Sky high pricing out of Tampa this July

Have no interest in going in July, but was looking for current price on our already booked 5 nighter on Brilliance in November. July prices are over $1400 a person for an inside on 7 night cruises. Never seen this type of pricing for a ship that is somewhat older. I knew prices would climb somewhat when cruises return, but not to this level.

Edited by coaster

I wonder if Brilliance will even be able to sail from Tampa this summer.  Cruise info seems to center around the east coast terminals.  hope I am wrong since we have many Brilliance booked this fall. '

The pricing in the fall is higher than usual but I realize that Royal had to put a lot of changes ($) into their ship to begin to satisfy Safe Sail requirements.

2 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I think it’s a trend when Royal plans to cancel or move a sailing. It keeps people from booking just to lift and shift or try to get 125% FCC.

A lot of people have been booking just to work the system

It makes sense to raise prices to preclude a L&S but wouldn’t raising the price just give someone an even greater 125% FCC to use in the future ?

10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

It makes sense to raise prices to preclude a L&S but wouldn’t raising the price just give someone an even greater 125% FCC to use in the future ?

Yes, that's called the @Thorben-Hendrikscheme, whereby you guess which sailing is bound to get cancelled and you book it for the potential benefits.

• Like 1

Think about it this way. You pay 4,000 for a cruise for next month that you know isn’t going to sail. When it’s canceled you take the 125% FCC (extra $1,000 free) to use on another sailing. I’ve seen several posts the last year of people doing this...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Think about it this way. You pay 4,000 for a cruise for next month that you know isn’t going to sail. When it’s canceled you take the 125% FCC (extra $1,000 free) to use on another sailing. I’ve seen several posts the last year of people doing this...

Yes.  I got that.  Higher price will yield a higher FCC.  Good for the cruiser, bad for the cruise line.  I do get that a higher cruise price would deter someone from booking just to get the L&S but it would ENcourage someone to book for a higher FCC.

3 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Yes.  I got that.  Higher price will yield a higher FCC.  Good for the cruiser, bad for the cruise line.  I do get that a higher cruise price would deter someone from booking just to get the L&S but it would ENcourage someone to book for a higher FCC.

My thoughts are if they price it high enough people might not want to take the risk even for a a 25%. Comes to a point most people can only you can so much FCC before it expires 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Wouldn't the risk be if you needed the $4000 because of a change in circumstances, the fact that you took the FCC preclude you from getting a refund later in the future? 

There is a much publicized case here on the news about a couple who had booked a $40,000 family cruise, accepted an FCC and later asked for a refund and were refused.  The news channel they went to tried to find them resolution but they are still waiting...in this case it was NCL but I think RCI has the same policy.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/responds/man-turned-to-nbc-6-responds-for-help-in-40000-cruise-refund-fight/2453301/ 

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wouldn't the risk be if you needed the $4000 because of a change in circumstances, the fact that you took the FCC preclude you from getting a refund later in the future? 

There is a much publicized case here on the news about a couple who had booked a $40,000 family cruise, accepted an FCC and later asked for a refund and were refused.  The news channel they went to tried to find them resolution but they are still waiting...in this case it was NCL but I think RCI has the same policy.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/responds/man-turned-to-nbc-6-responds-for-help-in-40000-cruise-refund-fight/2453301/ 

First time I’ve read that! I feel for them but at the same time the FCC has been explained in detail that you can’t get a refund after taking so I’m not sure if the cruise line should be on the hook... 

Just now, CruisingHogFan said:

First time I’ve read that! I feel for them but at the same time the FCC has been explained in detail that you can’t get a refund after taking so I’m not sure if the cruise line should be on the hook... 

Could be but they are claiming they didn't know what an FCC was or what it meant.

Limited capacity, tbh 1400 is lower than my cruise in sept. Carnival out of Galveston the cheapest was about $1900 last time I checked vista. My sept date was $1500 for a inside, deck 1 or 2 on vista. Too high for me. Prices are crazy to cruise near term. 

I think it's all cruiselines are high to cruise in the next few months. Not just rcl. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

My thoughts are if they price it high enough people might not want to take the risk even for a a 25%. Comes to a point most people can only you can so much FCC before it expires 

Gotcha.  👍

Between pent up demand, low capacity, and staffing issues all travel is going to be expensive for the next year. Add in the capacity controls mentioned previously and cruising will be expensive 

• Like 1

Same type of gouging at Cape Liberty in Bayonne.   Price is $2115 for 2 in the lowest category interior for a 5-nighter on the Freedom to Bermuda in October.....the height of hurricane season and kids are back in school.   Can't be too many takers for that one.

Some posts mention limited capacity. Has Royal even stated that they are limiting bookings?

Ended up switching to a sailing a few weeks earlier in October as we were going to originally sail with my teenage nieces in November. Told their mother last night that they need to be vaccinated to go. She said she does not plan on doing that, so switched to a cheaper date without them and I can get an aft balcony as I have more options without needing a quad. Glad I booked refundable originally.

Edited by coaster
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Same type of gouging at Cape Liberty in Bayonne.   Price is $2115 for 2 in the lowest category interior for a 5-nighter on the Freedom to Bermuda in October.....the height of hurricane season and kids are back in school.   Can't be too many takers for that one.

Guess it depends. Rebooked Brilliance 5 nighter in October out of Tampa at under $1300 for the 2 of us in an aft balcony.  Some cruises are insanely high and others not so much.....

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1