P&O Australia have cancelled some cruises up to December 2021.

Our first booked cruise is a Tassie one from Sydney so if Princess does the same as P&O and only cancels NZ and South Pacific itineraries, plus repostioning cruises of course, then I have some hope that there might be a ship or two down here. And if that is the case then there could be some new itineraries released to keep the ship(s) busy in place of the cancelled ones.

The fact that P&O haven't cancelled all their itineraries could be a positive sign.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rkmw said:

We hope you are wrong because if Royal don’t come here in October or November they may not come here for a short season till April 

Unhappily last week we were notified that our Royal Caribbean cruise for late October has been cancelled. Really disappointed, but i was somewhat expecting it.

Just now, RubyRedDeb said:

Unhappily last week we were notified that our Royal Caribbean cruise for late October has been cancelled. Really disappointed, but i was somewhat expecting it.

What date was that? I have one booked for the 27th and haven’t been notified.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It would appear the repositioning of the ships to this region in Sept/Oct is not happening.  Can you check on RCI website? 

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our first booked cruise is a Tassie one from Sydney so if Princess does the same as P&O and only cancels NZ and South Pacific itineraries, plus repostioning cruises of course, then I have some hope that there might be a ship or two down here. And if that is the case then there could be some new itineraries released to keep the ship(s) busy in place of the cancelled ones.

The fact that P&O haven't cancelled all their itineraries could be a positive sign.

Another thing is a lot of the cruises have been sold at full capacity.

we have a couple before Christmas that are just about sold out.

There no way they will let ovation go with 5000 passengers onboard.

So if the ships do come in November what would happen to the 2000 people they have to bump.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There seems to be another wave of panic.

Suspected cases in NSW ,a plane load of suspected cases flew from Perth to Melbourne.  Perth in lockdown.

Another record set in India, something like a person dying every couple of minutes.

Its far from over.

In India 350,000 new positive cases yesterday, 2,500 deceased.  I don't hear of any aid coming from their neighbours Pakistan, albeit there are not too friendly. A few thousand bottles of oxygen and doctors/nurses would be handy.

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So if the ships do come in November what would happen to the 2000 people they have to bump.

And who gets bumped, likewise the Coral Princess world cruise - May 2022, if 2000 tickets sold, who gets bumped? 

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

In India 350,000 new positive cases yesterday, 2,500 deceased.  I don't hear of any aid coming from their neighbours Pakistan, albeit there are not too friendly. A few thousand bottles of oxygen and doctors/nurses would be handy.

And as someone said 350,000 is probably a huge underestimate.

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

And as someone said 350,000 is probably a huge underestimate.

Indeed, some indian dr said yesterday it could be 26 times the given stats.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

And who gets bumped, likewise the Coral Princess world cruise, if 2000 tickets sold, who gets bumped? 

All they could do is cancel the cruise,put the price up heaps and resell it.

Other wise it would be barristers at a 10 paces.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

All they could do is cancel the cruise,put the price up heaps and resell it.

Other wise it would be barristers at a 10 paces.

That would cause an eruption.

34 minutes ago, RubyRedDeb said:

We have a b2b2b on the Ovation in November and that’s not cancelled as yet.....most probably still waiting for our Government to make an announcement about the borders reopening 

BTW what cruise are you talking about that’s been cancelled in October because the Ovation has cruises out of Sydney in October and they seem to be going ahead at this stage

Edited by rkmw

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

It would appear the repositioning of the ships to this region in Sept/Oct is not happening.  Can you check on RCI website? 

I would expect repositioning cruises to be cancelled. There is no way ships full of passengers will be allowed to arrive here. But it doesn't necessarily mean the ship isn't coming here. It's too early to call that one.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

That is going to be a very real problem for the cruise lines. I'm fairly sure some of the Princess cruises I looked at and booked were offering all cabins for sale. So if those ships do come here and do some of their original itineraries there are going to be some very unhappy people.

It would have been smarter for the cruise lines to only sell half the cabins initially, then release more closer to the sail date if they were allowed to have a higher passenger count.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That is going to be a very real problem for the cruise lines. I'm fairly sure some of the Princess cruises I looked at and booked were offering all cabins for sale. So if those ships do come here and do some of their original itineraries there are going to be some very unhappy people.

It would have been smarter for the cruise lines to only sell half the cabins initially, then release more closer to the sail date if they were allowed to have a higher passenger count.

They probably wanted the cash flow.

They would probably cancel them add and subtract a few days ,change a port here and there.

Put the price up and blame someone.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is what I am taking away from this as well. I reckon they’ve got some information/are in negotiations to finalize some local cruises from second half of this year. And I’m hoping that this leads to limited international cruises early next year (mostly NZ and then SP). I always feel silly referring to NZ as ‘international’. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I would expect repositioning cruises to be cancelled. There is no way ships full of passengers will be allowed to arrive here. But it doesn't necessarily mean the ship isn't coming here. It's too early to call that one.

For sure. Ships that come here will have to debark all their passengers where every they are (if they are even cruising at that point). Arrive in Australian waters, quarantine and test for 2 weeks and then probably pass some safety stuff/test cruises before taking customers again. 

• Like 1

It is possible that some of the fully booked cruises have got international guests booked on them and we know that they will not be allowed to come to Australia and also when they release the health protocols some people may decide not to sail.  I think there will be some cancelling by guests which will reduce numbers.  Time will tell.

Just now, Ondine said:

It is possible that some of the fully booked cruises have got international guests booked on them and we know that they will not be allowed to come to Australia and also when they release the health protocols some people may decide not to sail.  I think there will be some cancelling by guests which will reduce numbers.  Time will tell.

Great point. I’m curious what portion of booked rooms are non Australian citizens or residents. And as a second question if we’re not cruising between Aus and NZ could and NZ come here and get on a ship doing a local cruise and vice versa considering the Aus-NZ guaranteed residency? 

28 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

Great point. I’m curious what portion of booked rooms are non Australian citizens or residents. And as a second question if we’re not cruising between Aus and NZ could and NZ come here and get on a ship doing a local cruise and vice versa considering the Aus-NZ guaranteed residency? 

Yes, I imagine they could go over either way then join a domestic cruise, which makes it seem a bit silly to cancel Aus/NZ cruises. But NZ may not want the responsibility of dealing with a ship load of Australian passengers if there was an outbreak. 

It's hard to judge what the percentage of international (other than NZ) passengers are who book. Certainly on the three Celebrity NZ cruises we did there was a very high percentage of people from the US, UK and Canada. The Australia Circumnavigation cruise is also popular with overseas travellers.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

34 minutes ago, Ondine said:

And if they still have too many booked I guess there will be a lot of moveover offers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True, the ships will arrive empty or not at all, time will tell. I just hope they don't get stuck anchored in Botany Bay, waiting for Govt approval !!  More like if they don't get govt approval to conduct normal operations, they will not even sail empty to this region.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

True, the ships will arrive empty or not at all, time will tell. I just hope they don't get stuck anchored in Botany Bay, waiting for Govt approval !!  More like if they don't get govt approval to conduct normal operations, they will not even sail empty to this region.

I doubt they'll get approval for what was normal operations pre-Covid but they might get approval for limited cruising under specific conditions, like what is happening in Singapore and Taiwan. Whether that would be financially viable for them is a different matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Chilliburn - apologies, i have made a mistake & posted the incorrect month, our cruise was for 23 - 30th November on Ovation ( not October) 

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Apologies Chiliburn, i have made a mistake & posted the incorrect month, i should have said November, not October...November 23 - 30th. Have also tagged the wrong reply initially ( sorry NSWP) , so not having a great night all round with communication.

• Haha 1

Just now, RubyRedDeb said:

Apologies Chiliburn, i have made a mistake & posted the incorrect month, i should have said November, not October...November 23 - 30th. Have also tagged the wrong reply initially ( sorry NSWP) , so not having a great night all round with communication.

No need to apologise with friends.

‘The 23rd November and the ship? 
That would be Quantum of the seas?