Opinion on E and S-Class Retreat Experience

Denny01

22 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

😁....If your private school blazer still fits....then good on you!  Wear it with pride, but not sure about the ascot thingy.

No jacket older than 5yrs is going to ‘fit’ around a certain circumference. 

Den

• Haha 1

I loved Edge, even dealing with an ill dog while we were doing a TA.  Our butler allowed us to call the animal hospital each day for updates...she was in great hands, but the bill was a whiplash; however, she was worth it!  You never know when you will need those extra services, but in a suite, life is much easier.  We did our first suite many years ago, but we also enjoy an SV if it is a b2b itinerary with the TA last.  Usually that first cruise is port intensive, and we have something special coming up...you will love the experience, feel pampered and the chef can even make you a special meal in Luminae.  With all my canceled cruises, my travel fund is higher than it has ever been, but so are the prices.

Edited by Lastdance

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

OK, after reading the excellent posts here, and working with my TA, I’ve selected Edge as our 2022 TransAtlantic cruise. Decided if going Retreat, then do it on an E-Class from the info all of you provided. And for me, Edge has an itinerary we haven’t been to with calls in Corsica and Gibraltar. Love to stop in Bermuda and it ends in FLL. 

Beyond looks Very interesting and will try it in 2023. 

Really looking forward to the Retreat. We’ve never gone there because we’ve cruised with friends and family many times, or went balcony because it met our needs and we enjoyed MDR just fine. And of course cost when we’d estimate a Suite would equal 2 to 3 cruises and that was a big part of ‘the decider’ for us. 

But now, well we’d like to experience it, and we have a bit more flexibility in spending on cruising, we’ll give it a go. And although all of us were enjoying talking about once you step into Suites, you won’t go back, we will save this type experience for special times when we cruise on our own and the focus is on the ship at sea. 

Funny, for me what helped nudge me over was signing up for Viking Expedition Great Lakes cruises and realizing that baby was the same cost as a X Suite’s and here I was jumping on that one. It helped put things into perspective for us. 

I know a few people see the Retreat/Suite set up as being some exclusive snob club, but through 40+ cruises, Ive run into more ‘snobs’ who look down on anyone who spend more than they do on pretty much anything. Funny isn’t it. 

Well, I better break out my Ascot and linen pants with my Private School Blazer and be ready!!

thank you all for helping me. And keep posting because I see others tracking this so they can get good info. 

Den

Hope you have a great trip!  Can't wait to hear all about it after!

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

I’ll be sure to post a review. 

Den

You sure you don't want to upgrade to an iconic suite and take a bunch of us with you?🤣 

Can't wait for the review.

Edited by Shadow9612

45 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

You sure you don't want to upgrade to an iconic suite and take a bunch of us with you?🤣 

Can't wait for the review.

Great idea!…….oops, I just checked and the Iconic Suite is not avail on this cruise. too Bad, maybe next time. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Denny01 said:

OK, after reading the excellent posts here, and working with my TA, I’ve selected Edge as our 2022 TransAtlantic cruise. Decided if going Retreat, then do it on an E-Class from the info all of you provided. And for me, Edge has an itinerary we haven’t been to with calls in Corsica and Gibraltar. Love to stop in Bermuda and it ends in FLL. 

Beyond looks Very interesting and will try it in 2023. 

Really looking forward to the Retreat. We’ve never gone there because we’ve cruised with friends and family many times, or went balcony because it met our needs and we enjoyed MDR just fine. And of course cost when we’d estimate a Suite would equal 2 to 3 cruises and that was a big part of ‘the decider’ for us. 

But now, well we’d like to experience it, and we have a bit more flexibility in spending on cruising, we’ll give it a go. And although all of us were enjoying talking about once you step into Suites, you won’t go back, we will save this type experience for special times when we cruise on our own and the focus is on the ship at sea. 

Funny, for me what helped nudge me over was signing up for Viking Expedition Great Lakes cruises and realizing that baby was the same cost as a X Suite’s and here I was jumping on that one. It helped put things into perspective for us. 

I know a few people see the Retreat/Suite set up as being some exclusive snob club, but through 40+ cruises, Ive run into more ‘snobs’ who look down on anyone who spend more than they do on pretty much anything. Funny isn’t it. 

Well, I better break out my Ascot and linen pants with my Private School Blazer and be ready!!

thank you all for helping me. And keep posting because I see others tracking this so they can get good info. 

Den

Den - I think you will be VERY pleased with your decision, and as others have said, be prepared to never return to a non-suite cabin, Retreat amenities are so amazing.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Den - I think you will be VERY pleased with your decision, and as others have said, be prepared to never return to a non-suite cabin, Retreat amenities are so amazing.  

Thank you LGW59. This makes the TA cruise very special for us. And I can see this will cost us a few more bucks beyond just this cruise, ha! The only saving grace will be when we travel with friends or decide some itinerary is too port-intensive to book Retreat level…..but who knows, I just Love helping my friends spend more money than they planned!!

My wife and I teach a travel class in a program that has 60+ classes, usually seniors take them, and we get 25+ students. Should be fun when we ‘help’ them by explaining the positives of upgrades. They love the one class when I wife shows how to pack effectively and I stand to the side showing how Not to pack effectively….wading up things because they are dirty doesn’t seem to work well. 

Den

• Haha 1

OK, another Retreat question. Dining at Lumanae. Do we let our Butler know what time we want? Do we walk in as we wish or is there set dining times? Are we assigned a table or are we seated at various places. Do you usually dine as a couple or can we be added to anothers’ table or others join us?

Den 

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

OK, another Retreat question. Dining at Lumanae. Do we let our Butler know what time we want? Do we walk in as we wish or is there set dining times? Are we assigned a table or are we seated at various places. Do you usually dine as a couple or can we be added to anothers’ table or others join us?

Den 

In my experiences in Luminae on M and S class ships, the answers would be: (1) no need to talk to the butler, just show up whenever you are ready; (2) no assigned tables per se, although they may have a tendency to seat you in the same area - but note that I have seen a few people who ALWAYS seemed to be at the same table - maybe by special request?; (3) we generally dined as a couple but on occasion if we happened to arrive at the same time as someone we had talked to previously (in Luminae, or on an excursion, or in Michael's Club), we would ask to be seated together.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

Den 

Congrats on booking your first Celebrity suite!  I think that the Retreat elevates your cruise experience.  I have never made a reservation at Luminae.  One of the great pros of Luminae is dining at a time that fits my schedule.  I will say that some times can be busier than others.  The host and wait staff are very accomodating as to dining with others.  And usually after dining once or twice, the wait staff usually remember your preferences.

Den 

Never made a res at Luminae, Den, also never asked the butler to assist.  Just showed up and almost always within 10 mins or so we were seated

Great. Thanks guys. Just think, dining when you are ready, what a concept! This is getting dangerous. Looks like I’ll have to rethink that ‘only taking Retreat on long at-sea days’ itineraries!

What’s so funny, is its me who did this to me….well, I saw the Beyond presentation and started getting sucked into the Retreat idea, then my very persuasive TA started looking at actual bookings, and here I am. 

thanks again to all. You guys are really a great help. It’s almost as if after 40+ cruises, I’m a newbie and getting to experience all this new stuff! I also have to back off the ‘!’s’. 

Den

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den 

We have never made a reservation per se but we do try and eat at the same time we normally dine at home.   The first night I normally tell the maitre ‘d that we would like to eat at 6:30 pm each night.  When we show up each night we have been seated almost immediately and as others have said, are at the same table or in close proximity so we have the same waitstaff each night.