CDC

Cruising is still 4 months away. A lot could change, hopefully for the better. 

As for when or where cruise ships need to comply with CDC “guidelines “. As was mentioned, the Voyager was out of US waters for 3 years. When they then ported in US the ship was then subjected to an inspection by some US authority. I believe that evidence of noncompliance with health regulations could have resulted in being denied into the port. 

I would be surprised if Regent wants to wait and see if they get to port or not in the US based on noncompliance with CDC guidelines. 

I also believe (hopefully) that CDC guidelines will be more lenient as more data on COVID and vaccinations become available.  They are revising guidelines as they get more data. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

Cruising is still 4 months away. A lot could change, hopefully for the better. 

As for when or where cruise ships need to comply with CDC “guidelines “. As was mentioned, the Voyager was out of US waters for 3 years. When they then ported in US the ship was then subjected to an inspection by some US authority. I believe that evidence of noncompliance with health regulations could have resulted in being denied into the port. 

I would be surprised if Regent wants to wait and see if they get to port or not in the US based on noncompliance with CDC guidelines. 

I also believe (hopefully) that CDC guidelines will be more lenient as more data on COVID and vaccinations become available.  They are revising guidelines as they get more data. 

Thank you, this make sense to me.  Nicely written.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:00 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Hmmm? Did you recently stop being inconvenienced by mask requirements in Philadelphia? We found ourselves much more inconvenienced than we expect to be on a Regent cruise.

We had to fly to Philadelphia to attend a memorial service in Allentown on the first weekend in May. In the church, we had to wear masks even through the seating was limited and very spread out. We are fully vaccinated, as were all of our relatives who attended. Church members who knew our sister very well since she had worked there , as well as attended the church, were only allowed to come within 6 feet of us, and masks were required everywhere within the church.

We spent most of our time in Philadelphia since we couldn't get a flight back to Fort Myers until Monday. Everywhere we went we were expected to wear masks. Restaurants and hotel lobbies required them. Included hotel breakfasts had to be picked up to-go in the lobby and taken back to our room. No room service was provided. If you needed a clean towel or toilet paper we would need to ask at the front desk.

Masks were even required outside. That included a long walk that we took at the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum. About half of those we encountered ignored that, while we did not.

We were very happy to return to Florida where we aren't inconvenienced.

Yep, sounds like Philadelphia indeed. Although in the last few days people seem to have started awakening and thankfully are ditching the mask at least while walking outside. And because I find these restrictions oppressive I certainly wouldnt sign up for a cruise where I'm expected to wear a mask in all public areas, maybe including the pool deck! 

By the way, a couple of weeks ago I stayed at a hotel in The Villages, FL. Masks were required in the public areas and no room service or housekeeping was provided . But yes, once outside the hotel freedom is palpable. Can't wait to move there!

• Like 2

Interesting to hear about hotels cutting service and using the pandemic as an excuse. We were on a fairly short flight a couple of weeks ago and the flight announced Thai in cabin service was reduced due to the pandemic. I hope cruise lines don’t do the same.

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Interesting to hear about hotels cutting service and using the pandemic as an excuse. We were on a fairly short flight a couple of weeks ago and the flight announced Thai in cabin service was reduced due to the pandemic. I hope cruise lines don’t do the same.

There wouldn't be much point to that, would there, Richard?  Regent customers know what they want, and if they don't get it, they simply wouldn't be back.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, BBWC said:

Looks like the CDC is on a roll:

No masks or distancing for fully vaccinated, and even self-service buffets may return.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25113-cdc-significantly-relaxes-cruise-rules-for-fully-vaccinated-passengers.html

I wish they wouldn't bring back the buffets (self-serve or otherwise) - never been a fan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

I believe that with Regent you can go to a full service restaurant for every meal except maybe for lunch on boarding days.

Scout - Exactly.  On Regent, we all have choices.  🙂  There's no need for anyone to go to a buffet if they don't want to.  They can even eat in their own stateroom.

• Like 1

Only good part of the buffet for us is that part of it becomes Sette Mari for dinner.  We love the Italian trattoria atmosphere to it, and the fact that we can have dinner al fresco if the weather is good.  Otherwise, we do not frequent the buffet at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I admit I have enjoyed the pool deck buffets, usually with a theme, like seafood, or Mexican.  I can live without them, but will miss that.

We enjoyed the special pool deck buffets, as well.  It was the “buffet” we could live without.  Too much food and too many people crowded together.

Our nice lunch at the pool grill after boarding is not a buffet. They have always offered a small menu of sandwiches and I believe a salad and is serve to you at your table.  We arrive sit down at a table get served a drink and order a meal

• Like 1