ACL requiring vaccinations now!

cwatts15

9 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

This is indeed confusing. The answer we have received from the line is that vaccines are required through April 10, and not after.

Interesting.  So up until midnight April 10, pre-vaccination is mandatory.  But at 12:01 am April 11, the threat is past, and for the next number of unspecified months, no need for vaccinations.  This keeps getting harder and harder to fathom. 

I will not be getting the vaccine for various important reasons which I do not wish to discuss.

So I am sad my cruising days are over, but I have wonderful memories of my many past cruises.

Looking forward instead to some wonderful fly /road trips to some of the same locations cruise ships used to take me.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

Interesting.  So up until midnight April 10, pre-vaccination is mandatory.  But at 12:01 am April 11, the threat is past, and for the next number of unspecified months, no need for vaccinations.  This keeps getting harder and harder to fathom. 

I'm given up trying to figure out what ACL is doing.  Other cruise lines that have set a vaccine requirement have given more notice before it goes into effect [easy to do if you're not sailing yet] and not set an end date at this time.  ACL has done the opposite on both, which has caused a huge outcry and despite my earlier attempt is indefensible IMHO.  But I wouldn't make book on their really lifting the requirement on April 11 – like the CDC they will probably keep extending it.

[Oddly, April 12 is the date the UK has set for their next big announcement re travel – but that applies less to ACL than the CDC, so it's probably just a co-incidence.]

On 3/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm very sorry about how your brother [and others in his situation] were impacted by this – but if I were a passenger on this cruise I would feel very much safer with this rule in place.  With the government registries of vaccinations, this is the one bright-line rule that cruise lines can adopt that will provide a clear rule and increase safety.  I'm sure your brother does have natural immunity from having the disease, but that isn't as easy to prove at this point.  [When I was the manager of a customer-facing department, I learned early on that it was better to have an imperfect rule that my staff could understand and apply evenly, than to try for a perfect rule that was confusing and subject to interpretation.]

Tell me about the government registries of vaccinations.  I would hope there is one, but I have not heard that there is.  We are vaccinated and have been wondering how we will be able to show proof beyond our little cardboard vaccination cards, especially for oversees travel.

I received a statement from Medicare.  It has the date that I received the vaccination, location received, and says coronavi (0001A) along with my name.  I'll be taking it along when I travel and the card given when getting the vaccination.  I know it's not legal proof but a second document showing I got it.  Of course someone could easily forge it.  But at some point people need to trust other people.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

Tell me about the government registries of vaccinations.  I would hope there is one, but I have not heard that there is.

Well, the US government has something they call an "Immunization Information System (IIS)."  Details here:  IIS.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/index.html

The overview chart they provide shows all the agencies (pharmacies, doctors, clinics, etc.) feeding the vaccination info into the system, and says this warehoused info is then available to "patients and authorized professionals."  There is a link for "finding your vaccine record."  But when I followed that, it simply said I cannot get the info directly from the federal government, I have to get it from my state health department.  They have links to all state health departments; when I followed that to North Carolina, NC said I cannot get the info directly from them either, I have to get it from the specific agency that administered the vaccination.  Probably the same for other states, but I didn't check.

So I don't quite see how ACL, for example, would be able to readily access the info, with so many states to deal with.  I plan on scanning my Covid-19 Vaccination Record card and keeping the front/back images on my I-pad.

I think it depends on which itinerary you are going on. We just signed up for the New England cruise in July and there was no mention of a vaccine required, only that a PCR test be taken 4 days before boarding. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 7:59 AM, twototravel said:

I think it depends on which itinerary you are going on. We just signed up for the New England cruise in July and there was no mention of a vaccine required, only that a PCR test be taken 4 days before boarding. 

Hope this is true for Alaska too.

What do we need as proof of completed  covid-19 vaccinations?  Do we  just say "Yes" to the question "Have you been vaccinated?"

Medicare was not involved in my vaccination.  I was required to show Driver's License and complete  paperwork with Name date of Birth, primary care doctor; address; and phone number.

18 hours ago, MSEm said:

What do we need as proof of completed  covid-19 vaccinations?  Do we  just say "Yes" to the question "Have you been vaccinated?"

When we got our vaccinations, we received a CDC "COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card," which I assume we will need to show.  If you not receive such a card, I assume you'll have to show something besides just saying "Yes."

We just got off Queen of Mississippi. You had to upload your Pre-Covid test results online. You will need to show your vaccine card on arrival at ship. They will give you a brief health screening questionnaire to fill out and they will give you a Covid rapid antigen test. We were told to go to our cabin and they would come let us know when the test results were back. They brought us welcome drinks telling us our test was negative. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cwatts15 said:

We just got off Queen of Mississippi. You had to upload your Pre-Covid test results online. You will need to show your vaccine card on arrival at ship. They will give you a brief health screening questionnaire to fill out and they will give you a Covid rapid antigen test. We were told to go to our cabin and they would come let us know when the test results were back. They brought us welcome drinks telling us our test was negative. 

Really interested in knowing how the rest of your trip went?  Masks? Lounges? Excursions?

thanks,

Marc

19 hours ago, cwatts15 said:

Did you have a Pre-Covid  PCR test 4 days prior to boarding? Then you had another COVID rapid test and be in your cabin until it was clear?

On 4/5/2021 at 6:55 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

Can you tell us where you got your PCR test, and how much it cost?

I went Walgreens to get my PCR test. I was going to get the molecular ID Now test that comes back in a couple hours, but they said not to it because it is a rapid Test and they don’t accept anything rapid. Which is crazy because that’s what Hawaii, Aruba, American Airlines and many more want. I sent the info on the test to their health & department about the Walgreens test and they later changed there website to say “Only molecular test results (such as a PCR test) will be accepted.”

I hadn’t got a response so I went ahead a got a regular PCR swab and I had the results in 2 days. I didn’t pay anything. 
In Oklahoma, Walgreens doesn’t charge. They bill your insurance and they have vouchers for free tests.

When I got to the ship I was tested again using a rapid antigen test. That took about 15 min.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, tango223 said:

Did you have a Pre-Covid  PCR test 4 days prior to boarding? Then you had another COVID rapid test and be in your cabin until it was clear

On 4/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, tango223 said:

Did you have a Pre-Covid  PCR test 4 days prior to boarding? Then you had another COVID rapid test and be in your cabin until it was clear?

Yes

Edited by cwatts15

Hey, look what ACL has posted!

Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine (i.e. vaccination card) at time of boarding. A guest is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine.

This is what I hoped would happen.  The vaccine is a much better option than 4-day-in-advance PCR test, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine (i.e. vaccination card) at time of boarding. A guest is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine.

This is what I hoped would happen.  The vaccine is a much better option than 4-day-in-advance PCR test, in my opinion.

That's very good news!! 😀  I was dreading having to coordinate getting the test done prior to travel.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

I just noticed the change as well. Great news, but I will double check to ensure a test is still not required about a week before we depart.

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing on ACL Constitution on July 4th.just received this email through our travel agent

Dear Mrs. Cynthia Lueckemeyer, 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard and providing a safe cruise experience.

It is imperative that you receive the COVID-19 vaccine, if you are able. Through collaboration with community partners, as well as potential interstate travel requirements, it is possible that COVID-19 vaccines will be required for your cruise. Getting vaccinated is the best way to ensure an enjoyable cruise experience.

Our cruises this year have been successful with COVID-19 operating protocols in place. You may review our operating protocols 
here . Unvaccinated guests will be required to comply with additional requirements, including pre-travel testing and, in the event of any COVID-19 positive case onboard, quarantine requirements mandated by state or federal agencies.

Please answer this single question by clicking the appropriate button below. Will you and everyone traveling with you be vaccinated by the time of your cruise?  
YES, I / We will be vaccinnated
NO, I / We will not be vaccinnated 
In accordance with the Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel, face masks must be worn by all guests and crew throughout the cruise, both on board and ashore, when distancing is not possible. Additionally, when you arrive to your ship, a certified Medical Officer will perform a brief health screening as well as conduct an additional COVID-19 test. 

We will continue to keep you updated as any new information becomes available about your cruise and look forward to you joining us.

Sincerely,

We each just received an email from our TA forwarded from ACL asking us to each respond Yes or no  to the question “are you vaccinated or planning to be vaccinated before the cruise?”

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting ready to book an ACL cruise last week but backed out due to the fact that they do not require vaccines.  My TA told me that people like that they don't have to be vaccinated to get on ACL cruises.  Not me.

All I have heard is vaccinated passengers only, don’t understand why they send out email confirmation.  The crew has been vaccinated according to ACL.   Rest assured if you are not vaccinated you will probably be watched like a hawk and force to take COVID test daily.  If you have been vaccinated you are protected, if a non vaccinated passenger does get on, they pose no threat to you only to other no vaccinated passengers.  If you backed out I’m sorry you will miss out!  If you have been vaccinated live your life.