Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I work in cruise sales for a large online agency - Johnny Public IS ready to sail again, but NOT at the prices being asked.  People are expecting bargains, are not getting them, and are making alternate plans rather than cruise.  

Confidence is building tho. Orlando is getting busier and busier.

Stock market and housing market are up. "Some" folks have government cash. People are anxious to travel before the next pandemic hits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I work in cruise sales for a large online agency - Johnny Public IS ready to sail again, but NOT at the prices being asked.  People are expecting bargains, are not getting them, and are making alternate plans rather than cruise.  

Interesting, if that is true, then prices will most certainly drop. The market can only demand what Johnny Public will pay. Keep in mind, by Johnny Public I don't mean those of us here on CC. I mean brand new cruisers or those with only a few sailings under their belt. Public perception of cruising as a floating petri dish is alive and well. Those who aren't in love with cruising are going to need more carrots. 

PS: I do agree that Johnny Public is ready to travel again. I saw that first hand in Maui as the island went from empty streets in January to traffic jams a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Boy, I’d love to know.  As it stands, it sure looks like shifting to the cruise that will net the most $$$$$ for NCL, instead of taking care of the passengers who have already booked, and have stuck with you through thick and thin!

I can guess: new bookings froze, cancellations soared...but, of course. They shattered confidence with the Joy cancellation.

• Like 1

I am now rebooked on the Sky. Same week Sept 19th. It might sail it might not and I will keep trying. I love Cruising more than other vacations and I like NCL over all the other lines we have sailed. Eventually I will get on a ship, have a drink and dance all night. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Some of my old posts on this thread are not there.

Looks like from the OP's question everybody was reassuring that the sailings would happen. Those who thought opposite can't be found any longer.

What disservice.

I initially thought everything would cancel. Then more cruises were added and I had hoped my cruise would sail. I was booked on the Gem. My initial feelings were right in hindsight . I’m still here. 

45 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Interesting, if that is true, then prices will most certainly drop. The market can only demand what Johnny Public will pay. Keep in mind, by Johnny Public I don't mean those of us here on CC. I mean brand new cruisers or those with only a few sailings under their belt. Public perception of cruising as a floating petri dish is alive and well. Those who aren't in love with cruising are going to need more carrots. 

PS: I do agree that Johnny Public is ready to travel again. I saw that first hand in Maui as the island went from empty streets in January to traffic jams a few weeks ago. 

Interestingly I find those  who are "new to cruise", or have only cruised a few times most willing to pay the prices, the hardened veteran cruisers are the ones most resistant to pay the current pricing and looking for the deep discounts and are upset that they are so few and far between at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Interestingly I find those  who are "new to cruise", or have only cruised a few times most willing to pay the prices, the hardened veteran cruisers are the ones most resistant to pay the current pricing and looking for the deep discounts and are upset that they are so few and far between at the moment.

Well that is certainly good news on an otherwise bleak news day. Time will tell if there are enough 'new cruisers' to carry the weight.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My original question remains unanswered: Are there enough loyal cruise customers willing to add new cash into the system (not FCC/NC/etc..) to prevent bankruptcy, acquisition, or merger?

Definitely not....The ships that are sailing this year are well below capacity, do a fake booking 

2 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Definitely not....The ships that are sailing this year are well below capacity, do a fake booking 

I'm aware of available inventory. What I'm not aware of is NCL's number to break even on a given sailing considering FCC/NC/etc...

I would suspect you are correct and agree that NCL's future looks bleak at the moment. But I don't know that definitively. It's just a guess based on the information I have today. The situation is very fluid. 

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm aware of available inventory. What I'm not aware of is NCL's number to break even on a given sailing considering FCC/NC/etc...

I would suspect you are correct and agree that NCL's future looks bleak at the moment. But I don't know that definitively. It's just a guess based on the information I have today. The situation is very fluid. 

Had this of a mate working in the shipyard in Italy the day Prima dates were realised

0F3A4E7F-B88D-4350-86A8-25C25041DFAB.jpeg

1 minute ago, Trimone said:

Had this of a mate working in the shipyard in Italy the day Prima dates were realised

0F3A4E7F-B88D-4350-86A8-25C25041DFAB.jpeg

While you say (and they) that it is crazy, this transatlantic is basically sold out?  So is it crazy smart?  If they can find people to pay it is genius, they maximize profits.

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

While you say (and they) that it is crazy, this transatlantic is basically sold out?  So is it crazy smart?  If they can find people to pay it is genius, they maximize profits.

It sure is if it doesn’t leave port?

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

Why would it not leave port?

Schedule, how many NCL ships have left port with passengers this year?

NCL are more interested in getting cash in than cruising.

Just now, Trimone said:

Schedule, how many NCL ships have left port with passengers this year?

NCL are more interested in getting cash in than cruising.

This is very far in the future, if you are trying to say over a year from now they still wont be sailing then I would say that is something that neither you are I could give facts or back up.  This year's cancellations are mostly due to shifting rules around a pandemic, and how they are moving assets around to maximize what little money they are bringing in, even if we don't like it.  I think more then one user here said that both Jamaica and DR were very lightly sold, so this might have been a cut your losses move.  Keep in mind that once Prima is ready unless there is a new pandemic this will not be the case.

5 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

This is very far in the future, if you are trying to say over a year from now they still wont be sailing then I would say that is something that neither you are I could give facts or back up.  This year's cancellations are mostly due to shifting rules around a pandemic, and how they are moving assets around to maximize what little money they are bringing in, even if we don't like it.  I think more then one user here said that both Jamaica and DR were very lightly sold, so this might have been a cut your losses move.  Keep in mind that once Prima is ready unless there is a new pandemic this will not be the case.

First, there will be a new pandemic...Is called "massive inflation"...Think late 1970's but worse 

• Like 2

Personally I don’t think Prima is sold out, how would NCL know what capacity they will be allowed, and remember taking credits for deposits for a cruise in 15 months time isn’t going to keep the rest of the fleet sailing 35% full

1 minute ago, Trimone said:

Personally I don’t think Prima is sold out, how would NCL know what capacity they will be allowed, and remember taking credits for deposits for a cruise in 15 months time isn’t going to keep the rest of the fleet sailing 35% full

OK, so your real thought or premise is they will be bankrupt before Prima sails.  That's fine, now I understand your posts much better.

3 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

OK, so your real thought or premise is they will be bankrupt before Prima sails.  That's fine, now I understand your posts much better.

I think that fella in Florida and Del Rey should start talking to each other and not the press, it’s making a good business go bad, is that Florida fella connected to the mob, I remember years ago that people said a certain family connected to a singer ran the port basically? 

Just now, Trimone said:

I think that fella in Florida and Del Rey should start talking to each other and not the press, it’s making a good business go bad, is that Florida fella connected to the mob, I remember years ago that people said a certain family connected to a singer ran the port basically? 

I have no idea about anyone connected to crime in any way.  What I can say is I agree that I hope behind the scenes leadership of the cruise lines and Florida are at least talking to each other.  To me the easy fix is waive the fees in the law until the CSO expires, so basically let them sail right away, the law stays on the books unchallenged, but cruise ships can ask for vaccines until October 31st.  That just seems all to logical though...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Del Rio