Pay now, or wait?

We are sailing in September 2021. Final payment is due in June.

Because the EUR/USD  exchange rate is positive for us now I am thinking of paying in full now, rather than in June.

Of course there is still a big chance that the cruise will be cancelled due to Covid.

I was just wondering, with respect to a cancelled cruise, does it matter if I pay now, or later?

3 minutes ago, Marga.Anders said:

I was just wondering, with respect to a cancelled cruise, does it matter if I pay now, or later?

No, and since you are gambling that the exchange rates may get worse, you might as well pay it off now.

Biker, who sees the above as one of the exceptions of paying off a cruise early.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

Because the EUR/USD  exchange rate is positive for us now I am thinking of paying in full now, rather than in June.

Of course there is still a big chance that the cruise will be cancelled due to Covid.

I think you should wait till final payment date for two reasons--

1) Cruise may get cancelled and your money is blocked

2) The Euro 💶 is expected to appreciate even more against the dollar because the US government has dumped 3 trillion dollars into the system.

6 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

If cancelled by RCI you get 125% fcc on the sum you’ve paid. So if you’ve paid more than just the deposit, you’ll get more back. 

The £$ is also very favourable at the moment. 

8 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

I'm wondering if my cruise out of Amsterdam British Isles July 30, 2021 will sail and if those of us from the US will even be able to enter your country?

Thanks, off your topic but thought you might be one to offer your opinion on this.

Of course I don't know for sure but I think July will be fine. Vaccination is going allright and the news we are getting is that we should have some version of the new normal around the beginning of summer. 

Borders are not completely closed now but hardly any flights. Hotels are open but not restaurants or stores. Face masks are mandatory in public buildings and supermarkets. 

From what I know a negative Covid19 test is mandatory to enter the country as is a quarantine. 

All covid related government info is here: https://coronadashboard.government.nl/

This is not a site meant for tourists. Just national public health and safety. 

The website for tourists is here: https://www.government.nl/topics/c/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad

Should you need any more information don't hesitate to ask. Just send me a PM. 

Edited by Marga.Anders
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Marga, for the information. I have a cruise out of Copenhagen on June 17th (flying into Amsterdam first). Final payment is March 17th, and I am not confident about paying the balance with so much up in the air - including our flights. Popular opinion is that we will not cruise, but I feel like positivity rates are on the decline,  and there is a small chance we could cruise if we can get into Europe. If so, we could be some of the first to restart, and maybe at half capacity on the ship. I will continue to be patient and hope for the best! It's still February, so there is time!