Do you purchase trip insurance?

sjde

Guess I am lucky... I purchase an annual plan.  I am covered for any number of trips per year - up to 17 days each trip.  Although, I can increase the plan to cover 35 days/trip if necessary.   I just have to be "home" for 24 hours prior to my next trip.  This covers trip cancellation or interruption AND out of country medical.  I would never travel without it!!

Fran

15 minutes ago, sjde said:

Do you use an online TA rather than someone local? 

She's online, but not part of some big box or anything – very personal service.  Too bad we can't share TA details on Cruise Critic.

55 minutes ago, sjde said:

Are you saying that if I buy through a TA , I can  get coverage for pre- existing conditions when I purchase at final payment? But otherwise,  if I buy direct, in order to get that  coverage I have to purchase when I make the first deposit payment  ( or shortly after)?

I buy through a TA - she lives out of state and I contact her via phone or email. Certain travel agents have made an agreement with Allianz for this. Not all travel agents have this.

Edited by Coral

16 minutes ago, Coral said:

I buy through a TA - she lives out of state and I contact her via phone or email. Certain travel agents have made an agreement with Allianz for this. Not all travel agents have this.

The policy my TA sells is called the 'Journey Plan' – I haven't seen it on the Allianz website for direct purchase.

6 hours ago, sjde said:

My daughter doesn't believe in purchasing it. She thinks maybe they'd have to miss 1 trip in 10 and the amount they would lose would about equal what they'd have paid had they bought insurance for 10 years, so it's a wash. Just a different way of looking at it.

Honestly, a medical emergency abroad could actually bankrupt me. If I was wealthy, I may think like your daughter but I know enough people who have had six figure medical bills while traveling. I can't afford that. 

Your daughter maybe thinking of getting bronchitis while traveling. I am worried about a car accident, having emergency appendix surgery or possibly something worse. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The policy my TA sells is called the 'Journey Plan' – I haven't seen it on the Allianz website for direct purchase.

Mine says: Worldwide Travel Protection.

All I know is my agent is a franchise owner, part of a very large agency. The large agency worked with Allianz to customize a plan just for them. I am guessing Allianz has hundreds of plans, some they have specialized for specific travel agencies.

Never heard of an annual plan!

Jazzbeau- Are you able to share how you found her? 

Coral-- She hadn’t thought that far forward. She just was thinking about having to cancel before leaving , due to illness.

Edited by sjde

21 minutes ago, sjde said:

Coral-- She hadn’t thought that far forward. She just was thinking about having to cancel before leaving , due to illness.

I think you are right. I can obviously afford to lose the cost of the cruise fare (as much as I don't want to) - I just can't afford to have an accident abroad as my health insurance covers poorly outside of the US.

Annual plans in the US are not as good as I would want them to be.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We bought an Allianz policy for a land trip 6 months out.  2 months before departure, the company canceled the trip (not enough travelers to run it).  I requested from Alianz a refund for the final 2 months, since there would be no trip to insure for those 2 months.  Instead they refunded the entire fee for the whole 6 months-----made us big fans of Allianz.

AND--they credited my credit card within a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjde said:

Never heard of an annual plan!

I have looked into them several times but never found one.

2 hours ago, sjde said:

Jazzbeau- Are you able to share how you found her?

I think we were referred to her from the AmaWaterways website, but I don't see anythng on their website now that does this.  We had previously used a TA that we got from the Oceania website, but she wasn't a good match.  This one works closely with AMA, especially on their Beer itineraries, and really knows river cruising as well as ocean cruising and land tours – her advice is always valuable.

9 hours ago, Coral said:

Honestly, a medical emergency abroad could actually bankrupt me. If I was wealthy, I may think like your daughter but I know enough people who have had six figure medical bills while traveling. I can't afford that. 

Your daughter maybe thinking of getting bronchitis while traveling. I am worried about a car accident, having emergency appendix surgery or possibly something worse. 

I can give a perfect example of that.  We have a Canadian couple from the East Coast.  They usually go to Florida every winter, Jan 1 or so, and purchase medical insurance.  This year, despite the Govt. requesting that we stay home and not travel, they decided to go anyway.  They got a cheap flight on the 5th of Dec. She forgot to change the insurance starting date.  They called on the 21st of Dec, and got it changed.  The next day, he fell, she couldn't get him back up, and they had to call an ambulance.  Both ended up in the hospital with Covid.  She was in for 8 days or so but only on oxygen.  He took a heart attack at the same time and ended up being intubated.  

The insurance is arguing paying because they are calling it a pre-existing condition, however they did help out by arranging a medivac home for him.  Due to Covid, she was not allowed to return with him.  She is now (last I heard) stuck in Florida trying to get a negative test to fly home.

The bill for him alone is over $300,000.  She doesn't have her bill last I heard.  Being seniors, that is a hefty chunk out of their savings, and they may have to sell property (either in Canada or US if they own there) to pay for it.

If she had remembered to change the insurance, it may have saved a lot of heartache.  If they had stayed home, their treatments would have been at no costs.

This is one example, but I grew up with several others from people who played "the game" that they would be ok.  I buy insurance for my car, my house, my life.  A trip outside the country falls into the same category.  Not always something you need, but if you do......

• Like 2

Watch out for an alcohol exclusion clause on out-of-country medical insurance. There is find print in some policies that say the insurance is void if ANY alcohol is found your the bloodstream. There was a story out of Australia a couple years ago of couple that was left with hefty medical bills in Switzerland because a gentleman fell down the stairs of the ship, resulting in a serious concussion, but he'd had a couple of drinks with supper - and though he was not visibly inebriated, the company invoked the clause anyway and declined to pay.

When I retired I had a choice of a couple of supplemental insurance plans, both of which covered out-of-country expenses but one of them had an alcohol exclusion clause. I went with the other, even though it was a bit more expensive, because I really want to enjoy (in moderation) the wines and beers on the cruise and don't want a cheapskate insurance company pulling a fast one on me.

Bottom line: Read the fine print. Caveat emptor. Especially if you're not a tea-totaler. 

• Like 1

Wow! With the complimentary alcohol on river cruise ships, I would  expect most people have a glass or two with dinner. 

So this is with standard travel insurance policies like Allianz and Travel Guard? Or on Medicare’s supplemental plans? 

17 hours ago, franski said:

Guess I am lucky... I purchase an annual plan.  I am covered for any number of trips per year - up to 17 days each trip.  Although, I can increase the plan to cover 35 days/trip if necessary.   I just have to be "home" for 24 hours prior to my next trip.  This covers trip cancellation or interruption AND out of country medical.  I would never travel without it!!

As a fellow Canadian,  may I ask who you ha e your plan with?  We used to get the annual plan with CAA, but then changed to CARP.  Now are trying to find the right fit for future travel.  Thanks,

RB 

17 hours ago, franski said:

Fran

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have looked into them several times but never found one.

I think we were referred to her from the AmaWaterways website, but I don't see anythng on their website now that does this.  We had previously used a TA that we got from the Oceania website, but she wasn't a good match.  This one works closely with AMA, especially on their Beer itineraries, and really knows river cruising as well as ocean cruising and land tours – her advice is always valuable.

AMA has beer itineraries? I've seen Avalon's, but can't find any on AMA.....are these charters?

3 hours ago, Ritabob said:

As a fellow Canadian,  may I ask who you ha e your plan with?  We used to get the annual plan with CAA, but then changed to CARP.  Now are trying to find the right fit for future travel.  Thanks,

RB 

Hi - I have a plan through Medoc Insurance...  I was able to get it as I am a retired nurse, and still have friends who are working - so I can access through "Friends of ONA/Healthcare".  They don't offer to everyone - but if you check their website, you may be able to sign up.  Our friends are with them as well --> he retired from Toronto Hydro - another group that can access the plan. 

Good Luck!!  We are pleased with the plan - and the price is very reasonable.  

Fran

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

AMA has beer itineraries? I've seen Avalon's, but can't find any on AMA.....are these charters?

Usually one "Joe Sixpack Beer Cruise" a year, often with killer prices (e.g. 7 days in any available cabin for $3,195 including port charges and gratuities).  Google "Joe Sixpack Enchanting Rhine Cruise" for details.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sbjornda said:

Watch out for an alcohol exclusion clause on out-of-country medical insurance. There is find print in some policies that say the insurance is void if ANY alcohol is found your the bloodstream. There was a story out of Australia a couple years ago of couple that was left with hefty medical bills in Switzerland because a gentleman fell down the stairs of the ship, resulting in a serious concussion, but he'd had a couple of drinks with supper - and though he was not visibly inebriated, the company invoked the clause anyway and declined to pay.

I remember that.

• 2 months later...

Medicare does not cover you out of the US. If you have a supplement to your Medicare, you can purchase one that does have this coverage, which my husband and I have. Not all supplements have this coverage, you need to select one that does. 

I always buy evacuation insurance , and I always use Medjet Assist. It is not medical coverage, it evacuates you from where you are to your home. 

Someone above mentioned Advantage plans, they do not have any international coverage. Why do you think they are free???

17 hours ago, spikemom said:

Someone above mentioned Advantage plans, they do not have any international coverage. Why do you think they are free???

This statement is incorrect. Not all Advantage programs are “free” and many include international coverage.

When health benefits are part of a retirement package, Medicare Advantage plans are usually used. Mine includes international coverage as that of 2 friends - all different employers and retirement benefits.