Princess Only Shore Excursions Confirmed

ChangeOrder

Since the CV19 epidemic, many pubs in the UK have installed technology, so that you order your drinks and food from your table, using an app on your phone. No menus either- you download the menu using a QR reader.

No need for anyone to take your order, and no need to tip anyone!

I assume the same is happening in the US ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

All restaurants have had POS systems for years.  This whole discussion revolves how the POS information is entered into the system.  The new method which in this case failed is that the wait person enters the order into a POS station that they carry with them and in this instance, they forgot to press the "enter" button.  With the older systems, the wait person went to a POS data entry station and put the order in so that it could be printed at the kitchen.  If they had forgotten to press the "enter" button at the POS station, the same problem would have occurred.  It was a human error problem and not a technology problem and this whole extended discussion is just a meaningless tempest-in-a-teapot.

DON

So, once again it is a solution in search of a problem.

All I can say is that I am in my 8th decade of life and have always seen restaurant waiters and waitresses write down our orders, and then we get the food. That is until this new fangled technology showed up. 

Many have posted they have the freedom not to get vaccinated even if it would be for the common good of society for everyone to be vaccinated. Well, I have the freedom not to have my life tethered to a smart phone. And as far as I can tell I am not harming anyone else.

Speaking of technology, have you been following at all the story of the major oil and gas pipeline just hit with a ransonware attack? An article I read in today's paper maintained that pipelines should never be connected to the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Speaking of technology, have you been following at all the story of the major oil and gas pipeline just hit with a ransonware attack? An article I read in today's paper maintained that pipelines should never be connected to the internet.

As I understand it, coporate computers became infected and it then spread to other internal computers, possibly (I do not know) some involved with running the pipelines. The pipelines were then shutdown as a precaution in case the ransomwhere was still spreading.

The pipeline systems do not have to be connected to the Internet to have this happen.

• Like 1