Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

16 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just checked my NCL app and they’ve already refunded me the Cruise Next certificate and put 10% towards a future cruise (twice). Pretty fast, I’d say! 

Glad to hear that for you, but I'm still bitter when they flat out denied me any compensation at all for my cancelled Greek trip on the Pearl. I wasn't entitled to a 10% off coupon since I already had one in my account from 4 other previous cancelled cruises that I hadn't applied yet.

4 cancelled cruises, total of 2x 10% off certificates, one was used to book the Pearl which was ultimately cancelled by them and that certificate vanished. If my upcoming Spain trip gets cancelled (which I'm 85% sure it will) then I'll have 5 cancelled trips and nothing to show for it beyond CN certificates I won't be able to use in time.

Yeah... I'm still salty. 

• Like 4

Same just happened to me @Sailing12Away.  I went to bed last night with 2 reservations booked, and each had a 10% discount applied. No 10% certificates left for use in my account.  I woke up this morning and one (Gem) was cancelled and that 10% certificate wasn't returned to me (my CruiseNext certs were).

Edited by pghflyer

Just rebooked my. cancelled Gem for the Bliss. My PCC could not give me the air promotion because we’re inside 90 days. I’ve heard people say they have been able to get them to honor the cancelled promotion. Anyone have any tips for how to get them to give me the air?

16 minutes ago, TerryNJon said:

Just rebooked my. cancelled Gem for the Bliss. My PCC could not give me the air promotion because we’re inside 90 days. I’ve heard people say they have been able to get them to honor the cancelled promotion. Anyone have any tips for how to get them to give me the air?

NCL has no money.  They won't honor any promos that will lose them money.  Good luck.

I am another refugee from the Joy! Not sure what my next move will be. Luckily I had just used cruise next deposits for the reservation, but I had purchased my airfare directly. Hopefully I can at least get a credit for that.  I am super cautious regarding Covid and felt like this was going to be as close to “safe” as I was going to get for traveling.  I had a direct flight to Jamaica where everyone would have had to have a negative Covid test to board, and then pre and post testing on the ship as well as the vaccination requirements!  I booked a balcony and planned to eat only at outdoor options, which on the Joy are plentiful! The thought of sitting on the balcony, basking in the sun, watching the waves and contemplating life sounded so perfect!  Definitely disappointed. 
     I have been reading everybody’s comments and thoughts on the whole situation. I am skeptical about the whole thing and am feeling sad like everyone else. I do think there is an element of desperation by NCL trying to make things “stick”. I also think there is a huge political push from behind the scenes. Miraculously both sides of congress came together to quickly pass a suspension of the foreign port requirements so Alaska sailings could happen.  NCL has obviously been working hard to come up with the port plans for Alaska as required by the CDC (see article for the details...  https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-closer-to-alaska-2021/.  I’m sure there have been promises made.  We will see how fast CDC actually responds and where things will come down. Another benefit to NCL under CDC requirements/rules is that if a person is vaccinated they are not required to have a covid test to board the ship. I’m sure this would be a huge savings to NCL, who was going to provide the testing on the Joy and the Gem. Not to mention avoiding potential logistics nightmares.

I have enjoyed cruising with NCL and don’t think I’m ready to completely give up on them, especially since I still have several credits plus cruise deposits. I hope they can get it together and survive for the future. I’m going to try to be optimistic,  but with caution for sure!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TerryNJon said:

I got a voicemail from guest relations saying they’re going to add the air promotion for the Bliss shortly that allows you to add it if your at 60+ days from sailing so just keep checking. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday?

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, sid_9169 said:

After being cancelled on for the Joy cruise out of Jamaica, I placed a courtesy hold on a Gem cruise from the Dominican Republic. My PCC called me just yesterday, urging me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Hem, because this time it was "definitely, definitely happening"... Fast forward less than 24 hours, and now this... When I booked the Joy, they talked me into one of the Cruise First certificates, as it was basically "free money"... Now, there's not even a way to get a refund for the amount I paid for the Cruise First. The only way that I'll ever be able to get my value out of it, is to book ANOTHER Norwegian cruise. I think that I may be leaning towards just losing the money...

We got this same call! I was too pissed at NCL to even consider it. 

• Like 1

I cancelled and got a call from NCL PCC to switch me to another cruise (under the guise of the PCC taking over for another PCC who had helped me before...weird because the last NCL PCC I used was a decade ago and have used a TA since).

They've got a tough gig.  It can't be easy for them to hear everything they've probably been hearing over the last week with people cancelling and complaining.

Anyway, I explained that I had no personal animosity towards her, but I won't be cruising NCL probably ever again and to please put me on their "DO NOT CALL" list.  She gave no pushback and said she would forward my request to her "SUPERVISOR".

On 5/28/2021 at 6:03 AM, saltsandknit said:

It now looks like the Gem will not be sailing until January. It was worth a try. 

The Sixthman charter music cruises are scheduled for 10/21/21 through 11/18/21 on the Gem. They were originally scheduled on the Jewel from Miami and it was announced on May 3rd we would be sailing on the Gem out of Miami. Final payment for The KISS Kruise (which sails on 10/29) is 6/30 and Sixthman is emphatic that these cruises are still on. Almost all of them are completely sold out with four and five people to a cabin to keep costs down. NCL cannot provide any info on the status of my cruise because it is a charter. I suspect it will be canceled after final payment. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KISS Kruiser said:

The Sixthman charter music cruises are scheduled for 10/21/21 through 11/18/21 on the Gem. They were originally scheduled on the Jewel from Miami and it was announced on May 3rd we would be sailing on the Gem out of Miami. Final payment for The KISS Kruise (which sails on 10/29) is 6/30 and Sixthman is emphatic that these cruises are still on. Almost all of them are completely sold out with four and five people to a cabin to keep costs down. NCL cannot provide any info on the status of my cruise because it is a charter. I suspect it will be canceled after final payment. 

Thank you for the info. I hope you can cruise 

13 hours ago, KISS Kruiser said:

Thanks for sharing.  At the present time, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sail - we'll probably have fewer cases then than now, we'll have a better idea of how to treat what cases exist, more people will be vaccinated, the CDC seems amenable to letting ships sail, NCL has extra time to procure crew, and The Situation with Florida's governor figures to be resolved long before then.  Capacity limits might be a problem, but it won't stop them from sailing.

• Like 1

This was published a few days ago, but I haven't seen it mentioned. I thought those of you on the Gem might be interested to know that NCL is saying your cruise was cancelled becausde they couldn't get crew. Personally, I still think it was due to low bookings, but I suppose it could be a combo of both.

"Citing challenges around crewing its ships returning to service, Norwegian Cruise Line canceled its sailings out of La Romana..."

Norwegian Cancels Summer Sailing from Dominican Republic | TravelPulse

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I count a total of 54 available cabins as of yesterday on the Norwegian Sky for our Sept 19 sailing. We'll see if that's enough for NCL to cancel THAT one, too.

On my Sept 5 sailing on the Sky, balconies and suites are sold out. On my Sept 11 sailing, the only balconies remaining are GTY and suites are sold out. Hopefully that will be enough bookings to satisfy NCL's revenue greed. Now we just need DeSantis to back down on this vaccine requirement nonsense!

35 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

On my Sept 5 sailing on the Sky, balconies and suites are sold out.

Same is true for our sailings. TBH we would have preferred a balcony, but by the time we booked, they were sold out. And as you know, we didn't book until after the Gem was cancelled, aka last Friday. So it was too late by then. Very annoying.

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Same is true for our sailings. TBH we would have preferred a balcony, but by the time we booked, they were sold out. And as you know, we didn't book until after the Gem was cancelled, aka last Friday. So it was too late by then. Very annoying.

Keep an eye on it. Some balconies might free up after final payment is due. Also, who knows what initial capacity NCL opened up on these sailings. They probably anticipated limited capacity and as CDC restrictions change, they may be able to open more rooms for bookings.

I keep hoping they replace the Sky with a bigger ship since it appears demand is there.  I will book for September if literally ANY other ship gets that itinerary.  I keep hoping Gem or Joy gets that route

4 minutes ago, kimandtim said:

I keep hoping they replace the Sky with a bigger ship since it appears demand is there.  I will book for September if literally ANY other ship gets that itinerary.  I keep hoping Gem or Joy gets that route

Just saw that there are now Breakaway sailings for NYC to Bermuda starting the last week of September. The nice thing about those would be that they won't have to deal with any of the DeSantis vaccine mandate nonsense the Sky might face sailing out of Miami.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Keep an eye on it. Some balconies might free up after final payment is due. Also, who knows what initial capacity NCL opened up on these sailings. They probably anticipated limited capacity and as CDC restrictions change, they may be able to open more rooms for bookings.

Thanks, that's a good tip, I hadn't considered that possibility. We have a 10% discount due to the Gem cancellation and I'm thinking I might hold onto it in case a balcony or suite opens up. ☺️

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Just saw that there are now Breakaway sailings for NYC to Bermuda starting the last week of September. The nice thing about those would be that they won't have to deal with any of the DeSantis vaccine mandate nonsense the Sky might face sailing out of Miami.

Out of curiosity did you guys decide to go on Sky rather than switch to Edge? I considered it myself in lieu of our Joy cx Oct 2.

Just now, BoundForSea said:

Out of curiosity did you guys decide to go on Sky rather than switch to Edge? I considered it myself in lieu of our Joy cx Oct 2.

We are scheduled on the Sky for 9/5 and 9/12 and the Edge for 1/2/22.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We are scheduled on the Sky for 9/5 and 9/12 and the Edge for 1/2/22.

Very Cool.  We may be going "OG" (these were our old original sailings with NCL back in 13-16, as we live in CT it was a great deal back then and super convenient and we loved Bermuda) and booking a b2b in Sept into Oct on BA from NY.  Check out the $. By NY and Frankie boy standards these days, it's for sure legit.