P&O Australia have cancelled some cruises up to December 2021.

52 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I don't agree it's unethical sell a cruise if the intention is to cruise if possible, if not on the advertised date, at future date. It's business.

I disagree with you on this one.  I believe it is unethical to sell a cruise if the company knows they won't be cruising on that date.  I make travel decisions for a particular date, not a possible future date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I don't agree it's unethical sell a cruise if the intention is to cruise if possible, if not on the advertised date, at future date. It's business. They need cash flow to literally stay afloat

And I agree with you. We have both 22 and 23 World cruises booked and two others in 2022.

What I think is unethical is an agent that said:

“that over the next few days Royal Caribbean will email and be offering a cruise credit for bookings in the coming 2021-2022 season.” 

This implies a prior knowledge of something - and if they are just guessing and attempting to get the loyal customer to book cruises out into 22/23 - well, a touch unethical 🤔

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

Unethical or potentially illegal. According to ACCC:

Accepting payment without intending to supply

Under the Australian Consumer Law, businesses must not accept payment for products or services if:

• they do not intend to supply them
  • they intend to supply materially different products or services
  • they know, or should have known, they would not be able to supply the products or services within the timeframe indicated or if no timeframe was provided, within a reasonable time.

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

And I agree with you. We have both 22 and 23 World cruises booked and two others in 2022.

What I think is unethical is an agent that said:

“that over the next few days Royal Caribbean will email and be offering a cruise credit for bookings in the coming 2021-2022 season.” 

This implies a prior knowledge of something - and if they are just guessing and attempting to get the loyal customer to book cruises out into 22/23 - well, a touch unethical 🤔

These cruise credits as a refund are a joke, what if someone did not want to cruise anymore, the credits would be worthless.  Give me the Cash !!!

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

These cruise credits as a refund are a joke, what if someone did not want to cruise anymore, the credits would be worthless.  Give me the Cash !!!

Not just the cruise lines, my girlfriend has credit for two business class flights to Vancouver from

Sydney.  Original tickets were from Brisbane.  Not that they will be going on another Alaska cruise via Vancouver!!

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Unethical or potentially illegal. According to ACCC:

Accepting payment without intending to supply

Under the Australian Consumer Law, businesses must not accept payment for products or services if:

• they do not intend to supply them
  • they intend to supply materially different products or services
  • they know, or should have known, they would not be able to supply the products or services within the timeframe indicated or if no timeframe was provided, within a reasonable time.

Thank you.  Clearly illegal.  I can't understand how Aust Consumer Affairs hasn't called the cruise lines, who do this, out!

51 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think with Princess if you don't use the FCC it gets refunded to you after it expires, just like the FCDs. Since each one is only $100pp and you get a bit extra with choosing the FCC option I'm happy to leave them with Princess. You don't get the extra bit refunded though.

I just let the FCD deposit from a couple of cruises stay as FCC. One we've used for a 2023 cruise but now I have another one to use. Unfortunately they don't come through immediately the cruise is cancelled, there is a considerable delay, so they aren't always in my account when I want them. I would have liked to have booked the Round Australia cruise for late 2022, in case the March 22 one is cancelled, but I decided to use the FCC for Hawaii/Tahiti in 2023 instead. If the March 22 cruise is cancelled I'll just have to hope I can pick up a cancellation for the other 2022 circumnavigation as the second FCC didn't turn up until that cruise was booked out.

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If the March 22 cruise is cancelled I'll just have to hope I can pick up a cancellation for the other 2022 circumnavigation as the second FCC didn't turn up until that cruise was booked out.

Can you place your name on a waitlist?

I feel like this is all much ado about nothing right now. All we have is a vague paraphrasing of a vague email from one TA to a traveller. Perhaps all they were saying was that they were extending the FCC validity which has now been confirmed. This is simply the responsible And smart thing to do. If they didn’t they’d lose customers for forever. It’s a no brainer, and not a strong indicator or predictor that the entire October 21 - March 22 season is cancelled. Let’s not catastrophize something that hasn’t happened yet. 

On 4/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, Chiliburn said:

There seems to be another wave of panic.

Suspected cases in NSW ,a plane load of suspected cases flew from Perth to Melbourne.  Perth in lockdown.

Another record set in India, something like a person dying every couple of minutes.

Its far from over.

All those Indian crew on the cruiseships!!!

4 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

I feel like this is all much ado about nothing right now. All we have is a vague paraphrasing of a vague email from one TA to a traveller. Perhaps all they were saying was that they were extending the FCC validity which has now been confirmed. This is simply the responsible And smart thing to do. If they didn’t they’d lose customers for forever. It’s a no brainer, and not a strong indicator or predictor that the entire October 21 - March 22 season is cancelled. Let’s not catastrophize something that hasn’t happened yet. 

You could be right.

7 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

I think you have succinctly summed up Australia in 2021. Whinge & whine about everything.

What happened to she'll be right!

I for one am very grateful to be here in Australia & looking at most things with a glass half full view. Hanrahan has taken over it seems for so many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanessaNJ said:

Vanessa

Do you think the next cruise season will happen.

Ships at full capacity with the virus raging around the world.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Vanessa

Do you think the next cruise season will happen.

Ships at full capacity with the virus raging around the world.

will the next season happen? No idea. Will it go ahead exactly as scheduled? Probably not. Am I gonna lose my head and assume that absolutely everything is cancelled because of a whisper of a rumor? Nope. 

Ships at full capacity? Based on active cruises elsewhere and those in Europe starting from July pretty; it’s pretty much a guaranteed no to start with. 

27 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

will the next season happen? No idea. Will it go ahead exactly as scheduled? Probably not. Am I gonna lose my head and assume that absolutely everything is cancelled because of a whisper of a rumor? Nope. 

Ships at full capacity? Based on active cruises elsewhere and those in Europe starting from July pretty; it’s pretty much a guaranteed no to start with. 

I’m just relaying a email for the forum to digest.

We all like to share anything we have and if I have something I will share it.

The next season isn’t going to happen, our government won’t let thousands of people on a ship for a week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The next season isn’t going to happen, our government won’t let thousands of people on a ship for a week.

And this I totally agree with 👏👏

Not ‘losing my head’ about it either 😂🤣

21 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Wondering if P&O UK are paying to vaccinate these crews?

I would say so. Not that much cost, AZ vaccine is about $20 so 1000 shots would be 20 grand, not that much for the giant Carnival Corp. But then wiith AZ two required so 40 grand, plus the 3 month gap between the two, better get started, the uk seacation cruises start in July.

P and O uk are a great line, I have sailed with them several times, great traditions.

Rule Brittannia.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would say so. Not that much cost, AZ vaccine is about $20 so 1000 shots would be 20 grand, not that much for the giant Carnival Corp. But then wiith AZ two required so 40 grand, plus the 3 month gap between the two, better get started, the uk seacation cruises start in July.

P and O uk are a great line, I have sailed with them several times, great traditions.

Rule Brittannia.

Les, the AZ vaccine is much cheaper than you quoted, governments are paying between $2.15 to $4 per dose. The Pfizer is about $20. I'm not sure how cruise companies would secure the vaccine for their employees, seeing there is a shortage of it.

Leigh

• Like 1