Princess Only Shore Excursions Confirmed

ChangeOrder

50 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

We have booked a California Coastal cruise in August.  I realize it may or may not sail.  I'm ok with booking Princess shore excursions if I have to.  But, what happens if we book the tours and pay for them and then the cruise is cancelled?  How long will it take for them to refund our money?  

Which is why for our next booked cruise, a trans-Atlantic , we booked what we expect to be high demand tours and will wait until a month or less before actually sailing for others.

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Port fees, harbor pilot fees, bunkers, food, etc.  Ports earn a lot of $$$ in various ways when a ship moors, with much of it going to local businesses.

Sure Ok... $$$

FYI as a example.. When a cruise ships leave FLL , it leaves with all the food, fuel, and provisions for it's 7 day sailing, additionally cruise ships rarely buys anything from a port of call, and almost always fully provision in their port of origin, plus you can count on your fingers the categories of port employees that a cruise ship port of call requires and ultimately the small amount ofmoney that generates for the community, in comparison to 2 or 3 thousand passengers descending on a port city during a port of call

Lastly.. Under your loic all the existing tourism infrastructure build around the world in cruise ports are redundant, because the ports don't really need passengers but only ships (???)

Edited by srpilo

2 hours ago, srpilo said:

Sure Ok... $$$

FYI as a example.. When a cruise ships leave FLL , it leaves with all the food, fuel, and provisions for it's 7 day sailing, additionally cruise ships rarely buys anything from a port of call, and almost always fully provision in their port of origin, plus you can count on your fingers the categories of port employees that a cruise ship port of call requires and ultimately the small amount ofmoney that generates for the community, in comparison to 2 or 3 thousand passengers descending on a port city during a port of call

Lastly.. Under your loic all the existing tourism infrastructure build around the world in cruise ports are redundant, because the ports don't really need passengers but only ships (???)

Not always,  I've seen cruise ships take on bunkers in strange ports - its all about the contracts and where they can buy it cheapest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not always,  I've seen cruise ships take on bunkers in strange ports - its all about the contracts and where they can buy it cheapest.

Ok you win...

Last Post Here

On 4/17/2021 at 7:29 AM, ontheweb said:

Same excursions, but different prices as Princess (and all the other cruise lines) mark it up and also squeeze out of the local supplier much of the fee. Actually, possibly a little different in a negative way as they take out possible flexibility

I have to give some credit to Princess.  We've actually had a couple of excursions that were less than what we could find with some indies.  I'm not suggesting that will be the case when cruising restarts, but I find Princess's excursion are typically pretty well priced.  I tend to go the other way for usually smaller group sizes.  But again, we've seen a couple of better options with Princess.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just browsed my excursion options for Ensenada in October 2021.  It says I can do the Princess shore excursion then get dropped off to wander Ensenada before returning to the ship.  Hmmmmmm.

Again, all the "bubble" excursions so far are not for regular cruises but are for the special middle-of-the-pandemic cruises that are currently being offered by various cruise lines outside of the USA.

Princess is selling excursions for the future regular scheduled cruises as if they will be able to take place and take place without restrictions on what passengers can do on shore. Whether or not passengers will be restricted on shore on those future cruises is really not known at this time. If passengers will be restricted as to what they can do on shore, then Princess excursions will be modified as necessary and those who have booked the excursions will be able to cancel their excursions for a refund if they do not like any new excursion restrictions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Again, all the "bubble" excursions so far are not for regular cruises but are for the special middle-of-the-pandemic cruises that are currently being offered by various cruise lines outside of the USA.

Princess is selling excursions for the future regular scheduled cruises as if they will be able to take place and take place without restrictions on what passengers can do on shore. Whether or not passengers will be restricted on shore on those future cruises is really not known at this time. If passengers will be restricted as to what they can do on shore, then Princess excursions will be modified as necessary and those who have booked the excursions will be able to cancel their excursions for a refund if they do not like any new excursion restrictions.

But if Princess suggests that the cruise excursions are close to normalcy and they aren't even close to normalcy, will we be able to cancel the cruise w/o incurring any penalties.  I really seriously doubt it.  They will just make every attempt possible to keep our money or force us to book a cruise at a later date whether we want to or not.

DON

7 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I have to give some credit to Princess.  We've actually had a couple of excursions that were less than what we could find with some indies.  I'm not suggesting that will be the case when cruising restarts, but I find Princess's excursion are typically pretty well priced.  I tend to go the other way for usually smaller group sizes.  But again, we've seen a couple of better options with Princess.

Before we cancelled last summer's Princess Norwegian fjords cruise, we looked at the excursions and suffered from sticker shock. (It is possible given that prices are high in the region that private excursions would also have been very pricey; we never did get as far as checking that out.)

We actually did book one, a trip back to Heathrow from Southampton with a stop in Stonehenge. One of our best ever cruise excursions was something similar from Princess, back to Heathrow from Dover with a stop in Canterbury. Not only was it wonderful as an excursion, but it made you feel you were still in a cruise mode even though you were off the ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

But if Princess suggests that the cruise excursions are close to normalcy and they aren't even close to normalcy, will we be able to cancel the cruise w/o incurring any penalties.  I really seriously doubt it.  They will just make every attempt possible to keep our money or force us to book a cruise at a later date whether we want to or not.

DON

Nothing is guaranteed.  Cruises change itineraries all the time, even while on the cruise itself.  Even in pre-pandemic times cruise lines cruise lines needed something more than "I don't like my tour" to cancel and refund monies within booking windows.  That said, have never been refused a tour refund from a cruise line for canceled ship's tour at a missed port.  Have been refused by tour operators/consolidators (Viator).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

see post # 90 - 

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just browsed my excursion options for Ensenada in October 2021.  It says I can do the Princess shore excursion then get dropped off to wander Ensenada before returning to the ship.  Hmmmmmm.

I had similar thoughts when I looked at the excursions for our cruise on Sky Princess which is scheduled to leave Southampton on the 22nd October this year, so rang Princess to see if I could find out any more.  I was told that the excursions only rule is just for the Seacation cruises in UK waters at present and that the original ones are currently on sale for our cruise, (which Princess have not been told they cannot do), but obviously that may be subject to change.  I put the main points I had gleaned during that conversation on our roll call and will also post it below, but please be aware that is for a UK departure and I do not know how that will translate to the US departures, which may of course vary. 

So for our cruise from the UK in October this year I was told that at present:-

1. Official tours info only applies to staycation cruises.
  2. They expect to know before balance payment date what will be required for our cruise re excursions and any itinerary changes.
  3. Balance payment dates have already been put back to two months before the cruises and Princess "has no wish to take balance payments if they may then have to refund all the cash".  (So balances now due late August for those of us who booked direct).
  4. Normal excursions are currently bookable, but will be fully refunded if we wish to cancel ourselves and obviously will be if they cancel them. (I have presumed the T&C's are similar to P&O - we are new to Princess).
  5. If further changes to cruise, (or bal payment date), have not been made when our balance payment is due, we will need to pay, but any cancellation charges will be refundable as a voucher, should we subsequently decide to cancel for our own reasons.  (I knew that was the deal when we first booked, I think it is called their "Book with Confidence" policy - cut off date for that was fairly late if I remember correctly).

Just thought this may be of interest to some on here.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Have you looked at Alaska car rental rates lately?  Outrageous!  $1000/week.

Its not the cruise line making the restrictions, its the country/state/port doing it for the safety and health of their citizens.

NO - it is the cruise ship making the restrictions

• 2 weeks later...

The CDC has announced regulations for excursions according to this article: CDC Will Eliminate Cruise Ship Buffet, Require Organized Shore Excursions (https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24942-cdc-will-eliminate-cruise-ship-buffet-require-organized-shore-excursions.html)

The CDC has also said cruise lines must "prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops. Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate social distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family, mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour."

This would require passengers to buy organized tours through the cruise line ahead of time.

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

Actually takes out of itineraries almost every country in North and South America and Western Europe including parts of the USA such as the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Level 1 countries are:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

Also be aware that some of the Level 1 countries (Australia, New Zealand, China and others) do not allow any tourists to enter at this time.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Actually takes out of itineraries almost every country in North and South America and Western Europe including parts of the USA such as the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Level 1 countries are:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

Also be aware that some of the Level 1 countries (Australia, New Zealand, China and others) do not allow any tourists to enter at this time.

Not much of a cruise left unless you never want to get off the ship until disembarkation.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, Tak8 said:

Not ideal, but to get back on a ship I understand.  Will be interested to see how long it lasts.

Just today I noticed that NCL is already moving away from this stance. Anticipate PCL following suit

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/norwegian-cruise-line-no-more-controlled-shore-excursions

On 4/18/2021 at 11:10 AM, CruzinNoony said:

We have booked a California Coastal cruise in August.  I realize it may or may not sail.  I'm ok with booking Princess shore excursions if I have to.  But, what happens if we book the tours and pay for them and then the cruise is cancelled?  How long will it take for them to refund our money?  

We just put an August California Coastal cruise on hold.  But, we won’t book it if it means not being able to just get off the ship to explore the ports ourselves.  For one thing, we can’t afford all those guided excursions and rarely take them.  But, since we live here in CA, we know what we want to see and don’t really need to be herded around in a group.  We’re not big shoppers except for the occasional souvenir  trinkets for the grandkiddos or ourselves.  I can get used to all the tech on board, although I’ll miss the paper Princess Patter and such.  But, I draw the line at not having the freedom to explore on our own once on land.  I sure hope that changes by August of 2022 when we sail to Alaska out of SF.  Those excursions are pricey!  And again, I’m not even interested in group tours.  

Edited by Linsifer

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not much of a cruise left unless you never want to get off the ship until disembarkation.

To my amazement, there are a lot of people who would be happy to do this - don't ever get off the ship until disembarkation.  Makes no sense to me.

DON

• Like 1

Would ports have enough coaches for all passengers to socially distance ?

Many people just want to wander around the port area, visit local beaches or restaurants.

Others do not wish to pay the over inflated prices for cruiseline tours to be herded together and have to wait for inconsiderate passengers who arrive late at each stop.

Staying onboard could be a preferred option !!!!

34 minutes ago, voljeep said:

WUT ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

35 minutes ago, voljeep said:

WUT ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

I have done some brief internet checks and it does not appear that there is much of a chance of being infected by Covid from touching a piece of paper.  I suspect that Princess is using this bit of Covid misinformation as a means of saving money.  I may be old fashioned some times but it is a lot easier to read a paper Patter than a computer version.  I would tell my cabin steward that I want him to bring me a paper copy of the Patter every day.

DON

• Like 3