Transferring a booking

sjde

What would be the reason(s)  to transfer over a river cruise booking that we made directly with the cruise line to a travel agent? I’ve been reading on here that others do that. 
And do you have 30 days to do it , 60 days? TIA! 

Time to transfer booking depends on the particular cruise line rules.

A Good T/A should always offer something better than booking direct on any cruise line especially 

as a thank you for transferring .😉

Edited by MCC retired

19 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Time to transfer booking depends on the particular cruise line rules.

A Good T/A should always offer something better than booking direct on any cruise line especially 

as a thank you for transferring .😉

You’ve got (or had) a similar thread going on another forum I seem to remember that it was Oceania and we gave you numerous reasons why transferring a booking to the “right” (carefully researched) TA is good for both added perks and service.

And, again, the “big ticket” TA value is “commission sharing,” which comes to you as refundable SBC or a rebate check from the TA who is paid a commission from the cruise line.

So, why not book direct with the TA rather than do a transfer? It depends.

If YOU know what your doing and are on top of what is the best currently published cruise line “book direct” deal for your desired itinerary, you have a baseline fare (and their perks) with which to start your quest for the best “deal” (at least, financially). From that point, many cruisers will then contact their preferred TA or “shop it around” and ask “what can you add?” 
(FWIW: If you get the answer “zero,” that might be a good sign to look elsewhere.) 

At the very least, a TA (who is receiving a commission from the cruise line and may also be receiving marketing incentive funds from the cruiseline and/or from some TA consortium) should be able to cover your gratuities. In addition, they may have discounted group pricing available or it may be their month for the cruise line’s “preferred partner - quiet sale.” And that’s before any discussion about commission sharing. 

At the same time, however, there are occasions when booking direct with the cruise line has a value item or two that the TA does not. The best example is a BOB discount (book onboard), which on our preferred line gets you a discounted price, a price drop match guarantee and SBC for the current cruise when the booking is made.

Add to that BOB deal the transfer window (e.g., 30 days on Oceania) and you have the ideal situation for bargain hunters:

1) the cruise line’s best deal 

2) time to shop it around for added perks

3) an advocate should problems arise.*

*you are a rounding error in a cruise line’s dailybbottom line while the right TA may book $ millions with them each month. Whose concerns will get solved more quickly?

13 minutes ago, sjde said:

It seems odd that a TA would get paid for a booking that they didn't even do.  But i suppose they do take over after that.

Yes - you are their problem now. 
Occasionally, rookie CC posters will ask: “why doesn’t the cruise line do all its own bookings and save the commission?” Suffice to say that it would be far more expensive for a cruise line to DIY - marketing, communications, handholding, problem-solving.... not to mention salaries/benefits/facilities if they used their own additional personnel.

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’ve got (or had) a similar thread going on another forum I seem to remember that it was Oceania and we gave you numerous reasons why transferring a booking to the “right” (carefully researched) TA is good for both added perks and service.

And, again, the “big ticket” TA value is “commission sharing,” which comes to you as refundable SBC or a rebate check from the TA who is paid a commission from the cruise line.

So, why not book direct with the TA rather than do a transfer? It depends.

If YOU know what your doing and are on top of what is the best currently published cruise line “book direct” deal for your desired itinerary, you have a baseline fare (and their perks) with which to start your quest for the best “deal” (at least, financially). From that point, many cruisers will then contact their preferred TA or “shop it around” and ask “what can you add?” 
(FWIW: If you get the answer “zero,” that might be a good sign to look elsewhere.) 

At the very least, a TA (who is receiving a commission from the cruise line and may also be receiving marketing incentive funds from the cruiseline and/or from some TA consortium) should be able to cover your gratuities. In addition, they may have discounted group pricing available or it may be their month for the cruise line’s “preferred partner - quiet sale.” And that’s before any discussion about commission sharing. 

At the same time, however, there are occasions when booking direct with the cruise line has a value item or two that the TA does not. The best example is a BOB discount (book onboard), which on our preferred line gets you a discounted price, a price drop match guarantee and SBC for the current cruise when the booking is made.

Add to that BOB deal the transfer window (e.g., 30 days on Oceania) and you have the ideal situation for bargain hunters:

1) the cruise line’s best deal 

2) time to shop it around for added perks

3) an advocate should problems arise.*

*you are a rounding error in a cruise line’s dailybbottom line while the right TA may book $ millions with them each month. Whose concerns will get solved more quickly?

OOPS! My post was meant for SJDE (not MCC Retired).

Flatbush Flyer- I believe Grand Circle Cruise Line pays/uses no TSs and that is one way they keep their prices down. They also do no marketing  except to past cruisers. 

Yes, I did ask this question within another post but don't recall much response, unless I wasn't getting notifications for some reason. 

I have not heard of them covering gratuities before-I've just heard of SBC, cash cards, maybe shore excursuion(s) or specialty dining. 

I just asked the local TA if she would be able to offer any SBC and she responded $50 per cabin (we have 4 cabins). Gratuities would be $1117!

If I tell a TA we have a booking to transfer it seems a bit crass to ask what she will do for us. Or do i just transfer it and wait and see/hope? 

Edited by sjde
more info

31 minutes ago, sjde said:

Yes, I did ask this question within another post but don't recall much response, unless I wasn't getting notifications for some reason. 

I have not heard of them covering gratuities before-I've just heard of SBC, cash cards, maybe shore excursuion(s) or specialty dining. 

I just asked the local TA if she would be able to offer any SBC and she responded $50 per cabin (we have 4 cabins). Gratuities would be $1117!

If I tell a TA we have a booking to transfer it seems a bit crass to ask what she will do for us. Or do i just transfer it and wait and see/hope? 

Remind me not to go car shopping with you. 😎

I’ve never encountered a TA who hasn’t heard that question (“what can you add to the deal?) on numerous occasions. 

Maybe it’s the Brooklyn kid still inside me: After all, the first complete sentence ever spoken by a young Brooklynite is “NEVER pay retail.”  

As for the gratuities, read my previous post. The “right” TA may not have to pay your gratuities out of pocket. Cruise lines/TA Consortia may be providing the TA with “pass through” incentive funds.

In any case, the saying “you get what you pay for” (in the world of travel) also applies to all the work it takes to identify and negotiate with the “right” TA.

Some quick “assumption” math:

If your $1117 tips figure is the total fo 4 people and it’s the Oceania (?) cruise you were talking about in that other thread, we’re talking about an 8 day cruise, which (for a balcony to Caribbean) could be about $2500/person.

With a very conservative “commissionable fare” figure of $2000 per person, I’d expect a TA to offer, at least, the gratuities (approx $125 pp) or approx 6% of the commissionable fare (approx $125 pp) or BOTH (if the tips are “pass through.”

9 minutes ago, sjde said:

Nope, it's a family Alaska cruise on Princess. 11 people , 4 cabins. 

Do the simple math. Conservatively, determine about 85% of the Princess published fare per person (as the commissionable fare). With the “right” TA, you should be able to get at least 4-5% of that figure as refundable SBC or a rebate (or credit towards gratuities (if it’s an out-of-pocket for them)).

• Thanks 1

I'm getting my trips mixed up! The Alaska cruise next year  is the one I've been looking for a TA for and talking to several. It's the AMA Christmas markets river cruise we already booked ourselves and I am thinking of transferring it if I find a good TA. 

But the 2nd (local) TA I spoke to for Alaska just told me the same as the first -$50 SBC per cabin (There are 4 cabins and I was expecting about $250 each). She did add something else, very vague-that when it's time to sail  she adds to her guest's shipboard account some as well as a thank you for booking with her. 

"What benefit would it be to us to transfer this booking ?' is how I've decided to put it. :) 

I'm thinking you can't do this on the bidding sites, but only with a local or online individual  TA? 

I generally book the cruise myself after doing my research.  I then transfer it to a TA that I started using that was referred to me by another CC member.  I usually get at least $150.00 per person OBC and sometimes a little extra.  An example is:  I changed a booked cruise that originally had a $50.00 OBC/person from the cruise line.  When I got the new booking the cruise line OBC no longer showed up.  Follow up with the TA disclosed the cruise line OBC did not transfer with the new cruise.  The TA volunteered to cover the $50.00/person cruise line OBC at their cost.  Now, this shows they were making plenty off of my booking.  But on the other hand they did not have to cover the $50.00/person OBC we lost on the transfer.

On some more expensive cruises we have gotten more TA OBC and on a less expensive cruise we have booked for Nov. 2021 we only got $125.00/person.

It is all in finding a TA you like and are comfortable with.  As someone else has mentioned once the TA has your booking they will help you with any questions and if they are a good TA they will go to bat for you when needed.

Stan

Edited by travelingman
correction of grammar & spelling

12 minutes ago, sjde said:

"What benefit would it be to us to transfer this booking ?' is how I've decided to put it. 🙂

I'm thinking you can't do this on the bidding sites, but only with a local or online individual  TA? 

IMO, all that phrasing says is “I have a hard time asking for extras and will not press the issue if you say no.”

If asking for a “deal” bends some TA out of shape, that’s a sure sign that you need to cross them off your list.

As for limits on negotiating, there really are none.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sjde said:

Flatbush Flyer- I believe Grand Circle Cruise Line pays/uses no TSs and that is one way they keep their prices down. They also do no marketing  except to past cruisers. 

Vantage also doesn't use TAs, either.  They are their own agents.  

• Like 1

@sjde, I believe the benefits of transferring your booking from AMA to a TA are described in your previous thread here.  But first, you have to find out 2 things.  

1) Will AMA release the booking to a TA 

2) Will the TA make it worth it to transfer the booking, either through great service or credit.

Only you can answer those questions, as you have to be happy with the TA, and everyone has their own preferences.

Good luck and let us know if you are successful.

Each line has their own "rules'.  Some will do so no problem, some won't even let you book with a TA.  You have to contact them to see what is allowed.  Don't forget, if they have to pay a commission  to a TA once you switch, they may not want you to switch as right now, it's not costing them anything.