cruise critic or twitter?

malted muse

59 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL. Do you think you might want to change the word "slowly"?  BTW, I'm almost 74.

No I do not wish to change the world.... people are all different regardless of age....

And I am glad there are enough different cruise lines, to suit all the different people...

Also remember not all that is old is out of date.... there has been renewed interest in film photography and vinyl records....     

One could say the world has moved toward more convenience over quality....

I take my laptop on cruises - getting the time to write for pleasure, processing photos from port stops etc are part of the escape and enjoyment I normally don't have time for.  Plus the last couple of cruises had apps that worked on the ship and were used to arrange meets, events and finding your way round the ship.

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:
On 2/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, malted muse said:

I know this is not 'topic' related but as so many have said about missing cruising I put together a short compilation of ports.  hope that is OK.

https://youtu.be/slYDx03w0UY

Thanks for the video. Lovely to see some places I have visited and some places I hope to visit.

My pleasure. Glad you liked it.  

11 hours ago, clo said:

One is enjoying the moment.....not recording it.... but living it... that is the thing

For some of us recording, noting, creating is part of living the moment, plus doing so creates new opportunities to re-visit those moments in a variety of ways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

One is enjoying the moment.....not recording it.... but living it... that is the thing

Nothing wrong with recording the moment. My grandmother used to travel in Europe way back when -- I think of her as an early Rick Steves -- she'd go on her own or with a friend, traveling by train, staying near rail stations in cheap but adequate hotels and touring on her own. She was also a good writer and kept notes of her trips, some of which I read and probably helped inspire my love of travel. (She also wrote long and newsy letters home. People just don't do that anymore!)

I've taken a page from her book. I used to carry a lined moleskine notebook with me and write down what I saw, what I did, what I ate, what my impressions were. Every evening. You'd be surprised how much you forget when you don't do this. Sure -- you remember the "big ticket" stuff like the Sistine chapel ceiling, but do you recall the thrill of peeking through a barred door into a dark underground room and making out an ancient Roman mithraeum bit by bit?  Or that moment when you were utterly gobsmacked by a single statue of Augustus in the Museo Nazionale in Rome and had to just sit down in front of it for a good long while?  Or the crunch and the taste of your first fried artichokes in a restaurant in the old Jewish ghetto?

When I read those now, it brings back the smells, tastes, crowds (or lack thereof); the surprise discoveries, the irritations that one tends to gloss over in memories. 

Now I travel with a small laptop and use that as my "notebook" but I still try to write down my impressions every evening. It's a wonderful record. When I go back and read about a trip I took 15 years ago, it all comes back to me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Nothing wrong with recording the moment. My grandmother used to travel in Europe way back when -- I think of her as an early Rick Steves -- she'd go on her own or with a friend, traveling by train, staying near rail stations in cheap but adequate hotels and touring on her own. She was also a good writer and kept notes of her trips, some of which I read and probably helped inspire my love of travel. (She also wrote long and newsy letters home. People just don't do that anymore!)

I've taken a page from her book. I used to carry a lined moleskine notebook with me and write down what I saw, what I did, what I ate, what my impressions were. Every evening. You'd be surprised how much you forget when you don't do this. Sure -- you remember the "big ticket" stuff like the Sistine chapel ceiling, but do you recall the thrill of peeking through a barred door into a dark underground room and making out an ancient Roman mithraeum bit by bit?  Or that moment when you were utterly gobsmacked by a single statue of Augustus in the Museo Nazionale in Rome and had to just sit down in front of it for a good long while?  Or the crunch and the taste of your first fried artichokes in a restaurant in the old Jewish ghetto?

When I read those now, it brings back the smells, tastes, crowds (or lack thereof); the surprise discoveries, the irritations that one tends to gloss over in memories. 

Now I travel with a small laptop and use that as my "notebook" but I still try to write down my impressions every evening. It's a wonderful record. When I go back and read about a trip I took 15 years ago, it all comes back to me. 

You explained this very well.  I similarly document my angling experiences and support them with photos (I guess images is the correct term).      I have not done that with any of our cruise related travels, but Mrs Ldubs keeps a kind of digital chronicle of our travels.  Additionally, I've enjoyed reading some very well written reviews here on the forums.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

totally agree. My parents never travelled but my wife's family did.  One of the things we often do is try to visit the places they wrote about. Great joy.

16 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

One of the best things about cruising is being unplugged...

don't take a computer.. Phone goes in the safe  ( not a smart phone ) 

and rarely wear a watch

Enjoy  where you are.... and whom you are with.... what more do you need.....

( maybe a nice glass of wine would be good too )

Don..... one day  will be back on high seas....

Exactly!  That is my idea as well.  I actually like those resorts that don't have phone/internet services except in emergencies.

16 hours ago, clo said:

It's clear that you don't understand that no "sitting in front of screen" is required.

Are you a beta tester for Elon Musk's Nueralink company? 🙂

https://neuralink.com/

16 hours ago, clo said:

So you don't ever read, watch tv, etc.? Okey-dokey.

I watch TV (if streaming counts as TV) at home when I am at home.  On a cruise ship never.  I do enjoy reading a traditional fiction book at the pool during my vacations.

54 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Exactly!  That is my idea as well.  I actually like those resorts that don't have phone/internet services except in emergencies.

I watch TV (if streaming counts as TV) at home when I am at home.  On a cruise ship never.  I do enjoy reading a traditional fiction book at the pool during my vacations.

When we return to a ship or hotel we generally have some down time so yes I'll 'process' some photos, maybe send out some. I'm not one who takes 1200 photos on a trip so it's not a lengthy process 🙂

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

so basically some people like it one way and others like it in different ways.  I think that cruise ships are big enough for us to do it how we like - as long as we aren't hurting anyone.  This is one of the great things about travelling and meeting people from all over - variety.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, malted muse said:

so basically some people like it one way and others like it in different ways.  I think that cruise ships are big enough for us to do it how we like - as long as we aren't hurting anyone.  This is one of the great things about travelling and meeting people from all over - variety.  

Well, exactly. I'm a morning person and by around 3PM I'm more than ready for some 'quiet time.'

I think it is also worth remembering that people go on cruises for different reasons.

I rejected going on cruises for years as I thought they sounded awful, despite spending a childhood outside of Southampton where I could watch the cruise liners leave for the big wide world.

My first cruise was a Transatlantic and I chose to do it because I was writing a book at the time.  It was a book about the Seven Sisters of Moscow and their related buildings within the old soviet block.  It was also about how I had discovered, responded to and the experience of visiting them etc.  As these buildings were inspired by the Municipal building in New York I decided to go there, and, as the book was also including my own life, I decided to 'give in' and do it by ship.

It was a real eye opener and I have loved cruising ever since.

We are still in regular contact with people from that cruise and was surprised to meet people who had property/homes in the USA who were using it as a way to get home.

I have since finished that book and written another.  The second is an art book of photographs from around the world with a twist. The twist being that none of the photographs are taken directly but are all photographs of reflections in various forms.  I wanted to explore the 'travel photograph' and develop the art form whilst also looking at how reflections affect and are affected.  This was mainly done on, and includes, cruises. I have included 2 of the most obvious examples.

The point being - there is a wide variety of reasons people cruise and ways of enjoying, enhancing, relaxing, exploring etc

DB4DCC96-F155-49C3-9DDF-C8FA1E32EE06.thumb.jpeg.9a980614877c78bbb3e0498f394efa85.jpeg94CE21B8-678C-4C7F-B9DC-AB3414CB0AF4.thumb.jpeg.10f8ea89f2ff0c048871409db4cb6045.jpeg