Balcony vs Premium Balcony

MSPCUBS

I am aware of the different categories and types...  I am the one who posted above with specific information to clear up any confusion.

It would appear, from the cabin he posted that he had, and the cabin he now has, that BOTH are on deck 10 and should be 'premium' balcony cabins.

I do not think I have heard or seen the bidding process offer an upgrade within the exact same category.   ( premium balcony to premium balcony) He probably paid MORE for that very slight location upgrade than it would have cost him to book that mid-aft location.

Something just seems 'off'????

Again, Tony,  whatever your exact category...  you can look at availability and do a quick 'even' move to a cabin that might have a better location.  

Sometimes that is helpful when bidding, and one is assigned, for example.. a cabin that might have a noise issue... prefer mid-FWD to mid-AFT, etc...

Edited by Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am aware of the different categories and types...  I am the one who posted above with specific information to clear up any confusion.

It would appear, from the cabin he posted that he had, and the cabin he now has, that BOTH are on deck 10 and should be 'premium' balcony cabins.

I do not think I have heard or seen the bidding process offer an upgrade within the exact same category.   ( premium balcony to premium balcony) He probably paid MORE for that very slight location upgrade than it would have cost him to book that mid-aft location.

Again, Tony,  whatever your exact category...  you can look at availability and do a quick 'even' move to a cabin that might have a better location.  

Sometimes that is helpful when bidding, and one is assigned, for example.. a cabin that might have a noise issue... prefer mid-FWD to mid-AFT, etc...

On the Crown (and other Grand Class ships) the Balcony Cabins on Caribe deck that are "Forward" or "Aft" (side facing) are all standard balcony cabins (BE or BD).  The "Mid Aft" and "Mid Forward" are Premium Balcony (B2) cabins, and the "Midship" staterooms are Premium Balcony (B1) cabins.

"trbarton" moved from a BD Balcony to a B2 Premium Balcony (both on Caribe deck).

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, trbarton said:

I paid $200 in bidding on the Emerald  Princess. not realizing that my bid was only for a different location, not an upgraded stateroom with a Love Seat. I just spent $200 for nothing. 

This is a good discussion so the terms are explained. 

Tom😀

Surprised with your experience on Princess not recognizing Bx is regular Balcony category and Dx is the Deluxe.  Princess uses Premium for mid-ship, aft, and large balconies like Caribe deck on pre-Royal class.

Abercrombie, wow, now I see!!!!

That does show how confusing these Princess categories can be.

I had thought/assumed that all of those larger balconies on Caribe, would be 'premium', just a slightly cheaper location.  (been awhile since I have been on that class ship, the Ruby)

I can def. see how Tony might have been confused.

• Like 1

It’s a shame that Princess seems to be the only main stream line that lacks anyplace to sit in their balcony rooms other than a small desk chair or the bed. They even removed the barrel chair from their balcony rooms. We recently got off Emerald & said that was our last sailing on other than Royal class ships in a deluxe balcony.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Aft balconies and forward balconies on Caribe along the sides are not Premium Balcony cabins (although aft facing generally are). They're standard balcony category, ie not Premium. Which makes them amongst the best bargains aboard, particularly mid aft or mid forward.  

The guest on Emerald didn't bid and move from Premium to Premium, they moved from standard /lower category balcony cabin to Premium. .

• 7 months later...

On the Ruby on Deck 10, Caribbean deck, the balconies are always bigger than on other decks. So what makes a Premium balcony, other than the location, any different?  

Tom🤔

2 minutes ago, trbarton said:

On the Ruby on Deck 10, Caribbean deck, the balconies are always bigger than on other decks. So what makes a Premium balcony, other than the location, any different?  

Tom🤔

Nothing.  Location is it.

On the Ruby, yes, those cabins and balconies are the same.

So, in this case, yes the Forward or Aft location might be one factor.

This is not always the case.   I consider the larger balconies that are not priced higher as Premium as luck...  a small gift.

On the newer Royal Class ships, the larger/deeper balconies located on Deck 9 ARE Forward and Aft, and these are a 'Premium' category.  (so no consistency here)

In most every case the Premium Balcony/Deluxe Balcony will be considered 'Premium' because it does have a larger exterior balcony.

There are always exceptions.

The Aft Wake-view cabins do not ALL have a considerably bigger balcony, but in that case they seem to be sold as Premium because of that location that is popular and in demand.