Is Sky Princess just as good as Regal Princess?

Traderboy

We were on the Baltic cruise on Regal on 4th September which has now been cancelled.

We are  thinking of doing the 2022 version on Sky Princess, starting on September 3rd.

Are these two ships equivalent or is Sky Princess better?

What are the S5 suites like?

Been on both ships many days & prefer most of the changes made to the Sky. The previous Crooners Bar location in the Piazza is now a French Bistro. To replace it there’s live Jazz themed entertainment Take Five bar which is much better than Club 6 on Regal.

Other things we preferred on the Sky:

• Princess Live is a lounge area instead of a TV studio on Regal
  • Lido deck pizza & grill on the Sky (Slice & Salty Dog) have expanded menus
  • Aft decks are open like on other classes of Princess ships
  • Prefer the lighter decor & lighting in public areas & cabins
  • Larger balconies fore & aft on Dolphin & Emerald decks
  • Pools: Two full size Lido pools instead of one & a splash pool on Regal; additional hot tubs replacing dancing waters; larger aft shallow pool

image.thumb.jpeg.4a5152b7d473ea8b3958cea9e38b2d3d.jpegimage.thumb.png.6ac2b6e7cdb14ecf4ac0f64c6c3bc21d.png

C57ADE6A-E028-4C7F-A502-E8FBA2A95DA4.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Depends on your definition of better.  We prefer the Royal/Regal to the Sky simply for the retreat pool area.

As I wrote, most things were better for us but not the changes to the Retreat Pool area.

Don’t know if that was due to the large Sky Suites that were added. Another Sky plus for us are the 6 outside category cabins facing forward on Sun deck.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

I agree with Astro. We've had the pleasure of being on the Regal many times and just loved it. However we found the Sky Princess to be even better, if that's possible, during our 3 weeks on her in 2020. Love, love, the new Princess Live. Take Five is a perfect replacement for Crooners and even the Crown Grill Bar has an element of Crooners about it with the live music. The Royal and Regal have beautiful decor and some of the most unique and beautiful chairs of any of the Princess ships, however I found the deco on the Sky to be even more lovely. The detailed tile work and glass art make the Sky Princess stand out from her sisters. We found the production shows Rock Opera and 5Skies to be the best we've ever seen. The production and talent was out of this world. You can't sing the praises of the Sky Princess without mentioning her one of a kind Captain Tuvo or better known as Capt. Bye Bye. He is a ray of sunshine everywhere he goes. And Capt. Laakkonen was amazing to have as captain when operations were ceased last March. He kept passengers and crew well informed and was a calming leader before he returned us safe and healthy to a world in distress.

We are booked on the Sky Princess in December and hope very much to sail on her then. We also are heading to the Enchanted, Majestic and Discovery in 2022, all in the same Lido cabin. We have become a fan of the Royal class ships.

• Like 6

We enjoyed our cruise on the Sky and appreciated the differences between her and the Royal/Regal ships. Liked the Retreat area on the Regal better than the Sky. Easy access to the pool from the Sanctuary if you want to swim and the pool has a stair entry. 

I like the Sky decor and the new Princess Live area.The aft pool is shallow but larger than the aft pool on Regal.

Each ship has its own personality and I can't wait to get on either one of them. Going for vaccine number 2 an hour from now. Hopefully we can all plan a cruise "soon".🙂

• Like 2

Haven't been on the Sky yet but friends have and stayed in a S5 suite.  From their pictures it is identical to the Regal except for the color scheme.  My favorite suites on the Royal class ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mom33 said:

Each ship has its own personality and I can't wait to get on either one of them.

Me too & have enjoyed all types of ships including months on the Royal, Regal & Sky. 😊

When promoting the Royal Princess (first Royal-class ship) they said it was evolutionary but not revolutionary which has been true for us so it’s easy to navigate around these ships.

We thought we’d never sail on the Asian modified Majestic Princess due to more gambling & high-end shopping venues that replaced other places. However with the ship coming to the West Coast we’re looking forward to sailing her on our Fall 2021 cruise from LA. Although we’re disappointed that we had to cancel our other B2B cruise but are cautiously optimistic to sail our 7-day cruise. Hoping that Discovery arrives in LA on 3/1/22 for our B2B cruises later that month.

For us the Royal-class ships provide many more pros than cons but understand why others think differently. It’s impossible to have a perfect ship for everyone however Royal-class ships provide our best cruise experience for the cruise fare paid. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Astro what is the location shown the third picture in your post ?

If you click on the image you might see that it’s Take Five the Jazz-themed location that replaced Club 6.

Edited by Astro Flyer

11 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

Some have mentioned that the aft pool on Sky is shallower than Regal.  How shallow?  Is it simply a wading pool or can you swim in it?

We have not yet been on Sky but have a November booking for her.

Don

Based on this actual photo would guesstimate it’s about knee high...2’ to 3’? 🤔

15B3AE35-D303-4C9B-85F9-F074FC8469C7.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on this actual photo would guesstimate it’s about knee high...2’ to 3’? 🤔

15B3AE35-D303-4C9B-85F9-F074FC8469C7.jpeg

The pool is around 3-4 ft. deep. It is just a nice cooling spot,.not really a swimming spot🙃.

1 minute ago, Mom33 said:

The pool is around 3-4 ft. deep. It is just a nice cooling spot,.not really a swimming spot🙃.

Thanks...do you know if it's deeper than the Lido deck splash pools on other classes of ships? We almost never use onboard pools but realize they're essential to other passengers.

8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks...do you know if it's deeper than the Lido deck splash pools on other classes of ships? We almost never use onboard pools but realize they're essential to other passengers.

When I stood in the Lido deck splash pool on the Royal, the water was knee deep. In the Sky aft pool it was waist deep to mid chest deep.I am 5ft. 4.

• Thanks 1

thanks - sounds like you can get wet and lie down in it, but maybe not truly swim.  Better than simply a wading pool though.

I am one of those who likes the pools and hot tubs on board.  Especially in the warm Caribbean evenings when everyone else is down on the lower decks.

Don

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mom33 said:

Yes, I dug out my Sky Princess pool depth pictures from the Med Inaugural and these are the stated depths:

Wake View Pool

3ft 6in 1.07m higher
2ft 7in 0.8m lower

wakeviewdepth.thumb.jpg.ef2bc0758d952901cbb6c1a00b730327.jpg

Retreat Pool
3ft 3in 0.98m higher
1ft 8in 0.5m lower

retreatpooldepth.thumb.jpg.d7d44fbb16e70d0ffbc9ab1189672b3b.jpg

Lido Deck Pools

5ft 1.50m higher
3ft 2in 1.00m lower

lidodeck1depth.thumb.jpg.49437bd80c1a7b1be49d14f02d11727f.jpg

6ft 6" 2.00m higher
5ft 1.50m lower

lidodeck2depth.thumb.jpg.a18641bc6f825af8fbbc82fd941f659c.jpg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, dides said:

Yes, I dug out my Sky Princess pool depth pictures from the Med Inaugural and these are the stated depths:

Wake View Pool

3ft 6in 1.07m higher
2ft 7in 0.8m lower

wakeviewdepth.thumb.jpg.ef2bc0758d952901cbb6c1a00b730327.jpg

Retreat Pool
3ft 3in 0.98m higher
1ft 8in 0.5m lower

retreatpooldepth.thumb.jpg.d7d44fbb16e70d0ffbc9ab1189672b3b.jpg

Lido Deck Pools

5ft 1.50m higher
3ft 2in 1.00m lower

lidodeck1depth.thumb.jpg.49437bd80c1a7b1be49d14f02d11727f.jpg