Booking Excursions for 2022 Cruise

STREETKING

We have an  Alaskan cruise booked for 4/2022. I'm curious about what others are doing about their shore excursions with their booked cruises, are you waiting until all the smoke clears and chancing the tour might fill up, or are you booking your tours now with hope that your cruise sails? For those that have had cruises cancelled and tours booked how was the refund process handled?

Thanks,

Brad

41 minutes ago, STREETKING said:

We have an  Alaskan cruise booked for 4/2022. I'm curious about what others are doing about their shore excursions with their booked cruises, are you waiting until all the smoke clears and chancing the tour might fill up, or are you booking your tours now with hope that your cruise sails? For those that have had cruises cancelled and tours booked how was the refund process handled?

Thanks,

Brad

I received an email from Princess on March 4th cancelling a UK cruise.

I received a refund for my prepaid shore excursions on March 14th (ten days later). No problems.

Since I selected the option for a cash refund instead of the option to rebook in 2022 or to receive bonus FCC, I also received a refund for my prepaid Princess Vacation Protection on March 14th. Our deposit FCDs were returned to our accounts to be reused.

Based on this experience, Princess seems to have improved their processes significantly form early in the pandemic. If you book Princess shore excursions for more than your OBC balance, the only problem I see is that you are tying up your money for a year, but I would have no hesitation in doing so for April 2022.

I booked an Iceland excursion because I did not want to take a chance of it being sold out.  I did this shortly after excursions became available.  When my cruise seemed in danger of being cancelled, I asked for the excursion to be refunded to my credit card.  A week later, I saw the adjustment.  

Princess has a very reasonable cancellation policy.  If it is something I want to do, I will book it.  Then look for similar independent tours.  I have seen prices go up once on board.  Please do not flame me for holding a spot on an excursion as part of my pre-planning.  I have seen sold out Shorex.  Princess has also cancelled my booking the day before ... leaving me with no options for replacement tours.  

• Like 1

I am waiting to book excursions for my 2022 cruises until I feel reasonably confident that the ships will sail.  I don't want any money besides my deposits tied up in these uncertain times.   My cruises are in Europe, and I want to see other cruises sail those itineraries first, with minimal or manageable restrictions and no incidents of virus breakouts that lead to extended onboard quarantining or ships being turned away at ports.    

I am not booking flights either until that point, whenever it may come.   My decision has cost me the usual happy planning and anticipation period prior to my vacation, but it's what I feel comfortable with now.   

3 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I am not booking flights either until that point, whenever it may come.   My decision has cost me the usual happy planning and anticipation period prior to my vacation, but it's what I feel comfortable with now.   

You can book your flights through Princess EzAir when they become available 335 days from your return date  (ie: my cruise return date June 11, 2022 can book July 16, 2021).

If you take Flexible flights, no payment until final payment, can modify up to 45 days of your cruise with no $ penalty. 

You have not lost any money booking through EzAir, if the airline is cheaper closer to cruise you can cancel EzAir and take the airline.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phabric said:

You can book your flights through Princess EzAir when they become available 335 days from your return date  (ie: my cruise return date June 11, 2022 can book July 16, 2021).

If you take Flexible flights, no payment until final payment, can modify up to 45 days of your cruise with no $ penalty. 

You have not lost any money booking through EzAir, if the airline is cheaper closer to cruise you can cancel EzAir and take the airline.

Good to know! Thank you.  I have always made my own flight arrangements, but this may be the time to try something different.

12 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Good to know! Thank you.  I have always made my own flight arrangements, but this may be the time to try something different.

I always book through EzAir or other cruise lines and modify my booking and have saved $$$ which you can not do if you have purchased direct with the airlines.  I have also booked 2 separate airlines to get the best price and times which would be 2 one way price with the airlines.

EzAir do not list JetBlue, Spirit or Southwest.

Being Canadian, the prices are cheaper for the flights.  Some people on CC say for Americans it is cheaper for International flights than within the States.

With travel so uncertain at this time, why pay up front.

Edited by phabric

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

EZ Air can save amazing amounts of money on International flights. Domestic flights... not so much but the flexible fares are still a great way to go.

Especially great because most fares booked with an airline are non-refundable if Princess cancels your cruise.