Biden approved Alaska Cruise today.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:08 PM, TNcruising02 said:

This is great.  I wonder if they will even request passports or birth certificates since the cruise is within the US.

The ship will leave US waters so who knows.  If Canada allows excursions like the train, you will need a passport.

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

The ship will leave US waters so who knows.  If Canada allows excursions like the train, you will need a passport.

The cruise won't be stopping in Canada.  When you fly to Hawaii, you leave US waters, but don't need a passport or birth certificate.  I was just curious.  I am not sailing on any of those cruises to Alaska, although I would like to someday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I anticipate they will be requiring vaccinations, but of course it's anyone's guess at this point. I understand otherwise cruise lines have to do some sort of "simulated" cruises, whatever those are. Personally I'd like the crew and passengers to all be vaccinated, but I know there are problems there also with youngsters, existing medical situations, availability of the vaccine for the crew, etc, etc. Time will tell. I am just anxious to feel a ship under my feet and watch the ocean go by.......😎

Doug

They won't be announcing mandatory vaccines for sailings out of anywhere else except Alaska.  The CDC gave th cruise lines 2 options and they will be following RCL with test cruises.

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The cruise won't be stopping in Canada.  When you fly to Hawaii, you leave US waters, but don't need a passport or birth certificate.  I was just curious.  I am not sailing on any of those cruises to Alaska, although I would like to someday.

He doesn't mean it will stop at a Canadian port. There is train excursion which goes into Canada from Skagway. I suspect that will not be possible either.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

He doesn't mean it will stop at a Canadian port. There is train excursion which goes into Canada from Skagway. I suspect that will not be possible either.

With the way Canada has shut its border, that's a safe assumption. (If I remember correctly, we took that excursion in Alaska, and we did need to show our passports.)

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

With the way Canada has shut its border, that's a safe assumption. (If I remember correctly, we took that excursion in Alaska, and we did need to show our passports.)

Took it a few times....needed a passport.  

On 5/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Aplmac said:

This is the first time

that the Passenger Vessel Services Act has been touched

in about 135 years

- that's a long time for legislation to evolve.

Not quite correct.  First off, the Act has been modified about 40 years ago to allow multiple stops in the US (prior to that, it was considered that if you got off in a second US port for a port of call visit, that you were transported there, hence in violation), with the wording changed to be "permanently disembarked" at a second US port.  Then there was the modification about 20 years ago, allowing cruises to nowhere (which are still legal under the PVSA).  Then there was the exemption granted for Puerto Rico about 20 years ago.  And the exemptions given for the limited number of Canadian vessels that provide passenger service in areas of the Great Lakes and the Pacific Northwest, where the exemption is only until a viable US flag alternative is created.  This is also not a "change" to the PVSA, it is a waiver for the specific ships listed in the bill, and individual ship waivers have been allowed many times in the past, witness the Pride of America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding passports and such.  Pride of America only requires a government photo ID, like a driver's license for US citizens.

CBP may have some headaches with this, since according to the bill, the passengers will be on a domestic voyage, while the crew, in order to get around the crew visa issue, are "deemed" to have entered Canada, simply because the ship submits a crew list to Canadian immigrations, whether that list is accepted by Canada or not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not quite correct. 

First off, the Act has been modified about 40 years ago

to allow multiple stops in the US (prior to that, it was considered that if you got off in a second US port for a port of call visit, that you were transported there, hence in violation), with the wording changed to be "permanently disembarked" at a second US port. 

Then there was the modification about 20 years ago, allowing cruises to nowhere (which are still legal under the PVSA). 

Then there was the exemption granted for Puerto Rico about 20 years ago. 

And the exemptions given for the limited number of Canadian vessels that provide passenger service in areas of the Great Lakes and the Pacific Northwest, where the exemption is only until a viable US flag alternative is created. 

This is also not a "change" to the PVSA, it is a waiver for the specific ships listed in the bill, and individual ship waivers have been allowed many times in the past, witness the Pride of America.

Many thanks for the multiple corrections. Much appreciated.

I found it a bit unreal that the legislation hadn't evolved in 135 yrs.

and I'm happy that it has been adjusted/improved!

As always, you fill us in with the real stuff! Thanks again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

They won't be announcing mandatory vaccines for sailings out of anywhere else except Alaska.  The CDC gave th cruise lines 2 options and they will be following RCL with test cruises.

*Why RCL (did you mean RCI or RCCL?). It will be interesting to see how this all progresses. Our first cruise isn't until December 2021 out of NOLA, so we all ought to see some data, perhaps anecdotal, on how cruises are "doing". I'm hoping there will be no 'significant' C19 cases......I know I am not alone!  And I do not know what significant means either!😳

* Never mind, I just say this: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6146/?preview=1&et_cid=3433367&et_rid=268072394&et_referrer=

Edited by PaperSniper4