P&O Australia have cancelled some cruises up to December 2021.

45 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Good news about CDC rules for cruising. Perhaps we’ll see a flow on - what US does / Aus does; usually. 🤔

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/6075/

95% capacity .

The CDC must be worried about the law suites, they will be going after the members personally.

Edited by Chiliburn

10 hours ago, possum52 said:

Les, the AZ vaccine is much cheaper than you quoted, governments are paying between $2.15 to $4 per dose. The Pfizer is about $20. I'm not sure how cruise companies would secure the vaccine for their employees, seeing there is a shortage of it.

Leigh

The USA apparently is overstocked with vaccine. They could donate it to the cruise lines. You can see why we got the AZ - cheapest.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

95% capacity .

I believe it said 95% of passengers need to be vaccinated. That will likely be for whatever capacity it is, not that they can sail with 100% capacity if 95% of them are vaccinated. 
So, many lines have stated that they’ll begin at 60% capacity, so 95% of those passengers will still need to be vaccinated. I think NCL proposed increasing by 20% capacity every 30 days so whether it’s month 1, 2 or 3, regardless of capacity they will have to at 95% vaccinations. 

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The USA apparently is overstocked with vaccine. They could donate it to the cruise lines. You can see why we got the AZ - cheapest.

The US turned things around pretty quickly.
It won’t be long before the forums are awash with drinks package threads.

The AZ seems to be a bit of a lemon,it’s good Victoria is going to make the other type.

19 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

I believe it said 95% of passengers need to be vaccinated. That will likely be for whatever capacity it is, not that they can sail with 100% capacity if 95% of them are vaccinated. 
So, many lines have stated that they’ll begin at 60% capacity, so 95% of those passengers will still need to be vaccinated. I think NCL proposed increasing by 20% capacity every 30 days so whether it’s month 1, 2 or 3, regardless of capacity they will have to at 95% vaccinations. 

I bet the US has half the fleet sailing before we have a test.

I hope they get it right ,I’m itching for a cruise from Florida.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Perhsps AZ should start putting a profit markup on their vaccine instead of offering it at cost. Pfizer and the rest must be making huge profits from this pandemic.

And don't forget AZ also allowed their vaccine to be manufactured here which gives Australia a more reliable supply than if it all had to come from overseas. We've already lost 3 million doses of Pfizer because it got redirected to Europe.

It's just a shame that there are very, very rare cases of blood clots with AZ (and at least one other vaccine) as they seem to be acting in the interests of the people instead of their own pockets.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Perhsps AZ should start putting a profit markup on their vaccine instead of offering it at cost. Pfizer and the rest must be making huge profits from this pandemic.

And don't forget AZ also allowed their vaccine to be manufactured here which gives Australia a more reliable supply than if it all had to come from overseas. We've already lost 3 million doses of Pfizer because it got redirected to Europe.

It's just a shame that there are very, very rare cases of blood clots with AZ (and at least one other vaccine) as they seem to be acting in the interests of the people instead of their own pockets.

Thank you for stating this and I wish more people would understand this. AZ vaccine was manufactured and cost kept low to try and make it more accessible for developing countries to buy.

Unfortunately they messed up some information they shared initially after the third phase trail and now everything is whipped up by the media as they have become the medias whipping boy.

Pfizer has had some rare blood clotting issues but you might see one media outlet mention it once and it disappears. With AZ vaccine every media outlet has its in big headlines about a concern and then buried within the article it will give greater details like in the current NSW deaths that they don't think they are linked to the vaccine. 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 5:34 AM, Porky55 said:

This is interesting when RCI are still advertising cruises for sale in Australia from October 21 thru to March/April 22 ………… if what your agent says is true, don’t you think it is unethical for RCI (or any cruise line) to continue taking deposit $$.

And only “loyal customers” are privy to the information you were emailed??

Please let us know if or when RCI do email you with this information and offer/s. 

Cheers.

So I got a call ,

They want our cabin for a family group (it was next to some suites)

We accepted, moved and got a nice incentive .
The price of the cabin looks about 3 times what we paid so they will make money.

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The US turned things around pretty quickly.
It won’t be long before the forums are awash with drinks package threads.

The AZ seems to be a bit of a lemon,it’s good Victoria is going to make the other type.

The Govt gave the AZ to us dinosaurs because it is $2 a pop and we are expendable.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So I got a call ,

The price of the cabin looks about 3 times what we paid so they will make money.

When was this cruise? 

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So I got a call ,

Well there you go, that’s brilliant.…………  😏

Edited by Porky55

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Govt gave the AZ to us dinosaurs because it is $2 a pop and we are expendable.

We got the AZ because it was available. Aust hasn't been able to get delivery of the Pfizer vaccines ordered and paid for. We have the technology to produce the AZ vaccine here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We got the AZ because it was available. Aust hasn't been able to get delivery of the Pfizer vaccines ordered and paid for. We have the technology to produce the AZ vaccine here.

We could have had the Pfizer earlier. It was offered to countries, including Australia, back in June but Scomo didn't place an order until December!

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

We could have had the Pfizer earlier. It was offered to countries, including Australia, back in June but Scomo didn't place an order until December!

But even if he had placed an order earlier we still might not have got it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, they placed orders for 4 different vaccines which seemed to be a good thing at the time to spread any risk in case one vaccine fell over which turned out to be true with the UQ vaccine. The real criticism should be that the Government did not set up a manufacturing facility for the mRNA vaccine in Australia. I recall the Industry Minister being questioned about this issue early in 2020 saying that it would take 12 months to establish and that by then we would be all vaccinated.  

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Disagree, price was the factor,  scomo and the heavies got the pfizer as are the snowflakes going to Tokyo for the big sporting carnival that should be cancelled.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

From the media release quoted below, it looks like the Pfizer vaccine was ordered prior to 5th November.

Date published: 
5 November 2020
Media type: 
Media release
Audience: 
General public

Two more COVID-19 vaccines have been secured for the Australian population under new agreements, bringing the Australian Government’s COVID-19 vaccine investment to more than $3.2 billion.

Under the agreements, Novavax will supply 40 million vaccine doses and Pfizer/BioNTech will provide 10 million vaccine doses, should the vaccines be proven safe and effective.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the Government’s COVID-19 Vaccine and Treatment Strategy had now secured access to four COVID-19 vaccines and over 134 million doses.

“By securing multiple COVID-19 vaccines we are giving Australians the best shot at early access to a vaccine, should trials prove successful,” the Prime Minister said.

“We aren’t putting all our eggs in one basket and we will continue to pursue further vaccines should our medical experts recommend them.

“There are no guarantees that these vaccines will prove successful, however our Strategy puts Australia at the front of the queue, if our medical experts give the vaccines the green light.”

The Novavax and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines are expected to be available in Australia from early to mid 2021 – subject to approval by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) for use in Australia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The Canberra bean counters probably overruled him, lol. Go for the Astra Zeneca they said, look at all the money we can save.

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Disagree, price was the factor,  scomo and the heavies got the pfizer as are the snowflakes going to Tokyo for the big sporting carnival that should be cancelled.

I agree that price was probably a factor in deciding to use the AZ vaccine, but other factors would have been availability, the fact that it can be manufactured in Australia and ease of transportation.

I don't agree with your comment that the dinosaurs are given the AZ vaccine because we are expendable.🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that price was probably a factor in deciding to use the AZ vaccine, but other factors would have been availability, the fact that it can be manufactured in Australia and ease of transportation.

I don't agree with your comment that the dinosaurs are given the AZ vaccine because we are expendable.🙂

Then why wont the government offer us dinosaurs the Pfizer then? We are Cannon fodder like the troops on the Western Front.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Canberra bean counters probably overruled him, lol. Go for the Astra Zeneca they said, look at all the money we can save.

At the time the orders were placed for all four of the possible vaccines there was no guarantee any of them would work.

Have you got shares in Pfizer, Les?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

At the time the orders were placed for all four of the possible vaccines there was no guarantee any of them would work.

Have you got shares in Pfizer, Les?

No Julie, i have no stocks and shares, no investment properties, so am a non tax paying self funded dinosaur.🤣

Anyway Guys, time to get out of the ring and hang up ye olde 🥊 boxing gloves. I have inflicted sufficient collateral damage on CC.😍

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Then why wont the government offer us dinosaurs the Pfizer then? We are Cannon fodder like the troops on the Western Front.

Maybe because most of the Pfizer vaccines Aust has ordered and paid for, have not been delivered because other governments have blocked their export. If older people don't want the AZ vaccine, they don't have to have it. 🙂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Patois said:

The real criticism should be that the Government did not set up a manufacturing facility for the mRNA vaccine in Australia.

I can't help wondering if the CSIRO hadn't been defunded and nobbled over the past 25 years, whether there might not have been a research program on mRNA vaccines already up and running when the pandemic hit.

• Like 2