Over/Under contest, when will HAL sail again from a North American port?

kangforpres

21 hours ago, Seahorse99 said:

Over. We have not heard of any progress toward meeting CDC environmental requirements that were a problem pre-pandemic. 

This may be one small step for the CDC, but it's a giant leap for the cruise industry.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcruise-ship%2Fcruise-ship-member-disembarkations.html

This basically says that cruise ships who have met the criteria can disembark crew members from the ship to commercial transportation (the airport). 

They can also re-staff the ships, but the incoming crew members have to quarantine for 14 days. 

Of course there's a lot of hoops to jump through, but it's progress. 

We have a cruise booked over American Thanksgiving, so hopefully under. The fcc's were just sitting there in the account, may as well be put to good use.

• Like 1

Crystal just announced a new series of 7 day Bahamas sailings on the Crystal Serenity starting in July with embark options in either Nassau or Bimini.  Sailings will be bookable from March 18th.  US residents welcome if fully vaccinated.  While not a US port departure, this is at least an option available this summer for those who want a cruise close to home!  We could see other lines follow this example.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Crystal-to-launch-Bahamas-cruises-in-July?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=eltrtopstory&oly_enc_id=2015F0500889A6W 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Crystal starting a Bahamas cruise RT Nassau in July. Vaccine verification required.

Also?  One must first actually get to the Bahamas  - which isn't as easy as booking your flight to Nassau or Bimini. 

(1)  One needs a negative PCR test, taken no earlier than five days before your arrival in the Bahamas, then, (2) one has to submit one's negative result to apply for a 'Bahamas Travel Health Visa' whose cost is dependent upon length of stay and also includes mandatory COVID-19 health insurance that covers one for your duration. (3) There is also a day five COVID test for travellers staying longer than four nights / five days in the Bahamas -- given that Crystal's itins are entirely intra-Bahamas, not sure how, or if tbh, that applies?   (source: https://travel.gov.bs/  a very cheeky url, when one thinks about it;  also: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cruising-to-return-to-the-bahamas-on-crystal-cruises-beginning-july-2021-301246674.html )    

And then there is the small matter of getting back home - which in my case of Canada is (1) another COVID test post-cruise but pre-entry into Canada, (2) a mandatory up to three-night stay at one's own expense at a quarantine hotel (at one of only four cities in Canada that can receive inbound international pax), (3) another upon arrival COVID test, plus then (4) submitting your travel to home and remainder time (total of 14 days) quarantine plans for approval. And then, (5) assuming one's vacation glow hasn't worn off, getting another COVID test at day ten whilst still in quarantine ...   all at one's own expense.  (source: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist)      

Still not sounding very vacation-y.   But, yay Crystal !!  Sounds good for ppl w/ residence in the Bahamas though ?   🙂      Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

8 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Also?  One must first actually get to the Bahamas  - which isn't as easy as booking your flight to Nassau or Bimini. 

I looked this morning.  There is a three hour super fast shuttle between various ports in Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale.  It runs about $100.   They could as well offer a charter with Sun Country or the like 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I looked this morning.  There is a three hour super fast shuttle between various ports in Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale.  It runs about $100.   They could as well offer a charter with Sun Country or the like 

Alas, it still doesn't eliminate the current requirements re testing or health visa.  For Baleària ferry,  for example.    Scott. 

image.png.63d2b380f535a5fd23139a990b572e8c.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Crystal just announced a new series of 7 day Bahamas sailings on the Crystal Serenity starting in July with embark options in either Nassau or Bimini.  Sailings will be bookable from March 18th.  US residents welcome if fully vaccinated.  While not a US port departure, this is at least an option available this summer for those who want a cruise close to home!  We could see other lines follow this example.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Crystal-to-launch-Bahamas-cruises-in-July?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=eltrtopstory&oly_enc_id=2015F0500889A6W 

It will be interesting to see how this works out.  For us it’s of no interest (just like any cruises as short as 7 days or less).  I know they have to take baby steps and some would fly halfway around the world to cruise again.  I just don’t know how large that population is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Alas, it still doesn't eliminate the current requirements re testing or health visa.  For Baleària ferry,  for example.    Scott. 

image.png.63d2b380f535a5fd23139a990b572e8c.png

Sure, but you will have to do that for the cruise.  You can get there with ease though.  I checked it is currently running

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Sure, but you will have to do that for the cruise. You can get there with ease though.

Ease?  Three PCR tests, an instant antigen test, and a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon returning exceeds my BS threshold for a seven-day Caribbean anything, notwithstanding the modified / diluted onboard experience?   I don't need to 'vacation' that bad.   Of course, YMMV.     🙂    Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

6 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Ease?  Three PCR tests, an instant antigen test, and a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon returning exceeds my BS threshold for a seven-day Caribbean anything, notwithstanding the modified / diluted onboard experience?   I don't need to 'vacation' that bad.   Of course, YMMV.     🙂    Scott. 

7 day Caribbean cruises are my thing ever but for those who want a vacation this is doable 

• Haha 1