What is Your Favorite Appetizers you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

This exchange about liverwurst and braunschweiger caused me to do some research on the difference between the two.  My conclusion:  not a whole lot.  Smeared on whatever; sliced and served on whatever.  It's an individual choice.    The contents of each differs somewhat; how they are prepared differs somewhat.  What I am able to buy has been boiled and is in a plastic casing that I need to remove before eating rather than having been smoked and is in a natural casing that is edible.  

Guess what is on my shopping list for my next trip to the grocery?  

I do agree with natural casing and plastic covering. Here neither is edible and needs to be peeled.

I prefer LiverW to BraunW since it is more fresher tasting. As said in the past, BraunW I like on cocktail rye size. Bit of onion below and drop of mustard on top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi gang,

I’m here…recuperating.  They moved me from the ICU last night.  I went in Monday at 6:00 AM and was out after 12:00 Noon. They cracked my chest and did a fantastic job with my triple bypass.  I was very weak and sore for the first 5 days.  Tonight I was able to walk a great distance with a walker.  I think I’ll be going home in two more days.   Then I will put the full press on for a new kidney!  Then it will be TIME FOR A CRUISE!!

All the best to all of you,

CGT

Thanks BB,

It’s going to be one helluva party…for sure!  Let’s hope for better weather tomorrow.  Love the Pops and the Washington celebration…and the fireworks.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi gang,

I’m here…recuperating.  They moved me from the ICU last night.  I went in Monday at 6:00 AM and was out after 12:00 Noon. They cracked my chest and did a fantastic job with my triple bypass.  I was very weak and sore for the first 5 days.  Tonight I was able to walk a great distance with a walker.  I think I’ll be going home in two more days.   Then I will put the full press on for a new kidney!  Then it will be TIME FOR A CRUISE!!

CGT

Good morning, I was thinking about you all week.........glad you are doing better🙂

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi gang,

CGT

Thanks for letting us know!  Good news for certain!  Best wishes for a speedy, continuous recovery!  

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Harry and Lucille said:

At times, I don"t care for the menu choices and I am not a large eater so I order shrimp cocktail or two, escargo when available.small plate of assorted cheeses, tossed salad with cheese dressing, crisp bread rolls and a glass of wine. Just wait for dessert.

I have done the same, although I have not ordered a plate of cheese.  If there is a particular soup being offered, I would probably order that as well.  

A first world problem to be sure:  but those evenings when there are 2-3 or more appetizers and 2-3 entrees on the same menu:  decisions, decisions, decisions!  😧

I have done the same, although I have not ordered a plate of cheese.  If there is a particular soup being offered, I would probably order that as well.  

A first world problem to be sure:  but those evenings when there are 2-3 or more appetizers and 2-3 entrees on the same menu:  decisions, decisions, decisions!  😧

I have often made up an entire meal from the appetizers.  When you don’t feel like eating a lot and the main menu doesn’t appeal…the small appetizer plates fill the bill.  

• Like 1

Mom sometimes liked to order App's for dinner.

Dad liked to order 2 App's, Soup and then Entree with a good appetite.

DW and I typical can open our mind to a typical meal. One App's/Salad/Soup and Entree w Dessert to end. Some salad prep's we get can be a meal in itself.

Selections with moderation..

I keep thinking about this thread and keep having different thoughts.

Valid for others or not, I have learned that when I order a soup as an appetizer on my first night's dinner of a cruise, the preparation and taste of that soup has been a fairly reliable gauge as to the quality of the cuisine that I will experience during the rest of the cruise.  

Any thoughts by others?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I keep thinking about this thread and keep having different thoughts.

Valid for others or not, I have learned that when I order a soup as an appetizer on my first night's dinner of a cruise, the preparation and taste of that soup has been a fairly reliable gauge as to the quality of the cuisine that I will experience during the rest of the cruise.  

Any thoughts by others?  

Maybe but also it can be different since the first night is very busy and you hope they produce good quality.

By the other nights they have settled down in the kitchen. Also the hustle and bustle of new passengers boarding.

I always gauge the sailing from day 2 on. 

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Maybe but also it can be different since the first night is very busy and you hope they produce good quality.

By the other nights they have settled down in the kitchen. Also the hustle and bustle of new passengers boarding.

I always gauge the sailing from day 2 on. 

So many things are going on the first night.  You have crew changes as some of the crew go onshore and are replaced with new crew members.  Same for the galley crew.  And who knows how many are hung over from shore parties.  I just avoid the MDR on first night…too much chaos.  First night is a great time to try one of the specialty restaurants.  They usually are willing to give you a discount as many pax don’t choose to go on first night.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

So many things are going on the first night.  You have crew changes as some of the crew go onshore and are replaced with new crew members.  Same for the galley crew.  And who knows how many are hung over from shore parties.  I just avoid the MDR on first night…too much chaos.  First night is a great time to try one of the specialty restaurants.  They usually are willing to give you a discount as many pax don’t choose to go on first night.

CGT

I do agree with you in some points but we like to attend the first evening to get to know the Maitre D of the restaurant/section of the restaurant and the waiters. As if you were invited to dinner and not show up. Granted I again agree with you but would leave the Alter Rest's for during the sailing.

As I said once before, we had an experience once on the first night being in a core area that was too confusing and bulk of tables/people. Next night we moved to another area a bit quiet and it was Smooth Sailing the rest of the trip. We even watched the other area and we moved at the right time. Others wanted to and it was too late.

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

I do agree with you in some points but we like to attend the first evening to get to know the Maitre D of the restaurant/section of the restaurant and the waiters. As if you were invited to dinner and not show up. Granted I again agree with you but would leave the Alter Rest's for during the sailing.

As I said once before, we had an experience once on the first night being in a core area that was too confusing and bulk of tables/people. Next night we moved to another area a bit quiet and it was Smooth Sailing the rest of the trip. We even watched the other area and we moved at the right time. Others wanted to and it was too late.

I always advise the Maitre D or the waiters that we will not be dining.  Sometimes I call and sometimes I go down in person.  I once had an experience on RCI Jewel where we were seated next to the kitchen doors and had a steady stream of waiters going and coming.  I had to have 4 of us moved.  They told me that it would be impossible.  Fortunately I was in the Royal Suite.  The next evening we had a table next to the Captains Table…lol.  This is when, on future cruises, I decided to visit the MD before the first dinner.  If I were on the QM2 it would be different…but on the mass market lines I prefer to stay away the first night.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

First night is a great time to try one of the specialty restaurants.  They usually are willing to give you a discount as many pax don’t choose to go on first night.

If I have chosen open dining, this is an ideal time for a specialty restaurant visit.  Food, service, and often a discount on both food and wine is an extra added attraction.  I have experienced this situation in both HAL's Pinnacle Grill as well as in the Steakhouses on Carnival.  Carnival's have been the best experience each time that I have done this.  

On 7/29/2021 at 8:28 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

we like to attend the first evening to get to know the Maitre D of the restaurant/section of the restaurant and the waiters

My reason as well.  Plus, I want to meet my tablemates are if I am on fixed seating.  If there is a dedicated Wine Steward, I want to meet him and inform him that I don't want my wine glass to be left empty for an inordinate period of time.  

If I have chosen open dining, this is an ideal time for a specialty restaurant visit.  Food, service, and often a discount on both food and wine is an extra added attraction.  I have experienced this situation in both HAL's Pinnacle Grill as well as in the Steakhouses on Carnival.  Carnival's have been the best experience each time that I have done this.  

You can get great discounts in the specialty restaurants on the first night.  They are desperate to fill those empty seats as most inexperienced pax choose other nights to dine there.  I have heard of 25-30% discounts.  I’d go for that anytime!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You can get great discounts in the specialty restaurants on the first night.  They are desperate to fill those empty seats as most inexperienced pax choose other nights to dine there.  I have heard of 25-30% discounts.  I’d go for that anytime!

We are looking forward to trying the Golden Lion for Embarkation lunch the next time instead of heading to the Kings Court Buffet on the QM2.

We are also not so attracted to the theme alternate dinner in the Kings Court due to it's cuisine. Verandah yes for Steaks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We are looking forward to trying the Golden Lion for Embarkation lunch the next time instead of heading to the Kings Court Buffet on the QM2.

We are also not so attracted to the theme alternate dinner in the Kings Court due to it's cuisine. Verandah yes for Steaks. 

You certainly know your way around the QM2 BB.  The QM2 is definitely on my bucket list.  My step brother is a retired airline pilot.  He was able to book the Windsor Suite on. European cruise a few years back.  The pictures were fantastic…what an experience!  It will be a pleasure to check out the current deck plans to see where you are going.

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You certainly know your way around the QM2 BB.  The QM2 is definitely on my bucket list.  My step brother is a retired airline pilot.  He was able to book the Windsor Suite on. European cruise a few years back.  The pictures were fantastic…what an experience!  It will be a pleasure to check out the current deck plans to see where you are going.

CGT

After the number of times we've been on the Mary.... she is a piece of cake to navigate for sure.

The idea is to get to the pier early that day. Check In and board at 12 when they open the ship. Drop of carry on in cabin. Head to Kings Court/Golden Lion/Carinthia Lounge for Embark Nosh.

By 12:30 you have started the cruise and not 5 or 6 when she leaves the pier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

After the number of times we've been on the Mary.... she is a piece of cake to navigate for sure.

The idea is to get to the pier early that day. Check In and board at 12 when they open the ship. Drop of carry on in cabin. Head to Kings Court/Golden Lion/Carinthia Lounge for Embark Nosh.

By 12:30 you have started the cruise and not 5 or 6 when she leaves the pier.

Thanks for the tip BB.  It’s been 43 years since we sailed on Cunard from or to NY.  It will probably take another couple of years but that’s what bucket lists are for!  I’m sure the QM2 will be there when we are ready.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Is the Pub Menu offered on Embarkation Day?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is the Pub Menu offered on Embarkation Day?  

As we have heard yes. We have in the past gone to the KC and this time we are going to attempt to go to the Pub instead. Had the KC so many times we like to try a change.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

the Pub instead

If available, with your experience on QM2, what would suggest to be ordered?  When I was a patron, Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas (UGH!!!) was what I ordered.  The Fish and Chips were great.  I have already expressed my opinion about the Mushy Peas.  

• Like 1

We too like the Fish and Chips and I too am not a Fan of that type of Peas. Given me Peas in Butter or like Mom made, Peas with Sauteed Onions and Butter. But we do like F&C and I like a Boddington.

The next time on board we hope to be on for 14 days and visit the Lion several times. Looks to try the Steak & Mushroom Pie also the Cottage Pie like a Shepherds Pie. Not a fan of the other selections.

Not a fan of Bubble and Squeak but will keep an open mind. 

20170705_115051.jpg

• Like 1

Went out with my wife's cousin and wife to lunch yesterday to our favorite seafood restaurant.

We had the greatest meal. Of course I like to order the same app I love in a SF restaurant.

Baked Clam Oreganata with crusty italian bread to shob up all those great juices.

Don't think I ever thought or saw that on a cruise. Ever on our past Carib sailings.

Wonder if I ever ask for it if the Upgrade Fairy would place us in one of the grills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Went out with my wife's cousin and wife to lunch yesterday to our favorite seafood restaurant.

We had the greatest meal. Of course I like to order the same app I love in a SF restaurant.

Baked Clam Oreganata with crusty italian bread to shob up all those great juices.

Don't think I ever thought or saw that on a cruise. Ever on our past Carib sailings.

Wonder if I ever ask for it if the Upgrade Fairy would place us in one of the grills.

Hi BB, sounds delicious🙂