Free Cruise!

Bruin Steve

So, hoping to be cruising once again by late October, I just booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Majestic Princess...My deal is for a balcony cabin, 7 night cruise...with all of the currently advertised perks--drinks, gratuities, specialty dining night, WiFi, etc.

I took a look at my booking to see how they accounted for all of those perks...and found an itemized accounting--attributing what Princess considers the per person price for each of those perks:  

Wi-Fi Package   $69.79    
Premier Beverage Package With Tips   $479.57    
Full Onboard Gratuities Included   $101.50    
Specialty Dining Promotion   $29.00    

So, the per person perk package is valued at $679.86...or, for two,  $1359.72.  Also, for my cruise, the port taxes and fees are $145 pp...so, add another $290 to that total and it's $1649.72...Plus, booking it through my travel agent, they also give me $50 in OBC...So, prior to accounting for the cruise fare itself, all of these extras total $1699.72....

Of course, I am in a balcony cabin, so, I am paying more than that...but not by much...the excess is only $644.28...

Then I thought "if MY cruise costs that little, how about those much cheaper inside cabins?  They are offering all of those perks for every category."

Well, the price for an inside cabin on the December 4 sailing with all of the promos and port taxes and fees comes to a TOTAL of $1698!!!  So, assuming those perks are really worth $1699.72, Princess is paying YOU $172 to take the cruise!!!  IT'S A FREE CRUISE!!!

Of course, the truth is that I would NOT pay full freight on all of those perks.  The drink package really doesn't break even until you get to about 7 drinks per day...which, without the package I probably never get close to--and I know my wife won't.  I usually pass on Wifi--because my Captain's Circle status gets me enough free WiFi minutes to check my email all I want...and I can also pass on the specialty restaurant if I want.  And I never separate the costs in my mind...I'm still paying all of that money no matter how they account for it...

HOWEVER, if you follow the accounting, you are, basically, buying the perks--and the cruise itself is FREE!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Bruin Steve, interesting way to figure the cost of the cruise or perks. The bottom line, we're paying for one or the other no matter how you look at it. :classic_smile: What date did you book on the Majestic Princess for the Mexican Riviera? We are booked on Oct. 16th. We have a roll call going for the cruise, come join us if it's the same date on the Majestic. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

1 hour ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Bruin Steve, interesting way to figure the cost of the cruise or perks. The bottom line, we're paying for one or the other no matter how you look at it. :classic_smile: What date did you book on the Majestic Princess for the Mexican Riviera? We are booked on Oct. 16th. We have a roll call going for the cruise, come join us if it's the same date on the Majestic. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

It's not me figuring out the costs...that's how PRINCESS accounts for it all in the cruise documentation...it's what they would be charging for those perks at full price if they weren't packaging them into the marketing deal...

We are on the October 30 sailing...To fit it around my UCLA Football schedule, it was that one or August 14...and, since I'm still hoping we can go to Europe in July, the Halloween dates spread it out a little more...And, if we're not cruising by Summer, I figured the later the better... Plus, later in the year is a little better in terms of Typhoon Season in Puerto Vallarta...

Bruin Steve, 

are you more optimistic about the bruin football team win/ loss record for the 2021 season or the start of return to cruise season this year? there may be a few games in there you might want to miss! You know some had to say IT! anyway I am keepin the faith for both UCLA football and returning to cruising! enjoyed your break down.

9 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

Bruin Steve, 

are you more optimistic about the bruin football team win/ loss record for the 2021 season or the start of return to cruise season this year? there may be a few games in there you might want to miss! You know some had to say IT! anyway I am keepin the faith for both UCLA football and returning to cruising! enjoyed your break down.

I root for three college football teams:

UCLA

Notre Dame

USC's opponent

Twice each season, I only need to root for two teams. 

To keep it on topic: I'm looking forward to cruises out of San Pedro, too. 

I am actually quite optimistic about the Bruin Football team...

You have to realize that last season, as crazy as it was, we actually outscored our opponents 248-215?  Lost four games, three of them on the road, all four by seven points or less, one in OT?  We return everybody except a tailback and a DE...including a three year starting QB whose numbers have steadily and rapidly improved each year...from a 122.3 to 134.9 to 156.3 QB rating, from 57.7 to 59.7 to 65.2 completion percentage...and we finally have depth and experience on the OL?

I'm not saying this is a championship caliber team, but there IS reason to be optimistic.  Just win 2 of the 3 nonconference games we didn't have last year (all three are at home) and flip three of the four close losses and split the two extra conference games we didn't play last year...and it's a 9-3 season...give or take a couple of games either way and it's still a positive over recent years.  Remember, we'll be one of few team in the conference returning a veteran QB...

• Like 3

The reality is right now Princess charges $40.00 a day additional per day across the fleet (all itineraries) for the "best sale ever" perks. So of course the real cost of any cruise is multiply $40 X number of days, subtract that from your cruise total, and THAT is the cost of the cruise itself.

Further , if you deduct the compulsory gratuities of appox $15.00 per day from the $40.00, the remaining perks only have a value of $25.00, and again further if then deduct the apox $10.00 a day value of the WiFi package, your unlimited drinks come out to a meager $15.00 a day... Now $15.00 per day is the  bargain of the century for unlimited anything on a cruise ship, even if you're not a big or even a small drinker 🤪

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, srpilo said:

The reality is right now Princess charges $40.00 a day additional per day across the fleet (all itineraries) for the "best sale ever" perks. So of course the real cost of any cruise is multiply $40 X number of days, subtract that from your cruise total, and THAT is the cost of the cruise itself.

Further , if you deduct the compulsory gratuities of appox $15.00 per day from the $40.00, the remaining perks only have a value of $25.00, and again further if then deduct the apox $10.00 a day value of the WiFi package, your unlimited drinks come out to a meager $15.00 a day... Now $15.00 per day is the  bargain of the century for unlimited anything on a cruise ship, even if you're not a big or even a small drinker 🤪

Maybe you didn't quite get my (somewhat rather tongue in cheek) point...

We all know how Princess is MARKETING this:  They are offering two prices on every booking--one with the perks, one without...and, yes, they are $40 per day pp apart...

But the marketing is "See what a great deal we are offering you--for a limited time only--$122 worth of perks for only $40!!!" ...So, when you actually read your cruise documents, they CLEARLY lay out the "full price" of every perk...because they WANT to emphasize the deal you are getting...and they want to encourage you to BOOK NOW--before they take away that deal.

Obviously, absent the "deal", those perks WOULD cost you $122 per person per day, NOT $40.  They'd laugh at you if you offered THEM $15 for a drink package...

When we actually make the decision to book, to take the deal or not, of course we only consider the $40 premium...

For me, I look at the $40 and take away the value of the gratuities--which I am paying either way...leaving me with $25.  And, FOR ME, I completely discount the WiFi...Because I get enough FREE WiFi minutes with my Captain's Circle standing...

So, really, for me, I am paying $50 per night for drinks--basically, prepaying for six "well" drinks per night between my wife and I...and figuring, they "throw in" extra WiFi if I really need that much--which I usually don't--and a night in a specialty restaurant--which I can take or leave--a $29 pp value which is no big deal because I get fed anyway. (and they are throwing in any excess drinks above three a night that I really don't need and may not get to).

Since I likely drink the three drinks, sure, it makes sense.  If we were nondrinkers or underaged, it wouldn't.

Is it REALLY "The greatest deal ever"--which is how they are billing it?  Naaah...It's a good deal for most...of course, the real costs are probably just hidden in higher overall prices...and they don't mind serving up a few extra drinks to those drinking enough to "get their money's worth".  Those drinks really only cost Princess pennies on the dollar--and our prepaying for six of them pretty much guaranties their drinks profit.

But, I'm pretty logical about "deals"...

To the person who would have bought the full price drink package, the wifi and the specialty restaurant...and would have done that even at "full price", this IS a "free cruise"...

Edited by Bruin Steve

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

To the person who would have bought the full price drink package, the wifi and the specialty restaurant...and would have done that even at "full price", this IS a "free cruise"...

While I appreciate the different way of looking at it, none of my cruises are “free” if I pretended I was paying for all the perks. If I take that value, and subtract it, my cruises are grossly discounted, but not free. Plus, some of the perks are not things I would pay for. However For for the extra $40 per day, that is a steal!  I like the promotion, but current prices today are still more than when I originally booked. Maybe my timing was just lucky, but we usually book early and watch for discounts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, srpilo said:

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

But the marketing is "See what a great deal we are offering you--for a limited time only--$122 worth of perks for only $40!!!"

Princess Plus is the current "permanent" promotion that includes the gratuities, Internet, and beverage package. This costs $40/day/person over the Princess Saver's rate.

Bet Sale Ever adds to both Princess Saver's and Princess Plus a free specialty dinner and for most categories a free cabin upgrade. Since these two perks are available no matter which price you book (Saver's or Plus), that is the sale.

The $40/day/person for gratuities, Internet and beverage package is not part of the sale but is a current option that existed before the BSE and will still exist when the BSE ends.

We agree on the Best Ever cost analysis

In January we surfed the cost for 2021 fall transatlantics. We were surprised to find the 15-day Sky Princess tropical passage cruise priced the same for Best Price and Best Sale Ever. Don't know if it was a glitch or a local promotion but no one else managed to see the same pricing. We had our travel agent book it for us even though we get the elite perks. With the perks for free plus $100 OBC each we decided to book a mini-suite for the first time. Yes the perks were included for free!!! 

On top of that the price dropped twice through the week lowering the cost by C$600 each. We booked our flight and found an additional promotion that reduced the air fare by $400 each so we booked premium economy to UK.

The web site has since been corrected.

This is all too good to be true. We are praying that everyone gets vaccinated and the cruise proceeds as scheduled. 

On 3/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, caribill said:

Princess Plus is the current "permanent" promotion that includes the gratuities, Internet, and beverage package. This costs $40/day/person over the Princess Saver's rate.

Bet Sale Ever adds to both Princess Saver's and Princess Plus a free specialty dinner and for most categories a free cabin upgrade. Since these two perks are available no matter which price you book (Saver's or Plus), that is the sale.

The $40/day/person for gratuities, Internet and beverage package is not part of the sale but is a current option that existed before the BSE and will still exist when the BSE ends.

I agree with your points and also tongue-in-cheek of OP. However I just got a Princess brochure that listed a selection of cruises that showed the included perk pricing per OP. 'Must book by March 31st.' Yet these itineraries also show Plus and Saver pricing - initially I thought they were offering Plus at Saver prices for these itineraries, however, every itinerary shows 'Our Lowest price with Specialty Dining and Upgrade' I understand it is a marketing gimmick but find it to be irritating.

I see no problem getting to seven drinks a day:

1. morning latte
  2. coffee break 1 (morning)
  3. coffee break 2
  4. pool side refreshment sodas/shake
  5. Pre dinner cocktail
  6. wine with dinner
  7. After dinner espresso/cocktail/crème de Menthe Sunday
  8. Lounge/music cocktail or 2
  9. Bed time Irish coffee

It all adds up

1 hour ago, TNTLAMB said:

I see no problem getting to seven drinks a day:

1. morning latte
  2. coffee break 1 (morning)
  3. coffee break 2
  4. pool side refreshment sodas/shake
  5. Pre dinner cocktail
  6. wine with dinner
  7. After dinner espresso/cocktail/crème de Menthe Sunday
  8. Lounge/music cocktail or 2
  9. Bed time Irish coffee

It all adds up

Those coffees and sodas don't count as a full drink toward the seven...they cost a bit less...What you've listed, basically, gets you to "break even"...But it also assumes you NEVER get off the ship...For me, if we are in port, I am off the ship after a quick breakfast and often don't get back on until it's almost dinner time...so, on those days, a couple of morning coffee breaks and a pool-side cocktail wouldn't happen ...

And then figure in free alcohol I get from Captain's Circle status or by attending one of those Captain's parties...and drinking while off the ship because I bought a drink in port...or my excursion was a tequila tasting...or my TA left a bottle of wine in my cabin...None of those count toward the break even seven either...

Drink all of that PLUS seven alcoholic drinks a day...and you have ONLY broken even... 

13 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Drink all of that PLUS seven alcoholic drinks a day...and you have ONLY broken even... 

only if you have paid "full retail price" - not the $ 25 pp pd ( after grats, discounting wifi as -0- under BSE or Princess Plus, right ??

21 minutes ago, voljeep said:

only if you have paid "full retail price" - not the $ 25 pp pd ( after grats, discounting wifi as -0- under BSE or Princess Plus, right ??

Exactly...

What I said...or, at least tried to say, I guess...was that AT FULL PRICE, these perks are not worth what they usually charge...

But, with the current "deal", they make sense--though not as extraordinary as they want you to believe.  They are charging $40 per day over the no-frills price...The grats we pay either way...so, it's $25 for the rest...

But, to some of us, because of Captain's Circle Status, we get enough WiFi minutes as we need (it's probably worth more to some people who waste their cruise time sitting in their cabin streaming movies or playing computer games)...

So, really it comes down to paying $25 ahead of time to, basically, pre-pay for three well drinks per person per day...which is FAIR...but not if you are a non-drinker (say for religious or health reasons or if a minor)...and, perhaps, some people REALLY get their money's worth--if they are BIG drinkers...but, of course, Princess doesn't care...They make out well selling everyone onboard a PREPAID three drinks per day.  ALL drinks, even the extras to those that drink ore, cost them pennies on the dollar...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Those coffees and sodas don't count as a full drink toward the seven...they cost a bit less...

I'm not sure where the 7 drinks per day come into play.  Most alcohol drinks cost at least $8, minimum and I drink martini's or rum and coke.  Martini's are $10 - $12 + tip, depending on brand of vodka.  So to break even at an $8 - $12 price, considering the cruise tips are $13.50 of the $40 upcharge, you would only need to drink about 3 - 4 alcohol drinks a day.  A Bloody Mary morning, wine at dinner (if it is an off-ship day, a cocktail at a show and a cocktail listening to guitar or piano music and I more than break even.  If I am on the ship all day, like 9 or so days on a 15 day round trip Hawaii from LA or SF cruise, with alcohol, specialty coffee, shakes, juice, bottled water, etc and it is a no brainer.

2 hours ago, restasured said:

I'm not sure where the 7 drinks per day come into play...

AGAIN...I was talking about what one drinks...or needs to...when paying FULL PRICE for the drink package...$59.99 per day plus tip...$70.79...

AND sure, you can get to break even at only five drinks per day, every day, if all you ever drink is the MAXIMUM $12 martini...But I was really talking about the average drink bill...People drink a lot of “well” drinks...or cocktails like Margaritas or Pina Coladas or such—that they often sell at considerable discounts.  So, yeah, maybe YOU break even at 5–it’s your SIXTH  $12 Martini that finally puts you over...Maybe I should have said the AVERAGE cruiser breaks even at 7...

...and your Transpacific example isn’t the average cruise either.  The average cruise is 7 nights...with 4 to 5 ports...and the average cruiser on the average cruise drinking average drinks  has one day when he o lay downs, say, four drinks has to drink 10 the next day just to get back to average...And, don’t fall too far behind...because it’s not unlimited... Princess cuts you off at 15 per 24 hour period...

And, remember...that’s all just to break even...If you are only drinking at the break even point, you may as well retain your “free agency” and just run a tab by the drink...that way, you won’t worry about getting charged full price for your $12.50 martini...or, that day when you went Tequila tasting in port and just don’t feel well enough to down another maximum price 5 Martinis or 7 well drinks or cocktails at night...

And, yes, AGAIN, as I’ve said multiple times now, I wasn’t talking about “break even” on the included “deal”...there, as I’ve now also said multiple times, you will break even at three...whether you order $8 drinks, $10 drinks or maximum $12 martinis...Yeah, your third martini puts you over...

Edited by Bruin Steve

A contrarian view from another perspective.  I do acknowledge that the $40/pp/day PLUS fee is a good deal for folks who consume a fair amount and variety of beverages on board during a voyage.

Looking at the $40/pp/day, we of course pay the grats, but the internet package is not worth the $10/pp/day to us that Princess uses.  We get Elite pricing discount and can share a package.

Generally, I am at around $20/pp/day allocation value for the drinks portion. 

We get Elite bar setup and take beers for the alcohol portion and sparkling water for the balance.  I bring on my own wine whenever practical.  With the bar setup in cabin and bringing on own wine, we just are not spending nearly $20 additional PER DAY for other drinks.  We are off the ship when in port, so that reduces drinking on those days.  We often have a local beverage in port.  

If I was not bringing my own wine supply on board for a voyage, I would consider the PLUS package and get wine by the glass.  Bringing on my own wine doesn't cost anything near $20/pp/day for the amount we drink, even including some corkage fees (I also find I am never charged all possible corkage fees with Traditional Dining).

Footnote comment to Steelers36 and Bruin Steve, your points are valid and the previous price for PBP made for a lot of debate and calculation. I think the $40 Plus is 'close enough' to make it worthwhile as a convenience and small indulgence. Also, since both Pax have to take Plus, it is good for Princess. Must admit I was surprised when it came out versus previous pricing for PBP but I would venture that Plus pricing yields more for Princess than PBP and is seen as attractive to many Pax, also cuts down on Sharing.

• Like 1