What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

On 11/20/2021 at 10:23 PM, Hlitner said:

I am a sandwich lover and there are many that rank among favorites.  But my two that rise to the top of the list is a really good Italian Sub (with peppers) and a decent Cubano.  Having spent over 3 years of my life on cruise ships I will admit to never having had either on a ship.   In fact, I have never had a memorable sandwich on any cruise line :(.  

Hank 

The best Cubano I ever had was in Little Havana. There have been many imitators, but none have been it's equal.

1 hour ago, mongo59r said:

The best Cubano I ever had was in Little Havana. There have been many imitators, but none have been it's equal.

I have never had a Cubano.  Have had the opportunity to try one, but, there always seems to be something else on the menu that is more attractive to me.  If I ever get to Miami again.....I'll have to try one in Little Havana.  

Great topic, nothing like a good sandwich. A truly under appreciated food group!  A good brisket sandwich can’t be beat although a pastrami on rye with Swiss , and a little crispy slaw can bring a smile to my face. 

How about a fried  haddock sandwich with some onion rings?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, All4Fun. said:

Great topic, nothing like a good sandwich. A truly under appreciated food group!  A good brisket sandwich can’t be beat although a pastrami on rye with Swiss , and a little crispy slaw can bring a smile to my face. 

How about a fried  haddock sandwich with some onion rings?

I too like a good sandwich especially when it's a melt.

Being a foodie I too like eating one of our many Deli's in Brooklyn. A fresh Brisket with the top slice dipped in the Au Jus is GREAT.

I prefer a Pastrami on Rye with Deli Mustard, no interest with cheese. Even Wall Streeters like even Cole Slaw on the Sandwich minus the Mustard.

And a proper fried fish sandwich with tartare and either rings or fries are great with a Pub Beer.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I too like a good sandwich especially when it's a melt.

Being a foodie I too like eating one of our many Deli's in Brooklyn. A fresh Brisket with the top slice dipped in the Au Jus is GREAT.

I prefer a Pastrami on Rye with Deli Mustard, no interest with cheese. Even Wall Streeters like even Cole Slaw on the Sandwich minus the Mustard.

And a proper fried fish sandwich with tartare and either rings or fries are great with a Pub Beer.

If you can get all the ingredients in the buffet you can have: a roast Turkey with baked Ham with Russian dressing topped with Swiss cheese, bacon and Cole slaw…on rye bread…preferably light rye.  This sandwich is a killer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

If you can get all the ingredients in the buffet you can have: a roast Turkey with baked Ham with Russian dressing topped with Swiss cheese, bacon and Cole slaw…on rye bread…preferably light rye.  This sandwich is a killer!

Good morning CGT....been a while. Hope you are doing well.   That sandwich sounds DELICIOUS😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning CGT....been a while. Hope you are doing well.   That sandwich sounds DELICIOUS😃

Thank you Lois!  I just got in from dialysis…and anxiously awaiting my kidney transplant.

That sandwich is a winner.  I used to serve it at my restaurant way back when.  We called it “Turkey In The Straw”.  It was very popular…along with my slow cooked brisket and slow roasted roast beef.  I actually slow roasted boneless turkey breast and baked the ham…yummmm!  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

This sounds delicious!  Other than at breakfast, though, I don't recall seeing Bacon being available at a buffet restaurant.  Cole slaw?  What type?  A raw version without any type dressing?  Toasted or not?  

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This sounds delicious!  Other than at breakfast, though, I don't recall seeing Bacon being available at a buffet restaurant.  Cole slaw?  What type?  A raw version without any type dressing?  Toasted or not?  

Fresh bread…regular Cole slaw with the dressing…save the bacon from breakfast…lol.  This would be no problem on Silversea…ask and you shall receive…lol.

Just now, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Fresh bread…not toasted…regular Cole slaw with the dressing…save the bacon from breakfast…lol.  This would be no problem on Silversea…ask and you shall receive…lol.

If I ever get back on MSC I’m going to ask the YC Maitre D’ to make my Italian sandwich. Are you ready for this one?  

Take a full length soft French bread split length wise, splash balsamic and olive oil on top and bottom…heavier on the balsamic, start with mortadella, sweet cappicola, a layer of muffuletta (chopped olives, onions, tomatoes and oregano in oil) then a layer of baked ham, thin sliced dill pickles, Genoa salami and provolone cheese.  Fried roasted peppers are optional…LOL.  Now that’s a sandwich!!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:07 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

If I ever get back on MSC I’m going to ask the YC Maitre D’ to make my Italian sandwich. Are you ready for this one?  

Take a full length soft French bread split length wise, splash balsamic and olive oil on top and bottom…heavier on the balsamic, start with mortadella, sweet cappicola, a layer of muffuletta (chopped olives, onions, tomatoes and oregano in oil) then a layer of baked ham, thin sliced dill pickles, Genoa salami and provolone cheese.  Fried roasted peppers are optional…LOL.  Now that’s a sandwich!!

That would be delicious!  But, how would you eat it?  My mouth isn't wide enough to get all of that into my mouth.  These gigantic burgers/chicken sandwiches that seem to be fashionable today are just impossible for me to eat as a "sandwich".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That would be delicious!  But, how would you eat it?  My mouth isn't wide enough to get all of that into my mouth.  These gigantic burgers/chicken sandwiches that seem to be fashionable today are just impossible for me to eat as a "sandwich".  

WOW, that's sounds like a "Brooklyn Heartburn City"...though it sounds tasty.

I know we have different of Deli Made Italian Hero's in Brooklyn that are Pure Pictures. And I like watching the Butchers from the side lines forming these creations. Cutting the Cold Cuts, Slicing the Bread and litely toasting it. Slicing the Veg's including the Cold Cut Machine Shredded Iceberg Lettuce and Tomatoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

.though it sounds tasty

A question unrelated to the thread.  Are you receiving e-mail notifications of posts that I make?  I have received this for some time and are appreciated.  But, a couple of weeks ago, those notifications have not appeared in my e-mail inbox.  So, I don't know who has responded to a post that I have made unless I stumble upon it.  I have e-mailed CC administrators about this and have received zero communication from them.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Believe it or not…I have never had 1 complaint along that line.  I’ve made that sub more times than I can count.  Everyone who has tried this sandwich loves it.  I have made it for years and received rave reviews.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A question unrelated to the thread.  Are you receiving e-mail notifications of posts that I make?  I have received this for some time and are appreciated.  But, a couple of weeks ago, those notifications have not appeared in my e-mail inbox.  So, I don't know who has responded to a post that I have made unless I stumble upon it.  I have e-mailed CC administrators about this and have received zero communication from them.  

I no longer receive notifications…only copies of what I have posted.

5 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I no longer receive notifications…only copies of what I have posted.

I wonder why the notifications have ceased.  It is very difficult to carry on a conversation with others since this has happened.  I don't get copies of what I have posted.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I do sometimes get them and sometimes not. But majority do get them.

I also really NEVER got email responses from the Host of the Board. If I have a problem, I write to the Administrator of the Boards  LauraS and she always gets back to me pretty fast. Not sure the Host's other responsibilities on the boards or on the outside of CC.

I get them on my email on laptop and also on my smartphone with a very smart graphic.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I do sometimes get them and sometimes not. But majority do get them.

I also really NEVER got email responses from the Host of the Board. If I have a problem, I write to the Administrator of the Boards  LauraS and she always gets back to me pretty fast. Not sure the Host's other responsibilities on the boards or on the outside of CC.

I get them on my email on laptop and also on my smartphone with a very smart graphic.

I appreciate your reply.  I will try your suggested contact and see what happens.  CC is not the only site that "keeps trying to improve whatever" when, from my experience, such "improvements" to little/nothing for those that use that site.  

But, as a very cynical comment, doing such helps to keep IT folks employed.  

To help keep this thread on track--and I can almost feel the stones starting to hit me--when I return from a cruise with lots of good food-- a McDonald's sandwich such as Fillet of Fish, Double Cheeseburger, French Fries, etc. or a Frisch's Swiss Miss Sandwich with their Onion Rings--helps to return to me to the reality that I won't be having Escargots, Medium Rare Prime Rib, Lobster Tails, or a delicious souffle of some type in the immediate future.  Or even a HAL Dive-in burger or hot dog.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate your reply.  I will try your suggested contact and see what happens.  CC is not the only site that "keeps trying to improve whatever" when, from my experience, such "improvements" to little/nothing for those that use that site.  

But, as a very cynical comment, doing such helps to keep IT folks employed.  

Hoping CC is careful with their updates.

If you remember the last update to this site was hard to handle. Major changes and missing in action items was hard to deal with. Glad it settled down. I know they want to help us enjoy the boards and interactions but I remember losing two roll calls.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

To help keep this thread on track--and I can almost feel the stones starting to hit me--when I return from a cruise with lots of good food-- a McDonald's sandwich such as Fillet of Fish, Double Cheeseburger, French Fries, etc. or a Frisch's Swiss Miss Sandwich with their Onion Rings--helps to return to me to the reality that I won't be having Escargots, Medium Rare Prime Rib, Lobster Tails, or a delicious souffle of some type in the immediate future.  Or even a HAL Dive-in burger or hot dog.  

We won’t stone you RK but McDonalds??  YIKES!!  Grey tasteless burgers cooked on a flat top with frozen French fries.   I can see an occasional Whopper at Burger King once a year or two.  I’m even going to try the new fries at Wendy’s!  Finding a good char grilled burger shouldn’t be too hard RK.  I believe one has to up their game when it comes to fast food - leisure food.  I want burgers cooked on a flaming grill and homemade FF and onion rings and a thick frappe made with real ice cream.   I can pan fry a great burger once in a while when it’s too cold to go out and light the charcoal grill…lol.  

• Thanks 1

No stone from me either but I have to say, (just for me)....I don't believe I have eaten a burger from McDonalds in  probably 10 years.  The only "fast food burger" I can recall ordering is from Wendy's and that is probably closer to 5 years ago. As you can see, I just don't enjoy fast food burgers. Now, if it is a chicken sandwich? If I know it is actual chicken, I will order one of those.   We do have a couple of locally owned places who make wonderful burgers. I don't consider them fast food......they look and taste like they are home made.....thick and juicy made with chuck and/or sirloin. They have steak fries and they are really good😃

On 1/28/2022 at 7:00 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I can see an occasional Whopper at Burger King once a year or two.  I’m even going to try the new fries at Wendy’s

It is has been many years since I have patronized Burger King.  Just didn't compare to McDonald's in my opinion.  The ads for the "new fries at Wendy's" are tempting.  But, before I place an order, (if I ever do so), I am going to check the Men's Room.  The last visit I had at my local Wendy's, the Men's Room was what one might experience in the port-a-pot toilets at the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  100% disgusting!  If management can't keep the loo properly clean, what's the condition in their galley?  

On 1/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Lois R said:

Now, if it is a chicken sandwich? If I know it is actual chicken, I will order one of those

In all of my fast food visits over the years, I have never ordered a chicken sandwich.  The current ad for KFC's crispy chicken sandwich is quite tempting.  But, it appears so large/thick.  How can eat that as a sandwich? 

(As an aside:  I am sick and tired of ordering whatever sandwiches in whatever good restaurants and being served a sandwich that the Green Giant would have trouble getting into his mouth.  A bigger sandwich with more "stuff" is better?  Not in my opinion!  Such an offering discourages me from ordering it and even patronizing the establishment that offers such excess.)

On 1/25/2022 at 7:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

Frisch's Swiss Miss Sandwich with their Onion Rings--

No one has commented on this favorite of mine.  Maybe, no Frisch's in your location, but, the company is part of the "Big Boy" chain that operates under a variety of names.  Not gourmet; but, satisfying.  At least for me once in awhile.

It is has been many years since I have patronized Burger King.  Just didn't compare to McDonald's in my opinion.  The ads for the "new fries at Wendy's" are tempting.  But, before I place an order, (if I ever do so), I am going to check the Men's Room.  The last visit I had at my local Wendy's, the Men's Room was what one might experience in the port-a-pot toilets at the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  100% disgusting!  If management can't keep the loo properly clean, what's the condition in their galley?  

You mean to tell me that you actually dine in those places??  I just drive through and dine in the car…lol.

In all of my fast food visits over the years, I have never ordered a chicken sandwich.  The current ad for KFC's crispy chicken sandwich is quite tempting.  But, it appears so large/thick.  How can eat that as a sandwich? 

I have tried the chicken sandwich at KFC…blahhhh…nothing special.

(As an aside:  I am sick and tired of ordering whatever sandwiches in whatever good restaurants and being served a sandwich that the Green Giant would have trouble getting into his mouth.  A bigger sandwich with more "stuff" is better?  Not in my opinion!  Such an offering discourages me from ordering it and even patronizing the establishment that offers such excess.)

I would agree unless it is an overstuffed deli sandwich like brisket, corned beef or pastrami.  

No one has commented on this favorite of mine.  Maybe, no Frisch's in your location, but, the company is part of the "Big Boy" chain that operates under a variety of names.  Not gourmet; but, satisfying.  At least for me once in awhile.

Not in my area…unfortunately.