Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

My understanding was that the only reason Norwegian even scheduled those itineraries from Jamaica and the Dominican Republic was that they didn’t believe sailings would be possible from the US this summer due to the CDC. Given that Alaska is now back on the table, maybe the thinking is that they will still sail the Norwegian Gem in the Caribbean, but not from the Dominican Republic, but possibly from Florida. That’s the only hope I still have for our cruise going ahead. It seems like a long shot at this point, but I’ll take anything I can get. Having  said that, I actually like the itinerary on the Norwegian Sky because it’s the same one we were supposed to sail on the Norwegian Joy for my birthday back in January. @JamieLogicalis that the one you booked onto? I think it goes to Puerto Plata and Tortola. 

49 minutes ago, DanCait said:

I tried to book the GEM just now, and was told by NCL on the phone they are cancelled.  

Well, if they decide to port the Gem from a different country, the particular sailings might be canceled but that doesn’t mean the ship won’t sail from anywhere. I say this more out of desperation than anything. 😆 

I thought this was such a safe cruise to book because of the "First Ship Back" icon on the website.  I also booked the Jade - the only one of the three left.  I wonder if any of us will go to the next shareholder meeting and complain!

just talked to NCL.... was told that Cruise was Cancelled and that my deposit was being refunded...The rep then wanted to book me on another cruise and sell me a Future Cruise Cert worth $500.00 that i could apply to the new cruise for only $250.00.....Are these FCC any good?

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My understanding was that the only reason Norwegian even scheduled those itineraries from Jamaica and the Dominican Republic was that they didn’t believe sailings would be possible from the US this summer due to the CDC. Given that Alaska is now back on the table, maybe the thinking is that they will still sail the Norwegian Gem in the Caribbean, but not from the Dominican Republic, but possibly from Florida. That’s the only hope I still have for our cruise going ahead. It seems like a long shot at this point, but I’ll take anything I can get. Having  said that, I actually like the itinerary on the Norwegian Sky because it’s the same one we were supposed to sail on the Norwegian Joy for my birthday back in January. @JamieLogicalis that the one you booked onto? I think it goes to Puerto Plata and Tortola. 

Yes. We are booked on the 9/5 and 9/12 sailings B2B. One is an Eastern Caribbean and one is Western.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

We will maybe move to the sky Sept 19. I love the smaller ships but I haven’t sailed on the sky. I am not interested in Alaska I live in a cold climate I’m not sailing in one. 

The 2019 refurb looks great! We have looked at a lot of the videos and photos post-drydock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

The 2019 refurb looks great! We have looked at a lot of the videos and photos post-drydock.

I will take a look. I really prefer the smaller ships, I don’t need all the bells and whistles which is why I am trying Oceania next year. We will see how it goes. 
thr Jewel class is my favorite.

Just decided to pull the trigger on the Sky For Sept 19, in case the Gem gets booted I want to know we have a backup. But let’s be honest: at this point, I don’t even know if the Sky is a sure thing, either. 

The cancellations from Jamaica are sad but what did everyone expect. I’m sure the cruise line even marketed it with “first ship back” with good intentions at first. But I know there’s a lot of smart people on here, and you can’t tell me that threatening to launch from Jamaica wasn’t also sending a message to state and federal governments…

I want to hope for cruises to come back as much as everyone else but I’m starting to find the view on this very US-centric. Not sure if US people know about what’s happening for COVID outside their country, but many popular countries for NCL customers are in the thick of serious travel bans or return-quarantines right now…the UK, Canada, and Europe namely…and with the US only hovering around the 40-50% vaccination rate and we’re basically in June, how could anyone think the cruise line could actually get crew from all over the world (including not to mention India, where much of their staff comes from and has the world‘s highest cases right now) not to mention customers…to Jamaica…for a cruise in a couple months’ time.

Sorry people, but it’s not over for one of our countries until it’s over for all of us…sure the US can live in vaccinated maskless heaven within its own borders, but forget anything major travel related for a bit, yet. I hate it as much as all y’all, but, facts. July/August is the earliest we will likely  see quarantines lifted for the other countries, and it is only THEN that cruises can begin to think about staffing up and deploying

• Like 3

I can't help wondering if NCL are putting all their eggs in one basket and that might backfire. They cancelled what could have been a sure thing sailing on Joy (as in, not out of US so no CDC involvement). It looks like they may be doing the same thing for Gem. They are banking on Alaska being given the green light - and in all likelihood it will, but it seems a bit of a gamble to me. For starters, I don't believe NCL has been approved to sail by CDC yet? Has anyone heard if Seattle are even involved in the conversation of starting up sailings (I would hope they are on board, but I don't recall seeing/hearing anything?) Alaska might be a better money maker but NCL also has a lot of competition in that short time frame from the other lines - and without the Canadian/British passengers to make up numbers, I'm assuming? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and if they pulled the cancellation trigger prematurely?

What  changed for NCL between yesterday's cancellation of Joy from Jamaica and today's possible cancellation of Gem from DR?   

They made major announcements yesterday and had no clue then they would be 'freezing' the Gem?    

Edited by Sand and Seas

7 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

As of RIGHT NOW, my booking on the Gem is still showing.  I looked at a random excursion and it seems like I could have booked it.  It doesn't look canceled yet, but I'm sure much will be clearer in the morning.

We're booked on the Oct 10th Gem cruise.  Excursion options are still showing but when I pick one and click on "more details" the following wording appears in a little box:

i
We’re sorry, we have encountered an issue updating your reservation. Please contact Norwegian for assistance at 1-866-234-7350.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

I literally just booked Gem 8/15 a few hours ago and the CAS rep let me after my Joy cruise was cancelled. This is nonsense!

Seriously, how can we even trust NCL on ANY cruise they're begging us to book?  I know I don't.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Seriously, how can we even trust NCL on ANY cruise they're begging us to book?  I know I don't.  

I am not planning on booking anything in 2021 until I see NCL sail some cruises from the US this summer or fall. Then, maybe, I'll book something for Nov or Dec.

1 minute ago, BamaCruiser39 said:

Just got the official cancellation email from NCL: all Gem sailings are cancelled until at least October 10, 2021.

Absolutely disgusted with NCL's behavior.

I got the cancellation email, too, for our 9/26 Gem sailing. ☹️

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

I am not planning on booking anything in 2021 until I see NCL sail some cruises from the US this summer or fall. Then, maybe, I'll book something for Nov or Dec.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SplashOfWater said:

With NCL I'm in the "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me".  I've given them multiple opportunities to fool me, and they've done so each and every time.  I'm done with NCL, now, next year, next decade.  We'll see how I feel 15 years from now.

Huge eye roll.

"We have been working diligently towards our resumption of operations, focusing on providing you with the very best experience while keeping your health and safety at the forefront. As announced earlier this week, our highly anticipated U.S. return to service will begin with cruises at reduced capacity from Seattle to Alaska starting on August 7, 2021 with Norwegian Bliss. This means however, that we must unfortunately cancel voyages aboard Norwegian Gem with embarkation dates from August 15,
2021 through October 10, 2021."

19 minutes ago, BamaCruiser39 said:

Just got the official cancellation email from NCL: all Gem sailings are cancelled until at least October 10, 2021.

15 minutes ago, brngckn said:

I got the cancellation email, too, for our 9/26 Gem sailing. ☹️

I got mine too.  Oh well.  Onward in my search for new adventures - probably not immediately on NCL, but you never know.

Thanks to all of you about the heads up about the Gem's status.