The Daily for Wednesday Mar 10, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

I have to share wonderful news!   Got our shots this afternoon,  I didn’t want to jinx it until it was all done.   Felt like I won the lottery!   

Really good news Brenda.

So happy for you 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

Happy that DS, a first responder, got his first shot. Second shot booked for  mid June!

So glad to hear that the first responders are getting vaccines!  Wonderful news 👍 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow. Allen had 12 under stitches and 9 staples on top. 

We are going through this right now with my DH.  It seems like he has stitches everywhere on his face.    I really feel sorry for him.  Nobody wants their face messed with.   I know he's sad about it and that certainly makes me sad, too.

It's strange how some skin is so susceptible to skin cancer.  I am fair-skinned and did a lot of sun-bathing, but have never had any problems.  My Chris has had repeated issues with his skin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We have been doing plus 75,  next week over 65 is eligible but unbelievable luck that we were told some pharmacies had extra vaccine appointments so we called yesterday and got an appointment today.  I actually couldn’t believe it,  was so excited when I really got the shot!  

@rafinmd it was Pfizer,  so my doctor and I are pleased.  

That’s wonderful! Even though it’s a different province, getting reports of our fellow Canadians getting their shots is so encouraging!

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The baby was delivered, but was not expected to last the night. The maternity nurse on duty was a devout French Canadian Catholic who tended the dying baby in the hospital nursery through the night. Knowing she would not see the baby she had fought so hard for again, and wanting the child’s soul to be with God, she baptized her with the name Marie before leaving at the end of her shift.
When the nurse came on duty the next evening, she was thrilled that the baby was alive and improving. However, she was horrified that the bracelet on her wrist said ‘Marie Sargent’. She told my parents what had happened, and apologized profusely. My parents were deeply moved, and kept the name. Their GP told them that based on the blood results, the newborn was barely hanging on and wouldn’t survive the week. At the end of the week, he warned them that the baby would not survive the first year. After a year, he cautioned them that their fragile toddler would not live to beyond six at the oldest. 

Sixty two years later, I have survived the doctor who so firmly predicted my demise by several decades. The name I was registered under was Laura Marie in appreciation of the maternity nurse who kept me alive that first night to go on and prove the doctors wrong.

What a touching story and truly a miracle. You definitely defied the odds and thank God for that nurse. And what an honor your parents gave her to keep Marie as your middle name. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good afternoon, all! I’m really late to the party today. We were up early and out for the day.

I love split pea soup, but it’s not on the menu for today.

A Middle Name Pride Day story from my family history: 

My mother had an Rh negative blood factor that claimed the lives of her 3rd and 4th babies. When she discovered she was expecting again, which she had been told couldn't happen, the doctors intervened. They induced labour over a month early in a Hail Mary intervention. The baby was delivered, but was not expected to last the night. The maternity nurse on duty was a devout French Canadian Catholic who tended the dying baby in the hospital nursery through the night. Knowing she would not see the baby she had fought so hard for again, and wanting the child’s soul to be with God, she baptized her with the name Marie before leaving at the end of her shift.
When the nurse came on duty the next evening, she was thrilled that the baby was alive and improving. However, she was horrified that the bracelet on her wrist said ‘Marie Sargent’. She told my parents what had happened, and apologized profusely. My parents were deeply moved, and kept the name. Their GP told them that based on the blood results, the newborn was barely hanging on and wouldn’t survive the week. At the end of the week, he warned them that the baby would not survive the first year. After a year, he cautioned them that their fragile toddler would not live to beyond six at the oldest. 

Sixty two years later, I have survived the doctor who so firmly predicted my demise by several decades. The name I was registered under was Laura Marie in appreciation of the maternity nurse who kept me alive that first night to go on and prove the doctors wrong.

With that, Happy Wednesday, and may we all be at sea again before we know it!

94D9674F-171D-48C0-8082-F30047F5FE39.thumb.jpeg.bddcc861ce20d81ee9c2645ec65785af.jpeg

What a wonderful story.  Miracles do happen.  

I know.  I too was one of them.  I was very premature because of toxaemia (not sure if that is the right term or not?) born 2+months too early long ago before they had all the stuff they do now, like you.

My odds were slim to none.  One month later my mother was allowed to bring me home and could literally covered me in a wash cloth.  There aren’t many clothes that fit a baby that weighs 3 pounds (I was 2 pounds when I was born).

My parents were also warned my odds were slim and I would not survive.  Thankfully we had a doctor who made house calls and I had a dedicated mother and I too, am here to tell the tale.

Sometimes there’s more than science involved in healing people.  We were both very lucky to be loved ❤️ 

• Like 23

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We named our daughter Gayle Anne and I did it on purpose because her first name ended with an “e”.  I always think of Anne of Green Gables, Anne with an e. 

My youngest daughter is named Anne. I think early on she thought it WAS Anne with an E. How many times I have said that over the years. And yes she was named after Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorite books growing up. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 11

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I hope his procedure went well. I had my consult and was surprised to hear the surgeon wants to let the wound heal with no stitches. That sounds fine to me. No date till I hear tomorrow. Probably not till April. This will be the third time for my poor nose. No more sun for me.

For future reference you might want to have a chat with your dermatologist about Aldara. It is effective with about 75-80% of the population. I’m happy to be one of them.

I’ve had basal cell removed more times than I can remember, and MOHS 3 times in very close to the same spot, annually  ( even though they got good margins each time). The surgeon just used the same incision line over again, making it a bit longer. It’s hardly noticeable. The last MOHS was followed by Aldara treatment- 8 years ago. So far, so good. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know.  I too was one of them.  I was very premature because of toxaemia (not sure if that is the right term or not?) born 2+months too early long ago before they had all the stuff they do now, like you.

My odds were slim to none.  One month later my mother was allowed to bring me home and could literally covered me in a wash cloth.  There aren’t many clothes that fit a baby that weighs 3 pounds (I was 2 pounds when I was born).

My parents were also warned my odds were slim and I would not survive.  Thankfully we had a doctor who made house calls and I had a dedicated mother and I too, am here to tell the tale.

Sometimes there’s more than science involved in healing people.  We were both very lucky to be loved ❤️ 

Jacqui, how wonderful that you proved them wrong!  I will toast you & Laura tonight, too!

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

Two amazing stories!   A will to live and lots of support and love!  I had Toxemia  and so my daughter had to be delivered early, she’s only 1/4 inch shy of six feet!  

• Like 11

Just now, bennybear said:

Two amazing stories!   A will to live and lots of support and love!  I had Toxemia  and so my daughter had to be delivered early, she’s only 1/4 inch shy of six feet!  

Good for you and her. Bless you for caring for her - I know there can be a struggle ♥️ 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

For future reference you might want to have a chat with your dermatologist about Aldara. It is effective with about 75-80% of the population. I’m happy to be one of them.

I’ve had basal cell removed more times than I can remember, and MOHS 3 times in very close to the same spot, annually  ( even though they got good margins each time). The surgeon just used the same incision line over again, making it a bit longer. It’s hardly noticeable. The last MOHS was followed by Aldara treatment- 8 years ago. So far, so good. 

I told my DH your experience as he is considering this after three Mohs surgeries for Basal cell, squamous  and a more major surgery for melanoma.   Really appreciate you sharing your experience!  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Jacqui!  Oh my, another miracle baby!  Thank God for your Mother and doctor!

• Like 8

Rafinmd - Brockville is known as a retirement city, but I understand why your cousin and her DH would retire to BC. Much nicer winter weather.  The tunnel is interesting.  A much needed tourist site for the city. We lived in Wilmington DE for a couple of years and enjoyed visiting areas of Maryland.

• Like 5

I’m only on page 2, but this is one of my favorite Dailies!!

I missed the Riesling on February 13 (DH b’day, very busy!), and I really like the 2 mentioned.

LOVE bagpipes, I must have been Scottish in a previous life.

We were on a Scenic River Cruise a few year ago on the Seine, Paris - Honfleur - Paris.  An absolutely wonderful trip!  Our day in Rouen was so much fun - we spent a few hours with a French pastry chef learning the proper way to make macaroons.  Later, when we walked through the cathedral, we were able to see all the bells.  They had them down in the sanctuary to be cleaned.  A terrific day on a spectacular vacation!

My middle name is what I go by, although not by my preference.  I much preferred my first name (Laura), but by the time I was old enough to have an opinion, Robin was firmly established and unchangeable.  C’est la vie.  I survived.

For all of you who are ill or concerned for others, my heart is with you.  

Thanks to everyone for this great place!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Miracles do happen.  

Truer words were never spoken. I’m glad you’re here, Jacqui!❤️

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 9

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies.

I started reading the daily early this am and only just got back to it now.

Love bagpipes and had a bagpiper play at our wedding.

I have my mom's middle name but not sure where she got it.

Agree with Kazu about staying in Rouen rather than going to Paris on a cruise stop.  Rouen was beautiful and there is plenty to keep you busy.

Superoma - great news on the pathology results.  I went through this last year with radiation for 3 weeks and 4 days.  Am now on one of the aromatase inhibitors. 

Prayers to all on the care list and others who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 9