Silver Spirit or Seabourn Encore?

sail1658

In 2019 we were fortunate to cruise on both Silver Spirit and Seabourn Encore sailing from Barcelona around the Mediterranean.  At the time I thought I was being a bit extravagant but after last year's lockdown and the prospects of cruising this year receding I'm glad I did.

So which did we prefer?  Well the differences are wafer thin really. Each ship had things I preferred over the other. Food was similar.  I preferred La Terrazza on Silver Spirit for lunch,  but I loved The Colonnade in the evening as there were varied menus and theme nights  Entertainment was better,  I thought, on Seabourn, - live music in the shows with a house band and singers,  plus live music in the Observation Lounge. I personally prefer the slightly more formal dress style on Silversea. I think it adds atmosphere to the evening. 

Butlers on Silversea are great. They'll get you anything you need, while Seabourn cabin staff are good but are always very busy. I didn't like the Retreat, as it was a real  waste of deck space. Even when we tried it  I wasn't impressed, except by the comfortable sunbeds, which highlighted the cheap sunbeds around the pool. On Silversea all sunbeds are padded, and there was more space around the pool. All the staff on both lines are equally excellent and go out of their way to please you.

But after all is said and done, these are first world issues and I'd jump at the chance to sail on either of them as soon as possible.

I've uploaded some Silversea and Seabourn videos to my YouTube channel, Cruise Video Memories so you can compare experiences -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYW-Y1IjRSD9MECilTBG5A

Silversea videos are completed but Seabourn is a work in progress and I'll upload more each week.

I have never sailed Seabourn....  every time I look at your SS video I want to stamp my feet 

and get on a cruise again! .......LOL............. 

We have always wanted to cruise with Seabourn but it just hasn’t come together.  Right after we moved from big line big ships to Silversea and their smaller ships Seabourn unloaded their smaller ships.  It really put a dent in their number of available itineraries and destinations.  Fully hooked on Silversea so if and when we cruise again it will probably be Silversea.   

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Fully hooked on Silversea so if and when we cruise again it will probably be Silversea.   

Our first Silversea cruise was Silver Spirit in 2015 and we weren't too impressed, but maybe we'd expected too much. We had a bad start when another passenger who sat next to me on the flight to Nice actually took our private Silversea transfer to the ship. He'd asked how we were getting to Monte Carlo as he had nothing arranged. We waited at the airport for some considerable time before ringing to ask where the car was, and we were told that we'd already been collected!!! When we actually arrived in a replacement transfer some hours later, there was just a shrug of shoulders. Not a very good first impression!! That seemed to be the attitude throughout the cruise. The friendly passenger who I suspected from the plane totally avoided me throughout the cruise at all times. 

So we tried Seabourn Sojourn which we loved and then Seabourn Encore which we liked but didn't love.

We were tempted back to Silver Spirit by a good deal and itinerary, so we gave them another try. With more realistic expectations and an uneventful transfer to the ship we were very impressed and we then tried  Silver Muse which was our absolute favourite. We feel that Silversea just pips Seabourn to the post, but would travel on either cruise line, given the chance. 

Edited by sail1658

1 hour ago, sail1658 said:

Our first Silversea cruise was Silver Spirit in 2015 and we weren't too impressed, but maybe we'd expected too much. We had a bad start when another passenger who sat next to me on the flight to Nice actually took our private Silversea transfer to the ship. He'd asked how we were getting to Monte Carlo as he had nothing arranged. We waited at the airport for some considerable time before ringing to ask where the car was, and we were told that we'd already been collected!!! When we actually arrived in a replacement transfer some hours later, there was just a shrug of shoulders. Not a very good first impression!! That seemed to be the attitude throughout the cruise. The friendly passenger who I suspected from the plane totally avoided me throughout the cruise at all times. 

So we tried Seabourn Sojourn which we loved and then Seabourn Encore which we liked but didn't love.

We were tempted back to Silver Spirit by a good deal and itinerary, so we gave them another try. With more realistic expectations and an uneventful transfer to the ship we were very impressed and we then tried  Silver Muse which was our absolute favourite. We feel that Silversea just pips Seabourn to the post, but would travel on either cruise line, given the chance. 

That's what ya get for sitting in First Class!!

We have ventured once to Seabourn ( over 20 years with Silversea ) on the first of their larger ship (Odyssey ) for a 3 week Med Cruise. We had a great time and liked some of the aspects including Colonnade Restaurant and The Seabourn Square but disliked the Pool area ( too much loud Taped Music most of the day ) and The Main Restaurant. The ship was also suffering from substantial Soot deposits which involved a number of Free Laundering Sessions. This aspect has probably now been fixed.

We would return to Seabourn if there was nothing we fancied on Silversea but for us the wonderful Crew on Silversea cannot be beaten - we also prefer the slightly more formal approach and with the onset of more Dining choice on Silversea for us there is no real contest.

In this very strange world we are living in at the moment any Cruise on either would be more than acceptable !!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mayflower1 said:

We would return to Seabourn if there was nothing we fancied on Silversea but for us the wonderful Crew on Silversea cannot be beaten - we also prefer the slightly more formal approach and with the onset of more Dining choice on Silversea for us there is no real contest.

We agree wholeheartedly with this comment, especially "the wonderful Crew on Silversea cannot be beaten" - Absolutely true!!  And also "the slightly more formal approach" which creates a very special atmosphere when everyone seems to have made an effort to enhance the evening.  

Mayflower....Thanks for Information on Seabourn.You will know from previous cruises together how much we enjoy the Pool and surroundings but the Silversea Mermaid Mary does not need loud music all day to accompany her swims! Nor do I care for a noisy Pool Area with loud music.Hope to meet up again when permitted to cruise again with Silversea whenever that might be.

How lucky and blessed are we when we can cruise on either line. So many people around the world do not know where their next meal is coming from. Either company would do me at the moment, in any cabin, even the lifeboat, crew cabin etc. 

You create such a wonderful vision of SMM which will sustain us over the continuing miserable days until we can be together again !!!. We  coincidently shared our Seaborn Adventure with the much missed Duct Tape from CC who must have been one of the greatest Silversea Fans - she was far from impressed and vowed ' Once is enough ' !!!!

We hope you are both keeping well and like us hoping for brighter days ahead.

Came across Mr Duct  Tape ,Joe, on one of our more recent cruises 2017/18. Always great company ,thanks for the positive reminder from the past which helps to bridge the gap to SS cruising again.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:09 AM, sail1658 said:

We agree wholeheartedly with this comment, especially "the wonderful Crew on Silversea cannot be beaten" - Absolutely true!! 

I am beginning to explore Silverseas and Seabourn for my next cruise.  Your comment is one of the reasons why I have been such a frequent HAL cruiser.  Much has changed on HAL over the years, but the service, friendliness of the crew has been a constant.

What nationalities--for the most part--are the crew on a Silverseas ship?  

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The main percentage of crew are Filipino and South Asian. We've also met wonderful individuals from Bali and Myanmar.  All of the crew are so friendly and can't do enough for you, whether they're serving in the restaurants or the bars or out on deck. They remember your name and your drink preferences, and often have the drink ready as you walk into the room if you're a regular there. They even recognise you from previous cruises. This has been our experience and I'm sure other members will verify this.

Edited by sail1658
  • Like 1

The wait staff goes through a process of learning all the guests names.......when you sit down

to dinner don't be surprised if they call you Mr or Mrs ------(choose your last name) when they

take your order.  It is one of the wonderful parts of sailing on a much smaller vessel.🙂  I am not a formal person in general so I tell them if they have to

use a formal greeting, just say Miss Lois.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am beginning to explore Silverseas and Seabourn for my next cruise.  Your comment is one of the reasons why I have been such a frequent HAL cruiser.  Much has changed on HAL over the years, but the service, friendliness of the crew has been a constant.

We were pretty loyal HAL cruisers for 17 years with only one Celebrity cruise.  The stars aligned in 2012 when we were looking for our first Med cruise.   Actually got down to a 12-day cruise on the Prinsendam and a 14-day cruise on the Silver Wind.   We picked the Silver Wind because it was a longer cruise for about the same price and because we wanted to try something different.   We were not disappointed and after some eight Silversea cruises I can’t see us ever going back to HAL.  You will find the crew a very familiar mix that you have experienced on HAL and, believe it or not, the level of service is better than HAL.   If you go with Silversea you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly the staff learn your names...like in a few hours....how quickly adapt to your level of service expectations, and how easily they learn your preferences.  Actually a funny thing happened our very first hour on the Wind.  We were sitting at the pool side bar when one of the bar managers came to the bar.   She looked at us and immediately let out a “Dr Randy and Miss Carey!!!”  She had been one of our favorite bartenders on three or four of our HAL cruises and remembered us.  By the way she said there were a number of exHAL employees on the ship.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sail1658 said:

The main percentage of crew are Filipino and South Asian. We've also met wonderful individuals from Bali and Myanmar.

Thank you for the information.  These nationalities seem to be hospitality oriented.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am not a formal person in general so I tell them if they have to

use a formal greeting, just say Miss Lois.

Sir Bob (or Robert) is the name that I always appreciate hearing from a HAL Steward/Stewardess.  Mr. Bob is what my homeowners association Manager calls me even as the President of our association and that is perfectly acceptable.  (It's far more preferable than a few names that my former middle school students sometimes called me.  😆)

55 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

You will find the crew a very familiar mix that you have experienced on HAL and, believe it or not, the level of service is better than HAL.   If you go with Silversea you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly the staff learn your names...

Thanks for your post.  What I am starting to learn is that the Silverseas and Seabourn experience is a step-up (or more) from Yacht Club of MSC.  The interaction with hotel staff, i.e. the bartenders, Stewards/Stewardesses or Butlers--(whatever their title)--is important to me.  Conversations with these good people have added a dimension to my travel experiences that would have been missed if I had not tried to engage with them.   

49 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

We have some favorite wait staff from Belgium, France, Italy, Brazil and Turkey as well as all the lovely Asian staff.  I hope I am not forgetting anyone.

One of my favorite bartenders is from Ukrane. So, that is another place😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

One of my favorite bartenders is from Ukrane.

On MSC Meraviglia, the YC Senior Butler was a woman from the Ukraine.  What little I observed, she performed her duties quite well.  She seemed to "run a tight ship" inasmuch as she seemed to be the "director of the other Butlers".  

I have been less impressed with crew members from other Eastern European countries.  HAL's practice of staffing their early versions of the Pinnacle Grill with Eastern Europeans did not turn out well as to guest service.  That venue's crew nationality changed.  

But, on Royal Princess, my Stewardess in Crown Grill was an Eastern European woman who was guest-friendly and oriented.  

What makes the difference?  Personality?  Training?  Supervision?  Or maybe a combination of all of these factors?  

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

I hope I am not forgetting anyone.

Realized on reading your post I failed to mention Romania, one of our favorites was from there,

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What makes the difference?  Personality?  Training?  Supervision?  Or maybe a combination of all of these factors?  

I suppose a combination, but I'd add vetting during the hiring process.  I bring this up because I was an absolute disaster at this in my job - bad enough that I would just warn boss & HR that my time would be better spent doing my usual job than interviewing candidates.  Unless of course they agreed we should hire anyone who wanted to work with us 🙂

21 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I would just warn boss & HR that my time would be better spent doing my usual job than interviewing candidates. 

I understand your post.  Part of my job as the department Chairman for my school's Science Department was being involved in the reviewing resumes of applicants for positions open, being involved in the interviewing of the candidates chosen, and assisting my Principal and Assistant Superintendent for Personnel as to who would be offered a contract.  We chose some winners!  And, then, we chose some who interviewed well and had "sterling" recommendations.  But, proved to be a significant disappointment.    (I came to become suspicious of such "sterling recommendations" as being "please, take this person off our payroll".)   The HR department of any and all cruise lines face the same kind of challenge, I am sure.   

• Like 1

Another country where staff are from is Mongolia.One of our best butlers who was on the Cloud with us up the Amazon.We invited a couple we knew to share our balcony for lunch.Although it was our butler's time off he stayed and personally served the 4 of us.

• Like 1