seven days on board. Also, despite never ordering steak onboard, I absolutely will expect to have prime rib once per cruise. That relates to my own at-home experiences. With all the hype about a tomahawk steak lately, I might be able to entice Mr B to share that with me one night at the buffet. And I saw a few really neat seats where we can watch the chefs in action. That appeals to me!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 6:41 AM, brosen1 said:

Sorry, but I'm not sure if my slide show pdf successfully attached to my previous post, so here it is again.  Open in full screen mode in Adobe Acrobat for best viewing.

1137108679_Antarcticaslideshow.pdf 34.64 MB · 67 downloads

OMG, wonderful photos. Thanks for the time to share to us awaiting our turn. We are scheduled for Nov 4-22 2022 South America and Antarctic. So excited.

Just found this thread. We are new to Viking and will be on the TB to Milwaukee on July 9th. Looking forward to it - hopeful - our last two cruises on other lines in 2022 we had to cancel ... so I keep my fingers crossed! I did make a roll call for this date as there was not one yet that I could see. Looking forward to seeing what the "splash" is about with Viking!