CDC says no more masks for the fully vaccinated---Will Seabourn drop the mask mandate onboard?

SLSD

Everyone in my gym (large) on Friday had a mask on, today only two people.    The guidelines are for only vaccinated people not to wear masks, it looks like its now anyone.   Probably poor communication by the CDC but the end result IMO is that face masks are going away for everyone.  The bright side is that given the high vaccination rates, the rates published are on the Entire US population not people over 18,   hopefully we are close to getting past this thing.

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Probably poor communication by the CDC

I don't think it is poor communication as even here in Australia I understood the guidelines were for vaccinated people only. Probably because of lower risk of transmission rate in the vaccinated.

Hopefully all those unmasked were vaccinated but unfortunately there were probably those that feel they were special and don't need to even though unvaccinated. They probably only wore a mask before so they could get in the gym when the mask mandate was in place.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:13 PM, markham said:

In countries whose health services are centrally administered this will not be an issue. Maybe the US will catch up.

How so? Starting this Monday my UK National Health Service app will show on a discrete screen the details of my 2 vaccinations. Which makes life easier for Seabourn when we checkin for the July cruises. This, along with coordination with Greece and the EU, make us good to go for Ovation.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Vaccinations records/mandates are reserved to the states in the US.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:36 PM, frantic36 said:

I don't think it is poor communication as even here in Australia I understood the guidelines were for vaccinated people only. Probably because of lower risk of transmission rate in the vaccinated.

Hopefully all those unmasked were vaccinated but unfortunately there were probably those that feel they were special and don't need to even though unvaccinated. They probably only wore a mask before so they could get in the gym when the mask mandate was in place.

In the US about 60% of the adult population has one shot and 50% has two.  Cases, hospitalizations & deaths are declining quickly.  The masks are in the rear view mirror.  Not saying lets get irresponsible but its time to move on.  Great News.

Time to go on some vacations.  

10 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

In the US about 60% of the adult population has one shot and 50% has two.  Cases, hospitalizations & deaths are declining quickly.  The masks are in the rear view mirror.  Not saying lets get irresponsible but its time to move on.  Great News.

Time to go on some vacations.  

However, masks are NOT in the rearview mirror.  As a fully vaccinated person, I have been surprised to find that EVERYONE in my area (Dallas) has been masked in public areas.  I have been genuinely surprised by this.  Most businesses have signs on their doors requiring masks.  Seabourn will have to make its own decision.  I will be most interested to see what that decision is.  Hopefully, since all passengers and crew will be fully vaccinated--masks will not be required onboard.  I cannot tell you how envious I am of those who are brave enough to take these first cruises.  You all deserve all the fun you are going to have!

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SLSD said:

However, masks are NOT in the rearview mirror.  As a fully vaccinated person, I have been surprised to find that EVERYONE in my area (Dallas) has been masked in public areas.  I have been genuinely surprised by this.  Most businesses have signs on their doors requiring masks.  Seabourn will have to make its own decision.  I will be most interested to see what that decision is.  Hopefully, since all passengers and crew will be fully vaccinated--masks will not be required onboard.  I cannot tell you how envious I am of those who are brave enough to take these first cruises.  You all deserve all the fun you are going to have!

Agree 100%.  We stopped requiring vaccinated employees to wear masks on Monday and it's surprising how many are still a bit concerned and wish to continue wearing their masks.  My guess is Seabourn will be extremely cautious out of the gate and masks will be required in common areas.  It will be interesting to see if Seabourn updates these rules prior to the July cruises due to the positive changes we have seen from the CDC.  I am really looking forward to our cruise in July and no matter what we will adapt and have fun.  Even if it's a bit restrictive in certain ways, I look forward to seeing my favorite cruise line, the wonderful people working on the boat, building friendships with the new Seabourn people and enjoying white wine, red wine and then a cappuccino with dessert during the awesome dinners.  I only pray for everyone to be safe, healthy and thankful that we can begin to restart with the travel that we all treasure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SLSD said:

Out in the burbs of Dallas and other parts of Texas, have seen mask wearing from 50/50 to none in sight.  There is still the option to social distance.  Early on the recommendation was to social distance or wear a mask.  Social distancing on cruises can be hard; one reason the smaller less densely populated lines look good 🙂

The scientists & doctors of the CDC have said if you are vaccinated you no longer need to wear a mask.   The CDC certainly isn't a group that's been lax on Covid restrictions. 

We are fully vaccinated and are no longer wear masks.  Before being vaccinated we closely followed the science guidelines, staying home wearing masks etc.  We are still cautious.  If a cruise requires vaccinations and proof of vaccinations I see no need for masks and don't intend to take a cruise requiring them.

IMO the argument that fully vaccinated people still need masks is merely partisan politics.  Certainly not following the science.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The scientists & doctors of the CDC have said if you are vaccinated you no longer need to wear a mask.   The CDC certainly isn't a group that's been lax on Covid restrictions. 

We are fully vaccinated and are no longer wear masks.  Before being vaccinated we closely followed the science guidelines, staying home wearing masks etc.  We are still cautious.  If a cruise requires vaccinations and proof of vaccinations I see no need for masks and don't intend to take a cruise requiring them.

IMO the argument that fully vaccinated people still need masks is merely partisan politics.  Certainly not following the science.

I agree with most of your comments as I am 58 years old, good health and fully vaccinated with the 95% efficacy Moderna.  I have no fear of getting sick to the point of being hospitalized.  BUT... #1  There are loyal Seabourn customers that are older and have health challenges.  At 95% efficacy they also have the same 5% chance of getting ill and the results could be very severe.  Wearing masks on the cruise should keep them safer than not wearing a mask.  #2.  Seabourn is a business with a huge investment that has been idled for more than a year.  I assume they will have a clear protocol to keep everyone safe while still enjoying the cruise which will include masks.  If someone does test positive I believe we don't have to fear wide spread infection as we are all vaccinated.  It will be unfortunate for the person who does test positive as they will probably be confined to their room.  Cruising is my #1 preferred style of traveling and I have missed out on 2 years and if I waited until 2022 or 2023 that could be 4 years of missing what I enjoy with vacation time.  Life is too short in my opinion.  Give me the mask, let me adapt, Seabourn has been an awesome cruise line and I look forward to spending more time with her. I fully expect Seabourn will exceed my reasonable expectations to make the trip memorable and awesome.

• Like 1

I used to have friends that had a place on ***** Lake, beautiful there.  I'm 62 fairly new to cruising.  Given the uncertainty we have three significant trips planned the next year and none of them are cruises.   Just want to see how everything pans out.   The masks aren't for us on a vacation but I see your point on the importance to older frequent Seabourn guests.  Considering the strong opinions It will be a difficult decision for Seabourn.  We have more serious short term concerns on cruising other than masks.

We are seriously considering cruises (Seabourn/Silversea) late 2022/early 2023 at this point.

This forum has been exceptional source of information.

Safe Travels and enjoy your cruises.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

Sorry to nitpick, but people continue to state that vaccinated people have a 5% chance of contracting Covid 19 after a Pfizer or Moderna shot.  I am not an expert in math or epidemiology but I know that a vaccine with 95% efficacy doesn’t mean vaccinated people have a 5 percent chance of getting COVID-19 or that 95 percent of people are protected from the disease. Data suggests risk of infection after vaccination is actually much lower.

Vaccine efficacy is percent reduction in disease incidence in a vaccinated group compared to an unvaccinated group under optimal condition. Efficacy tells us about risk reduction, so people who get vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna shots benefit from about a 95 percent lower risk of developing COVID-19 compared to those who are not vaccinated.

The numbers actually look something like this: 100,000 people are vaccinated. Before the vaccinations, they would have expected an “attack rate” of about 1% or 1,000 COVID-cases in that population. After the vaccines, that 1% is reduced by 95% and now only .05% of the population is expected to get sick - or about 50 people.

In mid-March, the CDC estimated that the United States had a rate of 689 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people. If the entire population received a vaccine with a 95% efficacy, that rate drops to about 34.5 or about a .0345 percent chance.

That being said, everyone still has to assess their own desire to resume cruising and under what circumstances and their risk tolerance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, CLOU said:

Sorry to nitpick, but people continue to state that vaccinated people have a 5% chance of contracting Covid 19 after a Pfizer or Moderna shot.  I am not an expert in math or epidemiology but I know that a vaccine with 95% efficacy doesn’t mean vaccinated people have a 5 percent chance of getting COVID-19 or that 95 percent of people are protected from the disease. Data suggests risk of infection after vaccination is actually much lower.

Vaccine efficacy is percent reduction in disease incidence in a vaccinated group compared to an unvaccinated group under optimal condition. Efficacy tells us about risk reduction, so people who get vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna shots benefit from about a 95 percent lower risk of developing COVID-19 compared to those who are not vaccinated.

The numbers actually look something like this: 100,000 people are vaccinated. Before the vaccinations, they would have expected an “attack rate” of about 1% or 1,000 COVID-cases in that population. After the vaccines, that 1% is reduced by 95% and now only .05% of the population is expected to get sick - or about 50 people.

In mid-March, the CDC estimated that the United States had a rate of 689 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people. If the entire population received a vaccine with a 95% efficacy, that rate drops to about 34.5 or about a .0345 percent chance.

That being said, everyone still has to assess their own desire to resume cruising and under what circumstances and their risk tolerance.

Wooosh!  That just flew over my head and I am pretty good with math.  Thanks for the info and not really sure how to interpret for those that have health issues.  I still feel good to go and ready to get on board!!😀

Forget the math, immune compromised people even when vaccinated have a good chance of still catching COVID or any other number of diseases.   If you are taking medication that compromises your immune system, you may not be protected.   Latest news is that physicians are considering stopping some of the medications for two weeks when these folks received vaccinations.   It’s not the time for cruising for folks on these types of medication.   

3 hours ago, Seas_The_Day said:

so grateful for all of the expert medical and political advice i have received on this board - now wondering if anyone has a link to place where one can actually discuss having some fun?

I would suggest the discussion has been thoughtful, respectful and not "expert medical and political advice".  Now is YOUR chance.... lead the forum with something fun!

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I cannot imagine any cruise line wanting to wade into US partisan politics. But it's not politics at all; it's maximizing the odds of safety, without killing the luxury product by being over-protective. They know passengers are yearning for something as close to normalcy as possible, and are likely to relax restrictions to the extent they feel possible -- without endangering an outbreak which could cause catastrophic financial problems if they need to halt operations.

The circumstances are clearly different on a vessel where passengers and crew are "trapped" together for days and weeks at a time than in the general population, where you can tell people to go home and isolate. Passengers will be flying on planes, traveling through airports, staying in hotels and dining in restaurants where not everyone is vaccinated, so someone can catch the virus, be asymptomatic, come aboard the ship, and infect people who are vaccinated. Time and experience will show whether there's much of a risk under these circumstances or not, but you can understand why the cruise lines likely want to tread cautiously. One virus outbreak, even if much milder than those 14 months ago, could still score people away from taking cruises, or worse, require them to "pause" again.

If they can eliminate all mask requirements because the ship is 100% vaccinated, without adding much risk to passengers and crew, I'm sure they will. It might just take a month or three of cruising to open things up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If they can eliminate all mask requirements because the ship is 100% vaccinated, without adding much risk to passengers and crew, I'm sure they will. It might just take a month or three of cruising to open things up.

I, too, am hoping for 100% vaccination, which would allow for a more relaxed on board environment that may approximate how things were pre-pandemic.  However, in the past few days, I've noticed the following on Seabourn's marketing materials:

Our intent is for all team members working on board for these voyages to be fully vaccinated.

Not too thrilled that while all guests will be required to be fully vaccinated, Seabourn is now basically saying they may not be able to get all their crew vaccinated.  Even if the crew hails from countries with poor vaccination capabilities, why can't Seabourn vaccinate them once they report to work with a one-dose vaccine such as Johnson & Johnson?  Ideally, they should then be self-isolated for 2 weeks to achieve "fully vaccinated" status, although I'd imagine cost may be a concern and logistics may present challenges.  In any case, other cruise lines have announced that their crew will be fully vaccinated, so why can't Seabourn do the same? 

Edited by sfvoyage

On 5/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, happy cruzer said:

Out in the burbs of Dallas and other parts of Texas, have seen mask wearing from 50/50 to none in sight.  There is still the option to social distance.  Early on the recommendation was to social distance or wear a mask.  Social distancing on cruises can be hard; one reason the smaller less densely populated lines look good 🙂

Interesting.  I'm seeing masks everywhere.  

34 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

I, too, am hoping for 100% vaccination, which would allow for a more relaxed on board environment that may approximate how things were pre-pandemic.  However, in the past few days, I've noticed the following on Seabourn's marketing materials:

Our intent is for all team members working on board for these voyages to be fully vaccinated.

Not too thrilled that while all guests will be required to be fully vaccinated, Seabourn is now basically saying they may not be able to get all their crew vaccinated.  Even if the crew hails from countries with poor vaccination capabilities, why can't Seabourn vaccinate them once they report to work with a one-dose vaccine such as Johnson & Johnson?  Ideally, they should then be self-isolated for 2 weeks to achieve "fully vaccinated" status, although I'd imagine cost may be a concern and logistics may present challenges.  In any case, other cruise lines have announced that their crew will be fully vaccinated, so why can't Seabourn do the same? 

I had noticed the "intent" wording as well and found it concerning.  

13 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Not too thrilled that while all guests will be required to be fully vaccinated, Seabourn is now basically saying they may not be able to get all their crew vaccinated. ...

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

I had noticed the "intent" wording as well and found it concerning.  

So both of you are inferring that the simple word "intent" means they won't vaccinate all staff?  This seems a little bit of a stretch.