Volendam sailing announced by HAL for July 2021

boze9999

2 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

And assuming all crew have already been vaccinated before flying.  Or is HAL organizing it.  

Not necessarily.  They could just be tested and be negative.  Could be charter flights.  A couple of A380's would have a lot of crew shifted quickly.

Who knows??!

Moving the ship in the direction of the planned commencement of cruising seems positive.  Why spend the money on fuel when they could have stayed at anchor on the south of England?

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

'Morgen' is the german word for 'morning'

Thank you.  I had (wrongly) assumed that because it was capitalize, it referred to a specific person.  Now . . . I just need to learn how to pronounced that phrase.

Don sometimes gets long winded and opinionated, but, I don't believe he thinks of himself as a journalist, or that his channel is the you tube equivalent to CNN. 

We think of him as entertainment value. Not serious reporting. 

The ships off Southern California have been doing their ships mechanical maintenance for weeks now. It only makes sense. With CDC restrictions and certifications, crew can get off the ships at U.S. ports and go to the airports since the first part of March. New crew can get on the ships, but have to quarantine 14 days once they board. Last week, the two U.S. Senators from Alaska introduced a bill that would allow foreign flagged  vessels to operate between U.S. ports only, which is currently prohibited under the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA).

It's all baby steps.

We're booked on the Volendam for a Caribbean cruise in November with full knowledge that it could be one of our "Cruises That Never Was". One can always hope, right? 

Edited by CaliforniaAC
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaAC said:

Don sometimes gets long winded and opinionated, but, I don't believe he thinks of himself as a journalist, or that his channel is the you tube equivalent to CNN. 

We think of him as entertainment value. Not serious reporting. 

The ships off Southern California have been doing their ships mechanical maintenance for weeks now. It only makes sense. With CDC restrictions and certifications, crew can get off the ships at U.S. ports and go to the airports since the first part of March. New crew can get on the ships, but have to quarantine 14 days once they board. Last week, the two U.S. Senators for Alaska introduced a bill that would allow flagged  vessels to operate between U.S. ports only which is currently prohibited under the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA).

It's all baby steps.

We're booked on the Volendam for a Caribbean cruise in November with full knowledge that it could be one of our "Cruises That Never Was". One can always hope, right? 

For what is is worth I heard from a little birdie over the weekend that Carnival's goal is to resume cruising in September. It will be with a limited number of ships and who knows what other restrictions. I am not even sure they know what the restrictions will be yet. I do however trust this source implicitly. Obviously this could change if there is another substantial surge with the virus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

For what is is worth I heard from a little birdie over the weekend that Carnival's goal is to resume cruising in September. It will be with a limited number of ships and who knows what other restrictions. I am not even sure they know what the restrictions will be yet. I do however trust this source implicitly. Obviously this could change if there is another substantial surge with the virus.

It it’s not going to be until September, I hope they announce the conditions and restrictions well in advance so that people will final payments in July and August can evaluate if they are prepared to go or not (assuming their cruise is a go).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

It it’s not going to be until September, I hope they announce the conditions and restrictions well in advance so that people will final payments in July and August can evaluate if they are prepared to go or not (assuming their cruise is a go).

I certainly hope your Spanish Farewell cruise sails... Mines the next 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am supposed to sail on the Nieuw Statendam August 1 out of Amsterdam. What are the chances that will happen? Should I reserve plane tickets now?

Haven’t seen you on here for ages.  I believe you should book the flights and any hotels you may need.

27 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Haven’t seen you on here for ages.  I believe you should book the flights and any hotels you may need.

And either use flight ease or make sure the flights are refundable and the hotels are not prepaid 😉 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CaliforniaAC said:

I certainly hope your Spanish Farewell cruise sails... Mines the next 😄

Thanks 🙂 We have a very active roll call and lots of fun planned so I hope so.  We’re all just in the boring watch and wait mode to see what happens world wide, how the pandemic unfolds, it if it will be safe, what the rules will be to sail (if it goes) and of course, to make sure we have our vaccines.

Ships’ excursions only could be a game changer for a number of us.  Hoping the vaccine is well enough distributed by then it won’t be a worry.  All we can do is wait and see.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I gave up thinking of cruising and cruise critic when covid hit. It was better for my mental health.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am supposed to sail on the Nieuw Statendam August 1 out of Amsterdam. What are the chances that will happen? Should I reserve plane tickets now?

I'm also booked on that cruise. I booked my flights through flight ease but do have some issues right now with the flight reservation not showing my air credit. Even if the cruise is a go, one big unknown is whether there will  be a "travel bubble" required straight from the airport to the ship. My original flight actually is to CDG to spend a few days in France first, which is unlikely at this point.

Edited by vicd1969