Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

7 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

ok so.... Where is the Joy going if its not slated to begin service in Miami until after the Jamaica sailings were over anyway? Why piss all of your loyal guests that have reinvested FCC after FCC into you just to free up a ship to go... nowhere? Theres got to be more to this we dont know. 

The Joy will just float. Sounds like they were all set with the Joy but because of the announcement that ships can sail from US States NCL thought they’d profit more with a ship in Alaska from a domestic port than W Caribbean from an international one. The one thing Joy had that Bliss didn’t was a full crew. End result: us pax get screwed

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

The Joy will just float. Sounds like they were all set with the Joy but because of the announcement that ships can sail from US States NCL thought they’d profit more with a ship in Alaska from a domestic port than W Caribbean from an international one. The one thing Joy had that Bliss didn’t was a full crew. End result: us pax get screwed

Thanks. I get it. The asset wasnt the capacity or vessel itself but the all ready to go crew. Thx

13 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

The Joy will just float. Sounds like they were all set with the Joy but because of the announcement that ships can sail from US States NCL thought they’d profit more with a ship in Alaska from a domestic port than W Caribbean from an international one.

Can you imagine the expense of operating the Joy out of Jamaica. Having to transport provisions and fuel for 4500 passengers through the hurricane season to Jamaica weekly. Everything from food to booze to toilet paper to merchandise for the giftshops. Having to export all of that from the US and import it into Jamaica.

Profit, maybe. Prevent themselves from losing their shirt, just trying to get restarted, definitely. 

BTW: Where to you think that the crew schedule for the Joy are going???? Hint Hint... Alaska. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Well, we were new to NCL.   First timers after years of Carnival loyalty.   So much for that I suppose.   We paid our deposit using a CruiseNow certificate.    Does that mean they will refund it only as a CN certificate?   Or will they refund the purchase price since it was bought specifically for this cruise on the Joy?   Thanks to anyone who has NCL experience!   

4 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

Well, we were new to NCL.   First timers after years of Carnival loyalty.   So much for that I suppose.   We paid our deposit using a CruiseNow certificate.    Does that mean they will refund it only as a CN certificate?   Or will they refund the purchase price since it was bought specifically for this cruise on the Joy?   Thanks to anyone who has NCL experience!   

The Cert will be returned to your account

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Can you imagine the expense of operating the Joy out of Jamaica. Having to transport provisions and fuel for 4500 passengers through the hurricane season to Jamaica weekly. Everything from food to booze to toilet paper to merchandise for the giftshops. Having to export all of that from the US and import it into Jamaica.

Profit, maybe. Prevent themselves from losing their shirt, just trying to get restarted, definitely. 

BTW: Where to you think that the crew schedule for the Joy are going???? Hint Hint... Alaska. 

Exactly. NCL made it clear in the their announcement that Joy was cancelled to bring the crew to Bliss for The shortened Alaska season. See Page 10 of this thread.

For those who want to be heard, I spoke with the Resolutions Desk and while she said she couldn’t help me right then and there, that I should send in a case submission form.

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

While the 10% offered is laughable, my main issue is that if I rebook Bliss or Gem for the same week or even the week after, which is when I’m off from work, they can’t extend the air promo to me because it’s <90 days from sailing. I’m not trying to swindle NCL, I just want a fair resolution: my booking transferred. Had NCL made these changes two weeks ago I could have hopped over the to Gem easily!

1 minute ago, Alegeeter said:

For those who want to be heard, I spoke with the Resolutions Desk and while she said she couldn’t help me right then and there, that I should send in a case submission form.

While the 10% offered is laughable, my main issue is that if I rebook Bliss or Gem for the same week or even the week after, which is when I’m off from work, they can’t extend the air promo to me because it’s <90 days from sailing. I’m not trying to swindle NCL, I just want a fair resolution: my booking transferred. Had NCL made these changes two weeks ago I could have hopped over the to Gem easily!

Oh that is just not right.. now they are crossing the bait and switch line of commerce.  It is through their actions, you are no longer able to perform the contract agreed and paid - This is no longer Abstract Sense it now falls into Concrete Legal Sense. You are entitled to compensation equal to or greater than the breached signed contractual agreement.  

They cannot keep pushing out the goal posts after you paid and you did not MUTUALLY agree to terminate contract

**. I am NOT giving LEGAL advice 

How many Monte Carlo simulations did their Corporate Industrial Engineers run to come up with the optimal zero- sum-gain benefit of most return to NCL; to set the date of the announcement of the cruise cancellations for the most cost benefit to NCL and the biggest Loss to Customers...

Well maybe not intentional loss to customer but they certainly did not try to make an equitable solution or anything that would even remotely benefit the customer.  This is bordering on unfair business practices and could be a lot more..  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

Thanks.  I just submitted the form to see if they will allows us to book another cruise with the airfare promotion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 80sGal said:

We paid our deposit using a CruiseNow certificate.    Does that mean they will refund it only as a CN certificate?   Or will they refund the purchase price since it was bought specifically for this cruise on the Joy?

3 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

The Cert will be returned to your account

I've been away from NCL for a while, wasn't there a "changed your mind refund period", like 30 days or something?  Or is that a difference between a CruiseNow cert versus a CruiseNext?

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Then why offer it has a cruise! Was it just a vanity project for Del Ray?

if so it’s inexcusable? It’s just not fair

• Like 3

Has anyone's Joy cruises been cancelled yet and 10% off issued/re-issued.  NCL said it would be done today and my CAS rep won't even give me any resolution until the certificate is back in account and cruise is officially cancelled - mine is even askiing me to and allowing me to make final payment🙄

38 minutes ago, kimandtim said:

Has anyone's Joy cruises been cancelled yet and 10% off issued/re-issued.  NCL said it would be done today and my CAS rep won't even give me any resolution until the certificate is back in account and cruise is officially cancelled - mine is even askiing me to and allowing me to make final payment🙄

I have not received a refund of my CruiseNext back on my account. I had to book my Sky sailing last night with a CruiseFirst and a different FCC I had on my account, since my CruiseNext weren't back.

Weirdly, the "Your cruise is on hold" screen is gone now too...

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kimandtim said:

My Sept 18 booking is gone and the 10% off coupon is in my account.  I just looked.  Never received any email though...

• Like 1

Sigh... reading this thread just reminds me that screwing over passengers is the rule with NCL, not the exception. It's easy to chalk this up to chasing profits, but from my experience, it's total incompetence and lack of leadership. It's so perplexing... NCL has to realize that eventually poor word of mouth will catch up with the flashy ads and mailers. 

I thought my experience was a one-off with the debacle around our changed homeport then last minute canceled Feb 2020 Southeast Asia Jade cruise, but now I realize it's an endemic problem with the line and management. We've got two future cruise credits purchased in 2018, but at this point we'll probably just let them expire and let NCL keep that money. I'd feel particularly bad selling them to someone else, knowing they might get shafted by NCL in the same way so many of us have been.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I thought my experience was a one-off with the debacle around our changed homeport then last minute canceled Feb 2020 Southeast Asia Jade cruise

Believe me that I am the furthest thing from any kind of NCL cheerleader, but based on the dates was the problem you're describing due to the incoming pandemic? I feel like that was concurrent with the Diamond Princess situation unfolding.

More curious than anything. 

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I have not received a refund of my CruiseNext back on my account. I had to book my Sky sailing last night with a CruiseFirst and a different FCC I had on my account, since my CruiseNext weren't back.

Weirdly, the "Your cruise is on hold" screen is gone now too...

Everything is back in my account...even the 25% FCC credit and the 10% discount on future cruise.

But, no matter....I don't care.  I want a full refund of my original amount paid to them over a year ago.

Funny thing is, one of the previous cruises I had scheduled on the Bliss was to Alaska leaving this weekend.  

Still, I'm finished with NCL!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Everything is back in my account...even the 25% FCC credit and the 10% discount on future cruise.

But, no matter....I don't care.  I want a full refund of my original amount paid to them over a year ago.

Funny thing is, one of the previous cruises I had scheduled on the Bliss was to Alaska leaving this weekend.  

Still, I'm finished with NCL!

We've decided to suck it up, sail on the Sky out of Miami for the same weeks we were supposed to be on the Joy out of Jamaica, use up all of our credits and move on from NCL. Booked a sailing on the Celebrity Edge for January 2022 as our first post-NCL cruise. Hoping to check out a few different lines over the next year or two.

• Like 5

NCL and FDR have long dismissed one of the most important commandments of the travel industry.  Don't F*ck with peoples vacations.  The flag wavers are learning this the hard way.  I emphasize with your pain.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We've decided to suck it up, sail on the Sky out of Miami for the same weeks we were supposed to be on the Joy out of Jamaica, use up all of our credits and move on from NCL. Booked a sailing on the Celebrity Edge for January 2022 as our first post-NCL cruise. Hoping to check out a few different lines over the next year or two.

Good for you.  I know how much work you put into the plans for your family.  I understand why you're sailing.

I actually looked at the Bliss-Alaska cruise.  But, I refuse to give NCL my money, ever again.

I have a call into my TA to see how long it will take to get my NCL refund, and will probably book Celebrity out of FLL this July, instead, unless she has other ideas, which she's usually pretty creative with.

10 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Believe me that I am the furthest thing from any kind of NCL cheerleader, but based on the dates was the problem you're describing due to the incoming pandemic? I feel like that was concurrent with the Diamond Princess situation unfolding.

More curious than anything. 

Long (LONG) story, but we were booked on a Hong Kong to Singapore Jade sailing. 

Looking at the COVID situation, every single line pulled out of HK in January... except for NCL. Royal, Dream, Crystal, all changed their voyages, realizing that HK was not going to be an option. NCL insisted it was... then had their hand forced when HK closed the port 11 days before sailing.

NCL frantically changed the trip to round trip Singapore, and said they'd pay for everyone to rebook round trip flights. 

Three days before sailing, NCL just canceled the trip outright (while many European passengers were already en-route to Singapore). 

They then sent out a new email saying "surprise, we actually meant we'd just pay $300 in flight changes, not the fare difference like we originally said." Lots of people had spent $$$ to change their flights at the last minute based on NCL's earlier communication. I spent months emailing "guest services" before they finally agreed to refund the full difference. Many passengers from the roll call just took the $300 and walked away exasperated. 

NCL also gave us a 25% discount on a future cruise... which had to be on a sailing before Feb 2021! When we asked for an extension and expressed confusion over how we were supposed to use this when all sailings were canceled, the response was essentially "tough luck." 

So yes, totally COVID related, but also a great example of NCL's complete mismanagement shoreside, and ruthless customer service response. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Three days before sailing, NCL just canceled the trip outright (while many European passengers were already en-route to Singapore). 

They then sent out a new email saying "surprise, we actually meant we'd just pay $300 in flight changes, not the fare difference like we originally said." Lots of people had spent $$$ to change their flights at the last minute based on NCL's earlier communication. I spent months emailing "guest services" before they finally agreed to refund the full difference. Many passengers from the roll call just took the $300 and walked away exasperated. 

Ok, yep, this actually sounds familiar now, and pretty on-brand for NCL.

(I remember RCL doing something similar during Hurricane Harvey (I think it was Harvey) ... refusing to cancel and insisting that customers were just going to have to make their way to Galveston in the middle of the storm.) 

It's a hard industry to defend most of the time. 

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Good luck....I moved my Sept 18 cruise over to Celebrity sailing out of Lauderdale.  2 aft cabins booked so far.  Transportation to Lauderdale from ATL is a breeze.