Possibility of a cruise

Solitarycruiser

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Bottom line: I think people will find ways to socialize, with and without masks on, and will have a good time because we're all so damn eager to be able to resume life and resume travel once it's safe to do so. And cruise companies know that they can't just jail people in their cabins and send them for isolated meals and have it feel like a pleasurable experience, so I'm sure they'll do everything they can to mitigate disease while providing something resembling the cruising experience of the past.

From our northern Philadelphia neighbor, many good points about the ship-board experience are made.  

For us, however, it is first and foremost about the itineraries, port stops, exploring opportunities before and/or after the cruise, etc.  Having a nice on-ship experience is of significant value, BUT, we are most interested to learn much more as to how "THINGS" will work off of the ship when in ports, where these initial, re-start cruises will travel, etc.  Requiring ship excursions is of concern, but not a total deal-breaker, if and if.  Maybe??  Great sharing by all on this thread.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,091 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Well I am getting more optimistic about our February cruise on the Silver Moon next year. 

Indeed we have just been in touch with our TA about a cruise in October 2022 on the Silver Dawn. 

Drron

What do you think of the possibility of the Shadow Mar 2022 Sydney to Sydney taking place ?

Edited by beaujolais
edit

I am reasonably confident that Australians will be able to travel OS by then.Though it is still; a possibility of a period of Quarantine for arrivals into Australia.

Certainly we should have finished vaccinating everyone who wants the vaccine by then and their should be enough evidence of the true effectiveness of the vaccines by then.Already the reports are encouraging but early days.For example this finding from Scotland after the first dose of either the Pfizer or Oxford vaccine.

"The first dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine was associated with a vaccine effect of 85%
(95% confidence interval [CI] 76 to 91) for COVID-19 related hospitalisation at 28-34 days
post-vaccination. Vaccine effect at the same time interval for the ChAdOx1 vaccine was 94%
(95% CI 73 to 99). Results of combined vaccine effect for prevention of COVID-19 related
hospitalisation were comparable when restricting the analysis to those aged ≥80 years (81%;
95% CI 65 to 90 at 28-34 days post-vaccination)."

So I certainly would be hopeful that that March 2022 is going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to hear all the predictions of how and when cruising will restart. Might be interesting to hear for you that Hapag Lloyd and Mein Schiff (two Germain cruise companies) have restarted their operations in August 2020 with four ships and have carried them on until now.

What has changed ? Quite a lot due to restricted international flight operations and closed borders and harbours. All ships sail with max. of 60% capacity and access is limited to German people. The itenaries are limited mostly to one country, so they sail either the North and Baltic Sea (starting from Hamburg/Germany) or the Canary Islands (Spain). All cruises start and end usually at the same place. The only places completely closed are the sauna and buffets. They look at keeping distance in places like restaurants, bars and theatre, but you have to wear masks only when moving in public places. You have to present a negative PCR Covid test before boarding and there will be another round of tests on board the first or second day. Excursions are mostly possible but you have to stay within the group and the regional rules have to followed. All this has worked quite good for the last six months, there have been only two or three minor Covid incidents which were handled very professional. No major outbreaks so far.

On the other hand vaccination in Europe is going slow, much slower than in the US or the UK. This will not be finished before end of autumn. The decisive factor if there will be an international cruise season in Europe and especially in the Mediterrean will be the question if intercontinental flights will be available. I do not see that before the end of 2021.

Based on these experiences as an example what might happen when cruising will restart, I would make the following predictions:

1. Cruising will restart regional. There will be no international cruise season this summer or this autumn. Neither Silversea nor the other lines who depend on American cruisers will send their ships to Europe. Instead of that they might start the Caribbean season earlier. So Americans will stay in America and Europeans in Europe.

2. There will be the usual restrictions similar to what the German lines do already now. I do not think restrictions will be that hard like Fletcher pointed it out.

3. There will be only a few ships and they will not be full.

4. As long as vaccination is not completed there will be a complicated mixture of tests and vaccination pass as condition to come aboard.

5. Any regions outside North America and Europe might be affected even in 2022.

Thanks for sharing Gene & Lucille.  Have y'all got your vaccines?  Am thinking that being fully vaccinated may be a requirement for your December Antarctica/South Georgia Island trip and my November/December Solar Eclipse voyage in same area.

Thanks for sharing Gene & Lucille, now we need Norway and Greenland to open this summer for vaccinated tourists too. We have Tromso to Reykjavik and Reykjavik to Kangerlussaug booked on the Cloud in  this July/August.  If they do not open and SS cancels our Cloud voyages may transfer to the Whisper which is doing a circumnavigation of Iceland in July and August (but much prefer the Expedition voyage vs classic).

So, if you want to book a Silversea cruise that most likely will sail in July and August consider the Whisper Iceland cruises (Iceland is a visually spectacular country)

Before Americans get all excited and rush to book a trip to Iceland, keep in mind Iceland’s vaccination record requirements would exclude virtually all Americans at this point since our CDC vaccination cards do not include nationality or passport number.

Brian, The Points Guy posted this on trips to Iceland, they reached out to Iceland and found out the CDC Covid Vaccine card is acceptable:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/vaccinated-travel-to-iceland/

Visitors can present an official paper or electronic vaccine certificate, and Iceland’s requirements have now been updated to match what’s listed on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) certificate. Iceland removed a previous requirement that a nationality and passport number be listed, which do not appear on the CDC card.

• Thanks 1

Ok, going to make a ressie for that time too.  Lucille's dinner is on me as I earned a dinner for two certificate for Tony Hanks of the SS pax group selecting one of my Cloud So. Georgia photos. btw, am in 616

Edited by WesW

Now that X has formally announced restarting 7-night cruises out of St. Maarten beginning June 5th, bookable on March 25th, and RCI  beginning 7-night cruises out of Nassau on June 12th that will feature calls in the Bahamas and Mexico., maybe SS will do something similar.

Edited by taxatty

1 hour ago, taxatty said:

Now that X has formally announced restarting 7-night cruises out of St. Maarten beginning June 5th, bookable on March 25th, and RCI  beginning 7-night cruises out of Nassau on June 12th that will feature calls in the Bahamas and Mexico., maybe SS will do something similar.

We can hope!!!!!!!!

Charles, Spinnaker2; please understand the Iceland Itinerary as planned (visit to Torshavn/Faroe islands that are under Denmark's rule, need Denmark to open up).

My guess if Denmark does not open up for Western tourists this summer is you will have an overnight in Akureyri to make it a ten day all Iceland cruise.

Etual123 and I are waiting to see if Norway opens up (and for me Greenland too) so we can enjoy a July cruise on the Cloud.

Fingers crossed for us all!

• Thanks 1

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

“Testing does not eliminate all risk,” says CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, MD, “but when combined with a period of staying at home and everyday precautions like wearing masks and social distancing, it can make travel safer, healthier, and more responsible by reducing spread on planes, in airports, and at destinations.”

This order was signed by the CDC Director on January 12, 2021 and will become effective on January 26, 2021.