How fast can Majestic sail from Seattle to LA? 😂

SwimCarrie

There are a lot of unknowns at this point for our October 5th Majestic sailing out of LA, but am I the only one who has done the math? How on earth can the Majestic disembark passengers in Seattle on 10/3 and get to LA by 10/5 to embark new passengers? Please tell me I'm missing something? Of all the logistics I'm worried about, our ship not being there wasn't a concern until now! Lol. Someone set my mind at ease. 🤷

Not sure I can set your mind at ease. Did a quick measurement using Google Earth and it's roughly 1200 nm from Seattle to LA. It would take sailing at 25 knots to cover that in 48 hours but to account for leaving Seattle say around 2PM and arriving LA at 6AM that would require 30 knots. That said, the California Current averages maybe 3.5 knots to the Majestic would have to sail an average of only 26.5 knots. Unfortunately her maximum speed is only 23 knots so even with a favorable current ALL THE WAY, it would take about 45 hours and 30 minutes. Adding say another two hours for getting in and out of ports and we're back to almost 48 hours. All this said, I'm not a mariner (private aircraft pilot though) so there are plenty of other factors to consider. It's close enough for me to think this is a "doable" trip. If the Majestic leaves Seattle around noon (assuming the aren't embarking new passengers) and arrives in LA at noon for a 1PM embarkation, it might just work.

• Like 1

There isn't a 10/3/21 cruise from Seattle and they should get everyone off by 10am. Anyway they used to. Might even be faster with medallion. 

What is the latest they could board in LA? 

• Like 1

By my charts, Seattle to San Pedro is about 1060  miles, so if my math is right, the sailing time at 23 knots is 46 hours. So if they left Seattle at 10AM on Sunday, they'd be in San Pedro by 8AM on Tuesday, Oct 5.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Not sure I can set your mind at ease. Did a quick measurement using Google Earth and it's roughly 1200 nm from Seattle to LA. It would take sailing at 25 knots to cover that in 48 hours but to account for leaving Seattle say around 2PM and arriving LA at 6AM that would require 30 knots. That said, the California Current averages maybe 3.5 knots to the Majestic would have to sail an average of only 26.5 knots. Unfortunately her maximum speed is only 23 knots so even with a favorable current ALL THE WAY, it would take about 45 hours and 30 minutes. Adding say another two hours for getting in and out of ports and we're back to almost 48 hours. All this said, I'm not a mariner (private aircraft pilot though) so there are plenty of other factors to consider. It's close enough for me to think this is a "doable" trip. If the Majestic leaves Seattle around noon (assuming the aren't embarking new passengers) and arrives in LA at noon for a 1PM embarkation, it might just work.

22 knots is only 25 mph.  At best it would take about 58 hours to go from Seattle to LA.  It's 1,274 NM or 1,466 actual miles.  If you were ever curious about the distance between ports, here you go (it's already set up for Seattle to LA):  LINK.  You can put in the max speed as well and it'll tell you how long it would take as well.  One thing to also remember, Seattle is not right on the Pacific. You'd need to travel through Puget Sound and Strait Of Juan De Fuca, so it's not exactly a straight shot.

Basically, no way a cruise ship can make it in that time the OP asked about....

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

Don’t forget about the slow zone off the coast of Northern California to San Pedro for the migrating whales.  

That is if the ship goes on the inside passage, along the coast between the Channel Islands. If it stays 40nm off the coast there are no restrictions.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

22 knots is only 25 mph.  At best it would take about 58 hours to go from Seattle to LA.  It's 1,274 NM or 1,466 actual miles.  If you were ever curious about the distance between ports, here you go (it's already set up for Seattle to LA):  LINK.

Not sure why the LINK thing says it 1274, I just looked at another distance resource, the U.S NOAA and it says the distance between Seattle and LA is 1,144 miles, which at 23 knots is a little over 48 hours. Still plenty of time to make a 4PM departure. (if you click the link, a PDF pops up, however your browser handles pdf files).

I am pretty confident that Princess is comfortable with the time they have to move the ship.

• Like 3

So, it looks like my drawing connected lines in Google Earth (yes, I did account for Seattle being in the sound but I did go inside the Channel Islands, not outside) got me pretty close as far as estimating goes! Looks like all that time staring at the voyage charts that Princess auctions off each trip has helped. 😁

Seems like boarding could be delayed until late afternoon and sailing could be later in the evening. It looks like 55 to 60 hours. Maybe catching the southbound current will shorten the time. Believe ship's top speed is 22 knots, but maybe there is a flank speed that is a few knots higher. I also think there are some speed restrictions around the Channel Islands. Good question.

• Like 1

I hope Princess actually has a plan to go to LA! It would seem they want the revenue of a booked cruise and will do what they can to make it happen...*but* I definitely won't be an early bird like I normally am. Lol. It's one thing to get to the airport and your plane isn't there yet, it's totally different if your cruise ship isn't there! Haha. It's late check out for us!!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scottca075 said:

By my charts, Seattle to San Pedro is about 1060  miles, so if my math is right, the sailing time at 23 knots is 46 hours. So if they left Seattle at 10AM on Sunday, they'd be in San Pedro by 8AM on Tuesday, Oct 5.

and sooner with a favoring wind  

• Like 2