P&O Australia have cancelled some cruises up to December 2021.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe because most of the Pfizer vaccines Aust has ordered and paid for, have not been delivered because other governments have blocked their export. If older people don't want the AZ vaccine, they don't have to have it. 🙂

With all due respect have you had or are having the AZ?

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I can't help wondering if the CSIRO hadn't been defunded and nobbled over the past 25 years, whether there might not have been a research program on mRNA vaccines already up and running when the pandemic hit.

Agree, CSIRO could have done it, who can we blame? Hawke, Keating, lets blame Labor, lol.

Anyway Guten Nacht, have to cook my dinner, nachos.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Agree, CSIRO could have done it, who can we blame? Hawke, Keating, lets blame Labor, lol.

In the last 25 years, Labor have been in for 6 years and the LNP for 19 years. So I suppose Labor gets 24% of the blame and the LNP 76%. 😁

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. We had the first dose on 13th April with an appointment for the second dose 12 weeks later. We had slight side effects from the vaccination.

Same here. We had AZ last week and booked for 2nd dose in July. I had slight tenderness in my arm and couple of days later a mild night sweat. I think I had more side effects from my flu vaccine I had a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

As reported last weekend post AZ jab I felt like I had been run over by a truck, fatigued, headache, BP shot up to 200/100. Lasted a couple of days. Flu jab a month ago had no side effects at all.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

As reported last weekend post AZ jab I felt like I had been run over by a truck, fatigued, headache, BP shot up to 200/100. Lasted a couple of days. Flu jab a month ago had no side effects at all.

I'm feeling good now. The loss of appetite only lasted 24 hours, the lethargy 48 hours. I went windsurfing yesterday but only stayed out for about 40 minutes and came ashore due to lack of wind. If the wind is good I can usually stay on the water for a couple of hours. Was very tired last night and couldn't stay awake to see the finish of Vera.😱 Woke up 7.00 this morning without needing a toilet visit during the night. Wow. That's about 9+ hours compered to my usual 6 hours.😃 Did have a very mild headache for a while which is something I rarely get. Still a little soreness at jab site but it was never enough to stop me sleeping on that side. Bring on jab #2

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe because most of the Pfizer vaccines Aust has ordered and paid for, have not been delivered because other governments have blocked their export. If older people don't want the AZ vaccine, they don't have to have it. 🙂

We're booked in for our 1st shots on the 19th, a 72yo and me at near77, and bloody glad to get them too. People wouldn't back a horse at the odds of a problem yet they'll knock back a vaccine for something that is at odds to kill them, that they would back, basically about 12/1 in our age group.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Was very tired last night and couldn't stay awake to see the finish of Vera.😱

Amazing, Vera has the same effect on my DW. She jokingly says, that if she needs a sleep, just put on Vera.🙂

Well I guess that I win on AZ so far. Flu symptoms in the first 24 hours but only lasted 5 hours. Then vomiting and diarrhea for another 5 hours. A bit lethargic but started my road trip anyway. Now in Newcastle staying with best friends then off to Mudgee and wineries on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Well I guess that I win on AZ so far. Flu symptoms in the first 24 hours but only lasted 5 hours. Then vomiting and diarrhea for another 5 hours. A bit lethargic but started my road trip anyway. Now in Newcastle staying with best friends then off to Mudgee and wineries on Wednesday. 

My girlfriend had vomiting also - the only one in her group - but also felt cold, with a headache.  

So, P&O Aus made it official today - but only to end of Sept, for now 🤔

CANCELLED CRUISE UPDATES

At P&O Cruises Australia the health, safety and well-being of our guests, our loyal crew and the communities we visit is our top priority. As we continue to take guidance from international & local government authorities, public health experts and the broader community, we have implemented a temporary pause in operations for all departures on and before 17 September 2021.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The current ban is until 17 th June, we should expect it to be extended another 3 months soon.

P&O Australia chose to - this morning - to the 17th Sept. 

What date the Government gives is a whole other story ……………

https://www.pocruises.com.au/news-centre/notices-advisories

Edited by Porky55

Well this isn't good! I've read some news recently that the government are looking to get small ship cruising going but aren't yet keen on large ships. 

Next to zero community transmission of covid locally, all international arrivals going into HQ, and climbing numbers or vaccinated Australians. Wonder what's gonna make them comfortable to pull the trigger.  

2 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

Wonder what's gonna make them comfortable to pull the trigger.  

An election.

They've seen several state governments get back with increased majorities because voters seem to be happy with their handling of the pandemic.

It's just too politically risky to allow a ship go to sea and come back full of covid until after the next election.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's just too politically risky to allow a ship go to sea and come back full of covid until after the next election.

Yeah I get that fear, but I also don't logistically understand how that could happen in the context of Australia. Presumably Australian cruises will:

- be limited to Australian citizen's and residents. Maybe also NZ ppl. (This means that the only people that are cruising will have a ridiculously LOW chance of having covid in the first place) 

- be limited to Australian ports and maybe NZ ports as well (Neither of which have or are likely to have uncontrolled community outbreak issues)

- be staffed by people that have spent at least 14 days in quarantine

- include rapid covid testing prior to boarding for passengers

- include rapid covid test during the cruise for passengers

- include frequent covid testing of crew members

Given all of that, I just don't see how it would even be possible for a ship to become 'full of covid' given the extremely low local risk of covid, and the health and testing protocols that the lines would have in place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by VanessaNJ

2 hours ago, VanessaNJ said:

Yeah I get that fear, but I also don't logistically understand how that could happen in the context of Australia. Presumably Australian cruises will:

- be limited to Australian citizen's and residents. Maybe also NZ ppl. (This means that the only people that are cruising will have a ridiculously LOW chance of having covid in the first place) 

- be limited to Australian ports and maybe NZ ports as well (Neither of which have or are likely to have uncontrolled community outbreak issues)

- be staffed by people that have spent at least 14 days in quarantine

- include rapid covid testing prior to boarding for passengers

- include rapid covid test during the cruise for passengers

- include frequent covid testing of crew members

Given all of that, I just don't see how it would even be possible for a ship to become 'full of covid' given the extremely low local risk of covid, and the health and testing protocols that the lines would have in place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we ever get a bill of rights ????

Right number 1 should be a right to cruise .

The right to have a onboard credit.
‘The right to have a suite.

And the right to party.

But we haven’t got a bill of rights, we are here of the whims of bureaucrats.

9 hours ago, VanessaNJ said:

Given all of that, I just don't see how it would even be possible for a ship to become 'full of covid' given the extremely low local risk of covid, and the health and testing protocols that the lines would have in place

Agree entirely with what you say, but ………… perhaps Sinbad is correct and it will take an election, if so let’s just do it and get life happening again 😉

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

But we haven’t got a bill of rights, we are here of the whims of bureaucrats.

We don’t have a “bill of rights” as we are Australian (not Americans) 🇦🇺 
You watch too much tv Chili 😳🤓

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

We don’t have a “bill of rights” as we are Australian (not Americans) 🇦🇺 
You watch too much tv Chili 😳🤓

Well what ever you call it.

Then why is the federal court having a special rushed case within 48 hours for that old bloke who is stuck in India .

A legal team is taking Greg Hunt to court on behalf of some old bloke in India that wants to come home.( Plus the other 9000 ???)

He hasn’t committed a crime,his life is in peril and he can’t return home to his country of citizenship.

I think his rights as a Australian have been breached.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Well what ever you call it.

Then why is the federal court having a special rushed case within 48 hours for that old bloke who is stuck in India .

A legal team is taking Greg Hunt to court on behalf of some old bloke in India that wants to come home.( Plus the other 9000 ???)

He hasn’t committed a crime,his life is in peril and he can’t return home to his country of citizenship.

I think his rights as a Australian have been breached.

The temporary halt on people entering Australia from India was imposed to protect the Australian public. Cases that have occurred in Australia have all (or virtually all) resulted from the infection spreading from our quarantine facilities. Should these facilities be up-graded or should different facilities be used? 

Many of the people wanting to return to Australia went overseas during the pandemic. Medical authorities here and overseas warned that the situation could deteriorate, but they took the chance. The reason no people can come into Australia at the moment from India, is the large number of COVID positive people in quarantine in Australia. Because the system is experiencing problems, a temporary halt has been imposed. Maybe by the time this ends, there will be sufficient vacancies in quarantine to allow some returnees.

Many of those who are quoted in the media are not Australian citizens, but permanent residents.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The temporary halt on people entering Australia from India was imposed to protect the Australian public. Cases that have occurred in Australia have all (or virtually all) resulted from the infection spreading from our quarantine facilities. Should these facilities be up-graded or should different facilities be used? 

Many of the people wanting to return to Australia went overseas during the pandemic. Medical authorities here and overseas warned that the situation could deteriorate, but they took the chance. The reason no people can come into Australia at the moment from India, is the large number of COVID positive people in quarantine in Australia. Because the system is experiencing problems, a temporary halt has been imposed. Maybe by the time this ends, there will be sufficient vacancies in quarantine to allow some returnees.

Many of those who are quoted in the media are not Australian citizens, but permanent residents.

Exactly! 

And unfortunately these days there are selfish, self-entitled people who think they are more important than everyone in Australia and who are determined to return to Australia from India regardless of the temporary ban, by transiting through other countries. That's why the government warned of heavy fines and/or prison sentences if they get caught. And then, naturally, the sensationalist media has done a big beat-up of the whole thing, and blown it right out of proportion and perspective.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2